Question for gel nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layrex9

Reaction score
Hello there,

Just wondered about your opinion on something - I have a lady coming in on Wednesday (bear in mind my salon has only been open four weeks) and the lady has gels from a brand called Allesandro, which I have never heard of but are meant to be very good. The lady has tried a few places and her nails have always lifted really badly then she ends up going to Manchester to her old place to get them amended but this turns out to be a few hours round trip. I am fairly sure that my Brisa gel will happily sit on top of the Allesandro gel without me having to file all the Allesandro off before applying the Brisa? I would just like to rebalance her nails with Brisa but thought about doing it on a trial basis and perhaps not charging at all, or quite so much because if my nails are fabulous and do not lift, she will be a customer for life. I know how expensive it can be and I just don't feel I should charge her full whack (£24) for a re-balance that might not work and then she will end up spending more going to Manchester to get them sorted. What would you guys do - would you knock a bit off the price?

No I would charge her accordingly hun. If her nails are lifting there must be a reason for it. Maybe her other techs have not prepped properly etc?
I don't work for free and neither should you, it's a business not a charity x

Hello there,

Just wondered about your opinion on something - I have a lady coming in on Wednesday (bear in mind my salon has only been open four weeks) and the lady has gels from a brand called Allesandro, which I have never heard of but are meant to be very good. The lady has tried a few places and her nails have always lifted really badly then she ends up going to Manchester to her old place to get them amended but this turns out to be a few hours round trip. I am fairly sure that my Brisa gel will happily sit on top of the Allesandro gel without me having to file all the Allesandro off before applying the Brisa? I would just like to rebalance her nails with Brisa but thought about doing it on a trial basis and perhaps not charging at all, or quite so much because if my nails are fabulous and do not lift, she will be a customer for life. I know how expensive it can be and I just don't feel I should charge her full whack (£24) for a re-balance that might not work and then she will end up spending more going to Manchester to get them sorted. What would you guys do - would you knock a bit off the price?

no way!

you're still doing the same amount of work!!!

just explain to her that because you are working over another product you cannot guarantee what the outcome will be, but it could go either way! I cant see why the brisa wouldnt bond to the other gel, just make sure you use a 180 grit before the brisa, and not a white block. Just to make sure the gel can get a good grip!!

Alternatively, she can have them removed and replaced. then you can offer her some sort of guarantee of your work.

just say to her if she does have any problems to get in touch right away. But at the end of the day, if she agreed to the 'terms' then you dont really owe her anything as such, other than goodwill IYKWIM.

x

Firstly I've used both gels and Brisa will sit happily on top of Alessandro. If she doesn't get lifting normally then it is probably down to poor prep on the part of the other nail techs, or getting product too close to the skin.

But why do it for free? Do the rebalance and then give her a courtesy call a few days later to see how she is getting on. IF there is a problem THEN you can ask her to come back in and rectify it for free. But won't you feel crap if you gave her a free service and she has no probs! And think about it, you're just training her to get freebies from you. Give her good customer service and she'll still be your customer for life.

Yes I think you all might be right! With my L&P nails I never have any problems with lifting but with my Brisa I have not had anyone back for a re-balance yet so I do not know. I am fastidious about prep which is probably why it still takes me two hours to do a full set (aaaggghhh) but I would be devastated if my nails went wrong and they lifted. I am on route to do my grand masters soon but so far I have only done the Brisa conversion and gel skill building, I am yet to do the masters courses. If she is prone to lifting, would it be OK to use nail fresh, then scrub fresh then the liquid bond? I sure do also make sure I 'scrub' in that first layer of gel into the nail plate too - I listen to everything they taught me! :)

You could try that prep, but I have never done that, and I've been using gel for 6 years. Just tell her that you will call her in a few days to see how she is getting on as you want to make sure all is okay and save her that long trip to the other place. Have confidence in your self and she will too - give a glimmer of doubting yourself and she will lose faith and you'll lose her as a client.

Make sure you do a full client consultation aswell. In my experience, if you dont get lifting on other clients, there is always some explanation for the lifting ie; medication, lifestyle etc, even a recent change in hormones, hrt and the like. Let us know how you get on

Make sure you do a full client consultation aswell. In my experience, if you dont get lifting on other clients, there is always some explanation for the lifting ie; medication, lifestyle etc, even a recent change in hormones, hrt and the like. Let us know how you get on

Yes I shall do that - I know what you mean some medications do cause lifting - does anyone know what these medications are? Is HRT alright lifting wise?

Hey Sassy!!
as you can see , i am new to this site, but have had some wonderful advice about gel from it. I am going to apply gel over acrylic tomorrow, and was wondering if you could give me some help. Waiting to hear from you. thanks Girl!!!!

Latest posts

Back