Question for Beauty Salon Owners ref Modern Apprenticeships

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah1984

Reaction score
I am currently doing NVQ 2 Beauty therapy and I am going to go on to NVQ3 but do it as a modern apprenticeship. I am not currently working in a salon, so I am looking for some advice about applying to salons. All of my work experience has been in retail, as general assistants and some management. When I'm applying to salons, would they want to see my CV or just a covering letter explaining that I am going onto level 3.

Also any tips on interviews?

i would definately include your cv, working in retail is still working with the public so i would expand on your customer service skills and the fact that you are a real 'people person'. Also that you have a sound knowledge of the inner workings of a business form your managerial experience.
as for interviews be as friendly as you can whilst staying professional, always shake hands when you meet and smile, i know it sounds like a little thing but first impressions do count, go in and feel confident in your abilities. good luck hun! hth xx

Thanks, just written my CV. In my covering letter I'm going to expand on my skills from retail and managerial.

One simple question on the covering letter, do I start it "Dear Sir or Madam" or "To Whom it may concern" ?!!

Thanks, just written my CV. In my covering letter I'm going to expand on my skills from retail and managerial.

One simple question on the covering letter, do I start it "Dear Sir or Madam" or "To Whom it may concern" ?!!

i'd put dear sir or madam:) x

Thank you! :hug:

Yes, def put the cv in. If you have any gaps of employment etc then you also need to put an explanation in as well and write a little paragraph about your strengths as well.

When i advertised for staff for my new salon i got over 100 applicants so it was only the people that went a little bit further with their cv that got interviewed.

If there is a salon your really interested in I would ring them and ask for a name to put on the letter - looks like you made the effort and that you really want it - funny how little things count.

Well I've handed in my cv and covering letter to a salon that I am really interested in. I am crossing everything hoping that I hear from them.

well done hun, got my fingers crossed for you xx

How long do you think it would be before I heard a reply back from a salon?

did you post it or drop it in?

As a Modern Apprentiship, does this mean that you work in the salon and have day release for college?

Only reason I ask isbecause I have an NVQ3 young lady on work placement one day a week, which was a pre-requisite of her NVQ3 course.....not that I've ever heard from any of her tutors to see how she is getting on!

I dropped it in to them.

My understanding of a MA at the moment is that I am college for 1 day a week then the rest of my week at the salon, getting paid.

I have my interview with the college on 14th May to talk about the course and of course to see if they want me on the course.

I have an interview with a spa on Wednesday. On the phone she said that she would get me to do a pedicure on her.

I'm quite nervous! I've been running through some questions she might ask me and prepared answers. Fingers crossed!

I have an interview with a spa on Wednesday. On the phone she said that she would get me to do a pedicure on her.

I'm quite nervous! I've been running through some questions she might ask me and prepared answers. Fingers crossed!

Good luck. Remember to have everything you need to hand. Check first for contraindications. Relax and enjoy doing the treatment. Keep smiling and being positive and this will come across as professional and enthusiastic which will go a long way to getting you the job :)

Good luck. Remember to have everything you need to hand. Check first for contraindications. Relax and enjoy doing the treatment. Keep smiling and being positive and this will come across as professional and enthusiastic which will go a long way to getting you the job :)

agree with all of the above, good luck hun:) xxx

The interview went well. Was mainly a chat about the course I am doing now and about the spa etc.
She needs to speak to the college to find out more about the modern apprentice scheme as she has never taken anyone on it before. Sounds promising! Plus she was saying that she wants to send me a on nail course as she wants a therapist to do false nails. So thats another promising sign! Even though I have done a home learn course with EN I don't feel that their training was enough, so this would be really great! :)

Wahoo! :) Had my talk with my new tutor for next year yesterday, she spoke to the spa, and she is happy to take me on as an apprentice! So excited! Got a meeting with the manageress and tutor next week, to finalise things!
:)

Latest posts

Back