Question for bridal MUAs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M00min

Reaction score
Hi guys

Well the bridal make-up bookings for 2011 are coming in thick and fast :) BUT I have a dilemma and was wondering what you all did in this situation!

I have had enquiries from two brides getting married on the same day in July. The first contacted me in January and booked a trial for the end of May. The second bride contacted me this week and is getting married on the same day, but wants a trial early May.

At this stage I'm waiting to hear what time the second bride's wedding is and whether it is feasible to do both (I have a gut feeling it won't be do-able).

I have a policy that if brides want to book me after their trial they pay a 50% non refundable deposit to secure their wedding date. So if bride number 2 has her trial first and then books me for the big day I'm going to have to let down bride number 1. But that feels harsh as it will be so close to her wedding to get someone else.

Ethically I feel an obligation to bride number 1 as she contacted me first, but there's potentially more work with bride number 2 and I am running a business....

I'm sure some of you out there have run into this situation - what do you do? Sorry if I've rambled - it's v late and I've just come back from holiday lol x

Hi, Im new to this forum so bear with me.
Ive worked as a freelance MUA for over 10years and you are in a catch twenty two. When in business we are always taught that money is key but in our field we rely on word of mouth and recommendations also.
Doing both is going to be hard as you will have to allocate travelling time etc. Once you find out what time the brides would like you there then you have a better jist of what you can work with. Also most brides to have a few trials so just to a great job and hopefully they will not want anyone else and would prefer you, even if its an hour or 2 earlier than they wanted.
Good luck x

This sounds a bit tricky for you and I know my reply won't help you in this situation but may be something to think about.

My policy is that I do not secure their wedding date until a deposit has been received but I request this immidiately as soon as they enquire and the deposit is fully refundable if they cancel before the trial. There is no obligation for them to continue with the booking following the trial and if that happens (not happened yet!) then I just release the date. The deposit that I take is the same value as the trial so no-one has lost out. I try to get the trial done asap as soon as they book, regardless of how far in advance it is.

Sorry I know that this does not get you out of your situation but with your terms perhaps you should go with bride no.1?

I would contact Bride Number one explain the situation that you have been contacted for another wedding also would she like to formaly reserve now with a diposit, if she is unsure expalin that you can hold for 1 week and then afraid you will have to let the date go to some one else.
I would never exchange one bride over another on the grounds of a larger wedding etc, its unethical? business is about recommendation and customer loyalty and not just about how much money you can make,if word got out that you operated like that it would be very detrimental to your business. I have always found that when this happens a bigger one seems to follow at a later date.
You obviously are not comfortable in guzzumping your first client so don't do it without giving her the opportunity first

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't heard back from bride number 2 about the timing of her wedding etc so maybe I'll have nothing to worry about after all!

Latest posts

Back