Question for educators??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
If you are a qualified educator for a nail company do you still have to do your teaching certificates at college in order to teach in a college for VCTC or NVQ nail courses?
I've been wondering about this for a while....

If you are a qualified educator for a nail company do you still have to do your teaching certificates at college in order to teach in a college for VCTC or NVQ nail courses?

personally i havent .... as yet...... altho i can still go in to a college and do ezflow classes or demos which can be ezflow certified iykwim but i can not assess nvq etc.,..

hth

Jess
xox

personally i havent .... as yet...... altho i can still go in to a college and do ezflow classes or demos which can be ezflow certified iykwim but i can not assess nvq etc.,..

hth

Jess
xox

So I guess if you can't assess at college you can't teach then?
Yes... when I was at college we had NSI demos etc and used their products but not teacher.
Bummer.

None of ours do Judy. In fact I had a college the other day call and ask if they could send 5 beauty lectures on a Foundation Course so they could 'teach nails in college'... not very inspriring huh that the college thinks so little of nails, that they actually think that y sending their teachers on a Foundation Course for a beginner student - that this would be enough for them to teach 20 odd students??? No wonder students come out of college so disallusioned with nails!

I'd go to a (CND in my case) Ambassador / Educator every time. Personally I think it stands to reason that trainers for nail companies who have been trained by the company itself and have vast experience in applying enhancements, are going to be far more knowledgeable, than a beauty lecturer in college who has been sent on a foundation course and may have never applied a full set in their lives!! :mad: Just MHO anyway! :idea:

Yes if you are wanting to work for the college you need city guilds teaching qualifications, the starting one is 7303 city and guilds (if you Google it you will get loads of info on the course)
i know this because i have just wasted my time doing this course thinking i would need it, but i don't as i would not like to work in a college with their out of date nail teaching techniques,
i would much rather work with a reputable nail company one day (long way to go yet lol)

I'll have to pour myself a G&T as this subject gives me high blood pressure and I feel a major rant coming on:lol:
Take cover....you have been warned.

The 7303 city and guilds qualification is new, the government brought it in this september and it is compulsory if you want to teach any subject to adults (in college)
on my course there were 5 other students that were already working for the college but had to do this course, and the courses that follow it in order to keep their positions in the college hth

The thing that really bugs me is that a lot of college tutors have a very basic knowledge of the nail industry and how to create nails.
They can teach..YES.
Mine was a great hairdressing teacher.
Couldn't sculpt a set of nails though.. could only tip.
No detriment to the teacher but what gets me is that most students on a VTCT course were paying for it...not 16 year olds who had just left school.
It really is a shame that fully qualified educators can't teach in local colleges without this teaching diploma.

I totally agree with you judy,
it is the students that are missing out and the colleges are getting a bad reputation for not teaching up to date methods

The 7303 city and guilds qualification is new, the government brought it in this september and it is compulsory if you want to teach any subject to adults (in college)
on my course there were 5 other students that were already working for the college but had to do this course, and the courses that follow it in order to keep their positions in the college hth

Thanks mate. I don't have a problem taking yet another course, but it really gets to me that people that are already working in colleges will do this but not update their nail skills and maybe get a certificate or 2? and know a little bit more about .....NAILS.
I'm.....OK the G&T has kicked in now:)
Thanks Lou I'll take a look at this :hug:

Thanks mate. I don't have a problem taking yet another course, but it really gets to me that people that are already working in colleges will do this but not update their nail skills and maybe get a certificate or 2? and know a little bit more about .....NAILS.
I'm.....OK the G&T has kicked in now:)
Thanks Lou I'll take a look at this :hug:
this course isn't just for us that want to teach nails it is for everyone who wants to teach any subject, it is about functional skills, diversion, equality, scheme of work plans, lesson plans, loads of stuff that a college teacher has to know,
on the up side it is only a 10 week course one day a week,
but you have about 10 assignments to do and a micro class in front of the rest of the class

this course isn't just for us that want to teach nails it is for everyone who wants to teach any subject, it is about functional skills, diversion, equality, scheme of work plans, lesson plans, loads of stuff that a college teacher has to know,
on the up side it is only a 10 week course one day a week,
but you have about 10 assignments to do and a micro class in front of the rest of the class

Great!! as if my nerves aren't in shreds already:lol:
Seriously it could be a good course and will find out more asap.

The thing that really bugs me is that a lot of college tutors have a very basic knowledge of the nail industry and how to create nails.
They can teach..YES.
No detriment to the teacher but what gets me is that most students on a VTCT course were paying for it...not 16 year olds who had just left school.
It really is a shame that fully qualified educators can't teach in local colleges without this teaching diploma.

well said Judy

all my qualificiations are vtct courses done at an fe college but luckily i didn't pay any tuition fees, whilst most of my tutors were wonderful i did have one who was a good therapist but way too impatient to teach and another who called me "a little miss know it all" simply because some parts of the course i had already completed elsewhere and i pointed out a few things to her that my fellow students were too afraid to say to her face!

i always say just because you are a good technician or therapist doesn't necessarily mean that you can teach people, i do believe it takes a certain kind of passion to teach that i feel some people just don't have

My college educators were lovely people and I really don't mean any disrespect to them.
But...as a paying student I found some parts a little hard to take and was dissapointed to say the very least at some parts.
It meant that I finally took the plunge and did all my EzFlow courses and was more than happy at the end of them.
It just leaves a lump in my throat for all those people going to college with high expectations...like I did.
I would really love things to be different at colleges and would love one day to be able to play a small part in it.

Lou are any of these courses the same thing?
Distance Learning and Home Study Courses - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Degree, Diploma, Certificates

I did a little college teaching for nails but I was at a total loss of what to do.

I basically can teach to do nails - no problem - but I couldnt assess (dont have the assesors award) .

I wanted to show them how to create nails worthy of a payment - but it was the assesments they had to get through - to me, that wasnt what being a nail tech was about.

Because I couldnt assess they didnt want me - but I had already decided I wasnt going back - I can put it down to one of the worst experiences ever.

Put me off teaching forever!!!

I hope that what I did contribute - helped the students in some way.

At my college in southend we have to be working towards a teaching qualification and have 1 level higher in qualification to what it is we are teaching. Ive got my cert ed and my 7407 with city and guilds but i cannot assess as i didnt take that element, and this takes me into private training as well as Further ed and higher ed.

Private training places stipulate according to what courses they teach.

My hope Judy are that eventually the colleges will full up with us lot and then courses will get taught properly and we can educate the examining boards as well.

They can teach..YES.

Crikey! How right you are! I took a VCTC course which cost me in excess of £1K (including my kit and uniform). However good our tutor was, her replacement (she left halfway through the course as she fell out with the college) didn't have a clue! In fact, during one assessment for sculpted nails she passed me saying: "don't worry, only do 2 nails because they are not used in the industry anyway". I rest my case!!!

Since then I have done courses with 2 reputable companies just to get better training. Again, at a cost of course. The colleges do really need to have a good shake up IMHO.:irked:

There are some new qualifications coming in for teaching life long learning, I think these will surpass the 70's.... for FE and also schools when beauty, hair and nails are being taught at senior school....yes I think this will happen.....

I know what they are but I can't remember the name of them....I'll try and find my notes and let you know.

Latest posts

Back