Qualifications...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well 4 weeks to go and i am fully qualified in my VTCT Certificate!!! Just wondering if anyone has any good advice for me when going into the industry?
Aso im itching to do another course but really dont know what in is it worth maybe completing a beauty course has anyone any experience of this and have you found it useful?

I suppose the more qualifications the better really. But i find all your opinions helpful!

Thanks Lou xxx

If your passion is for nails, why join the ranks of 10 billion wanna be beauticians?? :?: There are LOADS of excellent Therapists - we need MORE excellent nail teks!! If you can do both great, but will you??? Most Beauty Therapists who do nail courses (I'm saying most NOT all) do so because there has been a need for nails in the salon they work in OR own!! Problem is, they do the course and go back to full time beauty treatments (their comfort zone) doing one set 'once in a while' meanwhile never getting really good at enhancements!! Now some have fallen in love with nails and quit the beauty side :shock: It is not impossible to do both but think carefully before pouring more money into education that you may never use!! Hope that helps a little :rolleyes: ;)

Hi Lou,
I have to say I started doing nails the same time as doing beauty and I found I never had enough time to practice everything.
I found I preferred nails, eye treatments, body tanning and massage, I absolutely hate waxing which is what is most common......
Like Mrs Geek says, if you have a passion for nails, then extend your knowledge in that field and get more training with a good quality educator, it can only enhance what you`ve already learnt.
If you learn in too many different areas you could end up Jack of all trades and master of none.....

I'm in a similar position. I took my Creative Foundation Course 3 years ago, and up till now have been working full time and only doing nails part time. Now I've moved over to Dublin and will be doing nails full time from a little home 'salon', and want to improve upon my skills and was thinking about booking myself on the Creative Master Course. Can anyone tell me what this involves please? My only concern is that I'll have to provide a number of different models to practice on (I was told this a few years ago) and having just moved here, I'm a bit of a 'Billie-No-Mates', or 'Jackie-Not-Enough-Clients'. Is there anyway around having to find models whith various shaped nails? And does anyone know of any other nail-related training (I'm hooked on certificates!) in the Dublin area? I've tried phoning around but keep hitting brick walls. :?

Thanks
Jackie

Having read the first post PROPERLY (I have a terrible habit of 'speed-reading' and not very good speed-reading at that!), I realise this post is more to do with Beauty Qualifications - sorry Geek - didn't mean to digress!! :shock:

Thanx for all your replies!

My main passion is nails but to be honest ive got the passion to learn i want ot know all there is too know! You know how it is soooo much too learn but not enough time!

Can anyone suggest what further courses to do to advance my knowledge of nails, i do lots of my own research but how do i go about learning about further education in the nail industry.

Lou xxx :D

louise said:
Thanx for all your replies!

My main passion is nails but to be honest ive got the passion to learn i want ot know all there is too know! You know how it is soooo much too learn but not enough time!

Can anyone suggest what further courses to do to advance my knowledge of nails, i do lots of my own research but how do i go about learning about further education in the nail industry.

Hi Lou,

I am with the rest of them on this. Jack of all trades etc.

If you are only just about to finish your VTCT then I suggest you wait until you have a few clients to get some practice and recoup some of your finances. Then I would suggest doing a good quality manufacturers conversion course and working towards enhanced training over say the next year or so.

If you spend 6 months say, only doing training then you will not get a feel for the real world so to speak and will have so much stuff going round in your head. Get out and do some nails LOL.

Hope that helps.

Thanx Fiona,

You seem to have alot of qulaifications ( been on your web site!) where did you get the information on where and when the courses begin?

Like you have said i am going to concentrate on building my clientel then go on to further training. How far can you go? I suppose that is like how long is a piece of string eh!?!

louise said:
Thanx Fiona,

You seem to have alot of qulaifications ( been on your web site!) where did you get the information on where and when the courses begin?

Like you have said i am going to concentrate on building my clientel then go on to further training. How far can you go? I suppose that is like how long is a piece of string eh!?!

Like you say, how long is a piece of string LOL.

The best thing to do is subscribe to the nail magazines (if you dont already) - Nails, Scratch, Professional Nails - see if you can get a sample copy to find the one(s) you like. They have details of training courses sometimes but also lots of info on the different companies.

But also keep asking questions on here - best place to find out what's hip and happening LOL.

How far can you go? - the world is your oyster - ultimately you can go into educating, travelling the world, film sets etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back