Qualified beauty therapist wasting qualification

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kari123

Reaction score
Hi

I am qualified in levels 2 and 3 in beauty therapy. I finished my last course 2 years in June. However since qualifying I've barely done any thing with my qualifications. I struggle with depression and anxiety and my confidence is non existant. I do family as the odd friend of the family but that's as far as it goes. I set up a business facebook page and got some business cards printed. The thought of actually handing these out and putting myself out there scares the life out of me. I am so self critical and really hard on myself that I won't be good enough. I've not any complaints and know i put my all into my treatments. I doubt myself people will think I take too long with my shellac treatments or the pressure with my massages isn't hard enough etc. How did you all start out. Obviously the fact someone is newly qualified seems to put people off as they want someone with experience. But how am I meant to get experience and build confidence. My partner isn't very nice and constantly puts me down. Hes always calling me lazy and telling me I've done 2 years training doe nothing and I'll never make anything of myself. I want to do this so bad for me and my kids future. Also to prove my partner wrong and I can have my own business. How do I overcome my confidence problems as it's holding me back. When I did my training I had an eyebrow wax to pass but my teacher just passed it all off without me actually doing one. Now a simple eyebrow wax freaks me out and should be the easiest waxing treatment. Am I able to so a refresh course just in eyebrows as already I've had so many people want me to so them and I make up all excuses to get out of it. HELP!! thanks for your time x x

HI

Where abouts are you let me know and will see if I can help

shiv

Id really appreciate it if anyone could please give me some advice or tips? X thanks for your time xx

Hi why don’t you do a refresh course in brows, there are lots of courses around.

I think that would help with confidence.

You also just need to do as many clients as possible as that will really help you xxx

Hi why don’t you do a refresh course in brows, there are lots of courses around.

I think that would help with confidence.

You also just need to do as many clients as possible as that will really help you xxx
Hi that's what I thought. I've been looking but there are so many courses. I'll keep looking but will definitely be doing another course just in brows like you said to boost confidence. Just to figure out which company to go with. Thanks

Hi that's what I thought. I've been looking but there are so many courses. I'll keep looking but will definitely be doing another course just in brows like you said to boost confidence. Just to figure out which company to go with. Thanks
Yes I agree research your courses

Iv recently started back in to the beauty business so similar to you in regards to confidence

I have done a couple of course that are more interested in taking your money rather that training you so be careful

Good luck x

You don't need any other courses.

You need to dump that arse that keeps putting you down!!

You don't need any other courses.

You need to dump that arse that keeps putting you down!!
From what I can gather from her op is that the teacher passed her without her even doing an eyebrow shape?!

Hope I got that wrong but if she had a bad course, it would be beneficial to do another course

Oh my I’m exactly the same as you! Beauty was/is my dream but my confidence is so low I’ve barely done anything. I have no tips for you as I’m struggling myself ... but

I’d have a serious chat with your partner about how he’s treating you. If he isn’t willing to change you need to seriously consider leaving him ... you deserve someone who will build you up not tear you down! Xx

I think the best thing to do is just keep practicing on as many people as you can. Find a local event near you and volunteer to do treatments for them and have business cards ready to hand out to people. For me I always feel like I’m not doing an amazing, very mastered job in order to charge them and that’s where I loose my confidence. Which is not something we should focus on because if we don’t do as much as we can then we won’t be able to ever master, and that right there is where your confidence will boost! If you don’t have the money for refresher courses there is always YouTube. It’s free and it’s sometimes videos from real professionals from the industry or people just like you starting out and testing things out. Watching and hearing other people’s tutorials will help you too. Just jump in and dive into it! You will make yourself proud xx

The thing that jumps out at me is that you are in a bad relationship.
I would suggest a brow course, maybe college courses they are often only 3 hours and very friendly small groups and cheap about £40 a class or so, I’m also sure some of the ladies nearby would offer to help give you some in salon experience so you can watch them at work or maybe have a go under their supervision.

Good luck, start working on your abilities and open up your options x

Hey, reading this you sound so much like me when I first left college and headed out to the work place. All those feelings I felt that way too and all I can say is you just have to go put yourself out there and do it. I left college with no confidence and quite frankly very little treatment and customer experience. Barely any decent salon would take me on because i had no salon experience, I’d even advertised myself on gumtree because i struggled. Salons took me on eventually and it wasn’t all great in the beginning but i never gave up and moved on when a better opportunity came my way. The more experience the more employable you will be. And over time You will get quicker and more efficient at performing your treatments the more you do it. It’s frustrating because in order you have to get better you have to practice and it’s so daunting when you have to perform on paying clients . Just continue to practice on your friends and family as much as you can and hopefully a good firm will employ you that will offer the extra training you need to boost your confidence and then may even offer your treatments at a discounted price to ease off the pressure, well that’s what I would do if I had my own salon. I too used to be almost scared to communicate with strangers but it’s a part of the job, you can’t avoid it and it will do your anxiety a world of good, it did me I’m so much more socially confident even outside of work and my regulars well they start to become your friends, it’s lovely. It may well be tough in the beginning but 6 years later and I’m in a good salon and am taking my best wage yet , but I too am still learning now . Be observant, ask questions, learn from your mistakes and practice, practice, practice. I hope I’ve helped you feel better.

Hi

I am qualified in levels 2 and 3 in beauty therapy. I finished my last course 2 years in June. However since qualifying I've barely done any thing with my qualifications. I struggle with depression and anxiety and my confidence is non existant. I do family as the odd friend of the family but that's as far as it goes. I set up a business facebook page and got some business cards printed. The thought of actually handing these out and putting myself out there scares the life out of me. I am so self critical and really hard on myself that I won't be good enough. I've not any complaints and know i put my all into my treatments. I doubt myself people will think I take too long with my shellac treatments or the pressure with my massages isn't hard enough etc. How did you all start out. Obviously the fact someone is newly qualified seems to put people off as they want someone with experience. But how am I meant to get experience and build confidence. My partner isn't very nice and constantly puts me down. Hes always calling me lazy and telling me I've done 2 years training doe nothing and I'll never make anything of myself. I want to do this so bad for me and my kids future. Also to prove my partner wrong and I can have my own business. How do I overcome my confidence problems as it's holding me back. When I did my training I had an eyebrow wax to pass but my teacher just passed it all off without me actually doing one. Now a simple eyebrow wax freaks me out and should be the easiest waxing treatment. Am I able to so a refresh course just in eyebrows as already I've had so many people want me to so them and I make up all excuses to get out of it. HELP!! thanks for your time x x
Hi. I am a Hypnotherapist. I know if you had some Hypnotherapy with a recognised Therapist you would not feel anxious and would be full of confidence. Xx

Latest posts

Back