Question for UK Techs!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkshakerrr

Reaction score
Hello fellow nail geeks! So sorry to have my first post asking for so much, but I have some questions for Nail Techs who have practiced in the UK.

I am a licensed Nail Tech of 1.5 years in Colorado. (Just in case, In most states in the US, you have to be licensed by the State in order to practice.) I am moving to the UK in April 2008 and really want to continue my career. I've read and researched and learned that England does not require formal training for Manicurists, though different levels of qualifications are offered at various institutions. Would you suggest that a relatively green Tech like myself take UK classes before or in conjunction with finding a job?

What are the "good" distributors from whom I can get quality supplies? My mother-in-law is a Level 2 Hairstylist of many years (currently training for Level 3) and she gets her supplies from Sally's, but I'd prefer to find a professionals-only distributor if at all possible. (Or is Sally's a professionals-only distributor?) Any advice you can offer is so fantastically appreciated. I've tried e-mailing specific schools and the national licensing thing to no avail.

Crossing my fingers for some help; thanks so much dudes!

Mary

I am a licensed Nail Tech of 1.5 years in Colorado. (Just in case, In most states in the US, you have to be licensed by the State in order to practice.) I am moving to the UK in April 2008 and really want to continue my career. I've read and researched and learned that England does not require formal training for Manicurists, though different levels of qualifications are offered at various institutions. As a relocated UT-trained Tech, how did you go about the career change to the UK? Would you suggest that a relatively green Tech like myself take UK classes before or in conjunction with finding a job?

You are correct in that there is no licencing requirement to work as a nail tech in the UK, but I think taking a converstion class with one of the repuatble companies is a good idea..... CND, EzFlow, Young Nails, NSI etc all offer 1 day conversion courses

What are the "good" distributors from whom I can get quality supplies? My mother-in-law is a Level 2 Hairstylist of many years (currently training for Level 3) and she gets her supplies from Sally's, but I'd prefer to find a professionals-only distributor if at all possible. (Or is Sally's a professionals-only distributor?) Any advice you can offer is so fantastically appreciated. I've tried e-mailing specific schools and the national licensing thing to no avail.

Sallys distribute to the public as well as pros - although they offer trade prices on proof of education. CND in the UK will only sell to CND trained techs, I can't offer you advice on the other brands because I'm a CND girl! Usually most brands have their own distribution arrangements.

I use Sallys for disposables (nail wipes etc) but everything else comes direct from Sweet Squared who are the UK distributor for CND....

Anyway, I hope that's helped make things a bit clearer. This site has contact details for most of the major nail companies and their UK contact details.

:hug:
You are correct in that there is no licencing requirement to work as a nail tech in the UK, but I think taking a converstion class with one of the repuatble companies is a good idea..... CND, EzFlow, Young Nails, NSI etc all offer 1 day conversion courses

Hi all I totally agree what Yvette is saying best to complete a conversion with one of the main companies.

Good luck in your move to the uk

Thanks a lot, dudes! I am a CND girl myself, and I'm really looking forward to learning more about Sweet Squared. I've been wanting to take some Masters classes here, but there are hardly any offered in Colorado! So being able to go somewhere that doesn't require a plane trip and hotel will be very helpful in building my confidence as a Nail Tech.

Latest posts

Back