Question on Biosculpture S Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Just wanted to pick the brains of any Bio Sculpture S gel users out there. I have pm'd the ones i know are Bio geeks, but not many use s-gel a great deal.

When I start a new pot of the gel i always seem to get a really good shape without needing to refine with a file. But once I am more than about half way through the pot I cant seem to get the same smoothness of the shape and apex without having to refine alot.

I do stir the gel before each client - i took this problem up with Bio and they said to stir before each client, not just once a day. But it doesnt seem to make much difference.

How many sets do you do a week and what size jars do you use? I wondered whether to order the smaller size jar, instead of the middle that I am ordering at present. I do about 4-6 sets per week.

This gets so bloody frustraiting as I feel like I am not getting the most out of each jar!

Hello!
I also do about 6 sets a week and since i prefere the S-gel I use the big jar! And I´m sorry I can´t help you, but it has never happened to me.
Could it be that the gel gets too much UV light when the lid is off?

Theresa, are you putting a very thin (lick) layer of S-gel on first, DON'T cure, then apply it as a builder layer? This is the way I get the smoothest apex, but generally I do need to give a quick rub with a spongefile anyway, as I finish with Sealer, so I clean the S-gel with nail polish remover and take the shine off for the sealer anyway.

I use the middle size pot (10ml) and as you know am not working that much at the mo. Suppose I'm doing about one set a week...usually my own or Mums or friends!.

I do think it cures slightly as the pot goes down causing a bit thicker consistency, so not much can be done, but I generally tip the remains of the last pot in with a new one to get rd of the real sludgy stuff at the bottom. I guess this is possibly the problem....what lamp (desk not UV!) are you using? Does it emit any UV light as you are working, curing the gel a bit faster than ordinary daylight?

I use a Daylight desk lamp...I had a conversation with Daylight a year or so ago about output of UV from the lamp....asking if it would cure my gel. They assured me it contained no more UV light than daylight (hence the name) but I'm still convinced gel cures slightly quicker under this than it would otherwise. I guess the other answer is keep taking the lid off and on!

Or could you buy big pots and decant into an empty small pot, thereby leaving the big pot sealed for more time? Buying small pots seems such false economy.

Hiya All. Thanks for your imput -

Lyndsay - you may be right where it does seem to get a little thicker as it goes down the pot so it could be slight curing that is causing this to happen. I do apply a lick layer of s-gel first.

I have very good lighting in the salon so dont need a desk light, it is halogen type lights in the salon so dont really know what the UV output from these is. I might try your idea of decanting into a smaller pot (I always keep my old pots - sad i know) and see if that makes much difference. I have always been dubious to poor the remains of an old jar into a new one in case it affects the consistency of the new jar.

Any more ideas would be greatly received. x x x

I have very good lighting in the salon so dont need a desk light, it is halogen type lights in the salon so dont really know what the UV output from these is. Any more ideas would be greatly received. x x x

Hi Oey,
I was told by my Bio trainer that halogen lights do cure the gel. I switched to a fluorescent after that. However, I am not convinced that my new light doesn't present the same problem.

I don't do a whole lot of nails so I haven't gotten to the bottom of my S Gel. But I do have my own frustrations with the gel - it cracks (tiny hairline) on some of my clients after about a week and even with the double cure and using polish remover as a sanitizer it still isn't as shiny as their other gels. I also find it pits easily. I find using a thicker layer helps, though.

My jar is starting to get low so I will have to see if I encounter the same problems.

Hi Oey,
I was told by my Bio trainer that halogen lights do cure the gel. I switched to a fluorescent after that. However, I am not convinced that my new light doesn't present the same problem.

I don't do a whole lot of nails so I haven't gotten to the bottom of my S Gel. But I do have my own frustrations with the gel - it cracks (tiny hairline) on some of my clients after about a week and even with the double cure and using polish remover as a sanitizer it still isn't as shiny as their other gels. I also find it pits easily. I find using a thicker layer helps, though.

My jar is starting to get low so I will have to see if I encounter the same problems.

Thanks Alex

I havent had the cracking problem, but i do agree that the s-gel seems to be better when applied slightly thicker. I was told that by my trainer too.

I agree about the shiney and I always apply a coat of top coat to all clients, regardless whether the finihsing gel is sealer or s-gel. I am going to try the decanting into smaller pots and see if that makes any difference.

Just to add that when I did my training, my educator advised to steer clear of Halogen lighting.

Good luck Theresa ... hope all this troubleshooting helps to resolve your "S" gel problems.

I just wanted to bump this up since I'm nearing the end of my pot of S gel (10mL).

I just finished a set and I was really disappointed with the S Gel. It felt very bumpy and I had to file it a lot to smooth it out. I couldn't get much shine out of it either. I normally finish with the S gel (different training here) but had to add Royal clear to give it a nicer finish.

I find this gel a bit tricky but now that it's at the end of the pot, it's become downright annoying. Fortunately I have a new pot on order and will mix them as Zingara suggested.

Just wanted to let you know Oey that you're not alone on this one!:hug:

I just wanted to bump this up since I'm nearing the end of my pot of S gel (10mL).

I just finished a set and I was really disappointed with the S Gel. It felt very bumpy and I had to file it a lot to smooth it out. I couldn't get much shine out of it either. I normally finish with the S gel (different training here) but had to add Royal clear to give it a nicer finish.

I find this gel a bit tricky but now that it's at the end of the pot, it's become downright annoying. Fortunately I have a new pot on order and will mix them as Zingara suggested.

Just wanted to let you know Oey that you're not alone on this one!:hug:

Alex - this is exactly what happens to me too - but you described it better than me. I am shortly due to order a new pot so what I will do is use one of my smaller pots by decanting some in and see if that makes much difference.

I have this prob too i seem to be getting a lumpy looking finish with the s gel recently,i have had the pot since about July ,im going to buy a 4g pot soon to see if it is just where its been opened regularly,im actually soon booking an acrylic conversion course with ezflow,as im not 100% happy with Bio and i turn down so many peeps that call me for acrylic nails and i have to say 'no sorry i only do Bio Gel'.
I was told too in my training to get rid of my halogen lamp,i now use a daylight portable lamp.

I have this prob too i seem to be getting a lumpy looking finish with the s gel recently,i have had the pot since about July ,im going to buy a 4g pot soon to see if it is just where its been opened regularly,im actually soon booking an acrylic conversion course with ezflow,as im not 100% happy with Bio and i turn down so many peeps that call me for acrylic nails and i have to say 'no sorry i only do Bio Gel'.
I was told too in my training to get rid of my halogen lamp,i now use a daylight portable lamp.

Debbie - I wouldnt get rid of Bio gel completely as it is fantastic for many many clients. I do agree though that it is a good idea to offer an alternative system for those clients where Bio Sulpture isnt the best option.

Try decanting your s-gel into a smaller jar, I am going to try this with my next order and see if that makes any difference.

No i wouldnt get rid of it completly ,ive not long started up my mobile buzzy i am looking forward to next summer to defently using it for toes,i had this discustion with my hubby the other week ,i did say i was thinking of selling my Bio kit,he said i would be mad but wasnt getting involved,as i say ive decided to keep hold of my gear i know i will do well with their great range of colours on the toes next year and thats when im looking forward to using Bio,but in the meantime im looking into acrylics,i dont like the stench of it,but if thats what peeps want,and like you say it ll be good to offer both.xx

Alex - this is exactly what happens to me too - but you described it better than me. I am shortly due to order a new pot so what I will do is use one of my smaller pots by decanting some in and see if that makes much difference.

Oey, I am going to do the same. I don't know if it's the exposure or somehow what sits at the bottom of the pot. I love Bio but I might start skipping S gel altogether - if we can't recoup the bottom part of the pot, that's pretty expensive. Hopefully mixing new with old will help.

i had this discustion with my hubby the other week ,i did say i was thinking of selling my Bio kit,he said i would be mad but wasnt getting involved,

I guess hubby knows best in this case! I am training with Brisa because I like how well it maintains it's colour for french. But Bio has such a great rep and so many ask for it by name that I wholeheartedly agree it's well worth keeping.

Latest posts

Back