Question of timing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladida

Reaction score
Hello people :green:. I'm new here, just joined. I did a search on your work time (amongst other things :lol::lol:), and noticed your times for Full sets with french + tips for gel is around 1, 1.5 hours. Can you give me some advices or tips to speed up? Maybe tell me how you do it so fast? I'm currently on 3+ hours for doing this, sometimes even 4 hours:Scared::o. I'm mostly still working on my friends as i just recently finished as i'm shy to charge those times for customers, i feel their bottom would be too stiff LOL.

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

x about 100 more

its the only way :)

One thing that helps me is to talk to the nail!! Don't keep stopping to look and talk to your client. Keep your head down as you work and talk. It saves me heaps of time.

hth
Michelle

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

x about 100 more

My thoughts also, depending on the quality of course here, many will not allow you to be qualified unless you can do nails in 1.5 hours (therefore employable), but there are many courses, by many people and many companies

One thing that helps me is to talk to the nail!! Don't keep stopping to look and talk to your client. Keep your head down as you work and talk. It saves me heaps of time.

hth
Michelle

Yep i agree! The yapping is my downfall lol I need to talk to the nails more and talk to the clients face less :rolleyes:

Practice

Practice

Practice

Practice

x about 100 more

totally agree ...but try not to run before you can walk.....you need to have your nails looking good aswell hun...so practise both the time and your work...you will get there..xxxxx

I have not been doing nails that long and my times where like yours 3-4hrs
I am now doing 2hrs, practice is the most important thing, I use my nail trainer a lot its not as good as doing a real person but it still helps me, I am still not charging full price yet, I tell my clients (new) that I am still trying to get my timings down and that I am charging at discounted rates until I am satisfied with the timing, then they will go up to regular rates. if that helps, its worked for me and if you do the small mistake they don't moan as they know you are still finding your feet.

Hi,

Practice is a good thing! :) But as the other also have said, it's better to use your time and make good nails, then to rush over and make... not good nails...

Another thing that helped me, and still helps me, is to have a clock in front of me. Sometimes I FORGET time and place and the time just run away. This never happens if I have a new client directly after, but sometimes it happens with the last client....:)

C.

I agree, keep practising and remain focussed on your work rather than chatting or allowing yourself to be distracted. I'm not saying that you do, but if you are practising on friends it is likely you are chatting away! I am soooo guilty of this, lol:lol:.

Remember that quality is better than speed! When you have mastered your skills, then you can work on you timing.

You are new to the industry so don't feel daunted by those experienced geeks whose timing is swift and fast. They were once in your shoes. Time and patience :hug:.

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, i know, practice :p But i'm sure there are some things i'm not doing that can cut corners here and there. For example, i just recently started the gell "hardening" thing (when you cure it 1 second or so so it just stiffen's up not to slide, but it doesn't cure completelly). I wasn't thought that, i just kind of tried it myself :lol:. I got alot of other problems that i'll ask bit later, wouldn't want to jump in here with all the questions when there's so many topics already posted :rolleyes:

Do you also think that buying training videos from other companies (dvd) online would help me? As i mentioned in my welcome post, we don't have official company trainings here, just salons giving them. I think i could save time on filing.

Also, i read a topic where people said that for 1 finger it takes them 10 to 20 minutes, but for full set, 1.5 hours. I don't get that. It takes me around 20 minute for a finger, but that time 10 is 200 minutes, which is around 3 hours how much i take :green::grr:

I agree, keep practising and remain focussed on your work rather than chatting or allowing yourself to be distracted. I'm not saying that you do, but if you are practising on friends it is likely you are chatting away! I am soooo guilty of this, lol:lol:.

LOL.. you know how we girls are :hug:... I really try hard to not talk alot, but we have so much to say to each other since i'm mostly working on friends for now :o.

I got alot of other problems that i'll ask bit later, wouldn't want to jump in here with all the questions when there's so many topics already posted :rolleyes:
Have a seach through the forums & see what you can find. Also read the tutorials section. There is heaps of great info there. Then if you still have questions, ask.

Do you also think that buying training videos from other companies (dvd) online would help me? As i mentioned in my welcome post, we don't have official company trainings here, just salons giving them. I think i could save time on filing.
DVD"s can be quite helpful. They cetainly can't hurt.

Also, i read a topic where people said that for 1 finger it takes them 10 to 20 minutes, but for full set, 1.5 hours. I don't get that. It takes me around 20 minute for a finger, but that time 10 is 200 minutes, which is around 3 hours how much i take :green::grr:
It takes longer to do 1 nail because you have time when you aren't doing anything, just waiting for your product to cure. If a fullset is taking you ten times the amount of time of 1 nail, then you must be wasting time somewhere. I hate anytime when I'm just waiting. Examine your steps & see if there is anywhere you can be more efficient.
HTH

Oh and save the chit chat for after your finished. Tell your friends you need to work out how long it takes you to do a set, so you can't talk so much while you're working. Put yourself into professional mode. Then you can have a cuppa and a gossip when your finished.

Guilty as charged! :) I don't think I can stop myself from talking :eek:, but I should make sure my hands are working at all times, and maybe I will be faster. hahah.

Definitely talk to the hand and not the face, just quickly glance at the client every now and again and give her a smile so she knows your not been ignorant,
and lots of practise hun,
as your skills improve you will not be worrying so much and this will help to bring your times down without you even realizing it

Get into the habit of asking questions and then head down while they waffle on lol . . .

I think that what your clients walk away with on the end of their fingers is of prime importance here; concentrate on the nails you produce mainly, not how fast you did them. You will speed up in time. In the meantime, think quality.

Latest posts

Back