Question for all experienced hair stylists, should I change my career?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpurpz93

Reaction score
I am a 22 year old female hair stylist from the north of the UK. I attended college to gain my NVQ level 2 and 3 in hairdressing after I qualified I struggled to get a job within a salon as I had no experience so I took a year off doing other jobs and earn money before applying to work for Steiner to be a hair stylist onboard a cruise ships which I got. I spent 9 months onboard and got a lot of experience in cutting and styling hair but not a lot of colouring. I came home and got a job within a salon but was laid off after 8 weeks due to travel issues but I believe they think I was not experienced enough. I then got a job in another salon but was mainly assisting and could not gain a clientelle or experience so I chose to become self employed within a salon and after 8 weeks I recieved 9 complaints so they laid me off too. I understand complaints are never a good thing and cost business' money and reputation but after every service I asked the clients if they are happy with it to which they all told me yes then complained to another member of staff or days after. I feel hurt and confused and am torn about whether or not to change my career. Does every hairdresser experience this or is it a sign that hairdressing is not for me? I love all aspects off hairdressing and try to keep up date as much as possible. Any advice or comments would be truely appreciated.

What are the complaints about from the customers? Just colour or the cuts as well? Find out and then you can address the issue.

If hairdressing is really what you want to do I would say invest in more training. Get on some cutting and colouring courses. Boost your knowledge/skills and work that bit harder and you will get there.

What are the complaints about from the customers? Just colour or the cuts as well? Find out and then you can address the issue.

If hairdressing is really what you want to do I would say invest in more training. Get on some cutting and colouring courses. Boost your knowledge/skills and work that bit harder and you will get there.

Thank you for replying
Its colouring, some highlights that have turned out too brassy or I have miscommunicated a consultation and put in too many, but I do know how to correct those mistakes but thats extra product so more money for the salon which I understand but other colours have been big changes like brown to light grey hair in one sitting which I have struggled with. Two complaints were blowdrys, one said she had too much product on her hair and the other said it didnt last 3 days, I have never had complaints about blowdrys before. I am looking at extra courses but I just dont know if I shouldn't be struggling since I am qualified and have salon experience.

Last edited:
Look at it this way. If you can cut hair well and your colour is not as strong then do some colour courses. The training will help you in your consultations and in turn deliver a good result.

Look, I have years of experience in certain types of salons. Now if I had to use say a new product line it's so easy to overload the hair with product and make that mistake until you know what you can and can't do with each product. Any one can make that mistake. It's a learning curve and you don't do it again.

I would just really make sure you are listening during the consultation. Use visuals/pictures/phone etc to make sure you are on the same page. Remember just because you have "salon experience" doesn't mean it's the right experience for that client. New clients can be a challenge at times and sometimes it's just about winning them over too.

You obviously care about what your doing. So get on some courses, brush up and be the best you can [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back