Question about longeivity of Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskimonailtech

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just had someone call and ask why her Shellac was lasting 3-4 weeks when she got it done in California, but only lasting 2 when she's back home here (Canada).

I honestly had no clue what to say! How would I know what each of her tech's is using? How should I address something like that in the future?

Also, while I'm at it, I had a client today who had discount nails done, and she took them off herself, but there was one piece of "gel" remaining on her left hand, ring finger, that was so freaking adhered to her nail, that I'm almost certain it was through to her bed of her nail. It looked like there was old blood underneath. And she said her nails hurt so bad, she had to take tylenol!

Just thought I'd share that.

Any ideas on what to say about the above thing?

Hi everyone,

I just had someone call and ask why her Shellac was lasting 3-4 weeks when she got it done in California, but only lasting 2 when she's back home here (Canada).

I honestly had no clue what to say! How would I know what each of her tech's is using? How should I address something like that in the future?

Also, while I'm at it, I had a client today who had discount nails done, and she took them off herself, but there was one piece of "gel" remaining on her left hand, ring finger, that was so freaking adhered to her nail, that I'm almost certain it was through to her bed of her nail. It looked like there was old blood underneath. And she said her nails hurt so bad, she had to take tylenol!

Just thought I'd share that.

Any ideas on what to say about the above thing?

Hmmm? Thats an awkward one!
You could suggest that perhaps the californian tech prepared the nails differently or something along those lines??
Or you could try the possibilty of climate differences affecting the longevity maybe?
I'm not a shellac expert so i'm just throwing out random ideas lol. X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Yes, that's exactly what I did.

I mentioned that Shellac should only be on your nails for two weeks, whether it lasts 4 or 40. It needs to be redone at two. And I said that climate is different (VERY) so that may add to it. I also asked what the bottles looked like, and she couldn't tell me. But she did say the one here has been buffing her nails before application, which we all know shouldn't be done with Shellac.

Anyways. I think I said the right things, just want to make sure for next time. I get a lot of people treating my phone line like it's 1-800-WikiBeauty

Haha thats hilarious! You're like the Samaritans of the nail industry. I suppose climatic differences would have an effect in some way and yes, even I know there should be no buffing of natural nail, although I had to smooth a ladies nail bed on tuesday as she had a really tatty nail plate from where her nss acrylics had been prized off. X

Yeah, I've had to smooth a couple. But I think she meant like roughing it up.

I really am. I get people calling and asking the most random things. I don't really mind it. Makes me enjoy answering the phone more :lick: Although I had a noshow last night, which kind of annoyed me. So now I'm taking a little more detailed info when people book appointments.

although I had to smooth a ladies nail bed on tuesday

That should have said nail surface lol, its been a loooooong day lol x

Her bed was wrinkly, eh? :lol:

Yeah, I've had to smooth a couple. But I think she meant like roughing it up.

I really am. I get people calling and asking the most random things. I don't really mind it. Makes me enjoy answering the phone more :lick: Although I had a noshow last night, which kind of annoyed me. So now I'm taking a little more detailed info when people book appointments.

Oh I hate that, its beyond rudeness and it makes my blood boil. You'll have to start dishing out a few etiquette lessons to people x

Maybe she's a little windy? Lol. Really, though. I did a set of L&P and after 2 weeks, she came back for a refill and said to me, "The last set of nails I got done lasted 6 weeks and I didn't even have to get a refill and these already need refilled after 2 weeks!" :smack:

Some things clients tell us we just have to brush off as crap. :)

Beware: there are many salons all over the place profitting off of the reputation of Shellac, while not actually using the product or ANYTHING from CND.

It's very possible she had something other than Shellac, but had been lied to. It might have been simply a coloured uv gel. Quite different from Shellac.
It's also possible that when she was in Cali, her lifestyle was different, thereby causing the application to last longer and vice versa here.

She could also be using a product or exposing her hands to products here, to which they weren't exposed over there....

When in doubt, use the glove rule: "if you wouldn't stick your face in it, don't stick your hands in it without gloves. Your skin and natural nails need protection as much as your face does".
That's what I tell my clients.

hth's

When in doubt, use the glove rule: "if you wouldn't stick your face in it, don't stick your hands in it without gloves. Your skin and natural nails need protection as much as your face does".
That's what I tell my clients.

hth's

I like this, I shall pass this on to mine too x

"if you wouldn't stick your face in it, don't stick your hands in it without gloves. Your skin and natural nails need protection as much as your face does".

Love that!

Yes, I told her it possibly wasn't Shellac. Although I'm finding these type of people don't seem to care. Whatever lasts longest, right?!

Latest posts

Back