Question about long toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hi again,

I didn't want to post my next question under the same posting about scrub brushes so here we go with my next post..

I did an elderly lady's toes last night and they were very long.. She is suffering from dementia and it has been a few months since her last pedicure appointment. They found me because I am mobile and it suited the family better to have me come to her. Anyhow, after soaking her toes, I took her nail polish off with a little acetone and saw that she has some minor onycholoysis on one of her toes. (She also has psoriasis all over her legs which is being treated and has never been an issue with her monthly pedicure appointments). Anyways, her feet are in great condition, toes seemed to be in great condition as well, a little yellow and dehydrated but nothing abnormal, other than because they were so long, I noticed that there appeared to be some white softened skin underneath and her big toenails were thickened (apparently very normal and hasn't been an issue in the past). My first concern was that she could be developing a fungus, but the daughter swore that it has never been an issue and her toenails grow so fast that there always seems to be some softened skin underneath and the previous nail tech was never concerned about a fungus (she was also certified and licensed). So my question is...because there was a couple month gap in between and because her nails were so long could it be the start of a fungus or am I being paranoid?? I've looked at pictures and have gone back in my text book to do some additional reading and it doesn't appear to be a fungus..no crumbling nails, in fact they're quite strong. I advised that maybe she should see her family doctor to rule out a fungus if the white build-up of skin underneath does not subside now that the nails are shorter, and also advised to scrub underneath her toenails with a nail brush because they do grow so quickly.

Latest posts

Back