Question on Colouring - Regrowth

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becca211

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, a question I already know the answer to but I am panicking as I haven't coloured hair for a while, can you help remind me before I buy the colour.... :irked:

I want to colour hair that is 80 percent white - with a base of 5
The lady already has colour on hair - I want to use Wella Koleston 9/38 (which matches the colour she already has) with 6%
Will %6 cover the white? How would you do this?

hi i would use you 9/38 with half of a 9 mixed in with a 30 vol peroxide, you need the extra base in to cover the white hair, check out what the others say but i would have thought you need a higher peroxide than the 6 % to lift from a base 5 to a 9 level ???hth

Last edited:
hi , a level 9 wont cover white and you would need some base in there too eg 9/0 and would be a v light transparent colour ,which would fade like mad ( unless your lady has very fine weak hair).id try something like 8.03 which will fade, but it really depends on texture and percentage of white and dark hair if theres more dark ,then you will need too use a higher % peroxide and again ,i dont think that you will get it too a lvl9 more a 7/8 with gold -if its more white then use 3 or 6% unless its that stong snowy resistant white when some manufacturers recomend using 9% instead of pre softener hope this helps

Last edited:
She has fine hair that is mostly white with a scattering of base 5 all over, no white is concentrated in any particular area. I think I'll definitely need 6% to cover it, I don't think it will be resistant.

The 9/38 matches exactly should I not go for that and use the 8.03 instead as suggested?

Or just go for the base 9 + 9/38 and 6%

Thanks again for your help (confused) :irked:

try to find out what shes had done before - you should be able to under data protection act ,if shes coloured it at home try to find out if it was light blonde/extra lt bl etc. maybe 1/2 an 8 base and 1/2 the 9/0 would be better then you could always take it down next time if it fades too much .

if it for white shudnt we be using the double numbers for bases? ie 99/0 instead of 9/0? not 100% sure but pretty sure that what i always been advised to do haha x

if it for white shudnt we be using the double numbers for bases? ie 99/0 instead of 9/0? not 100% sure but pretty sure that what i always been advised to do haha x

thats what i alway do with hair thats got a high percentage of white and it alway covers well, i would use the double base 99/0. if you really worried bout how its gna turn out u beter to do sum strand tests if her roots long engh 2 x

YAY i got it right haha minky wont be able to walk for pride haha. .

To all the girls and boy for the help it was much appreciated - Did the hair using the 99/0 and it came out fab :hug:

YAY I WAS RIGHT HAHAHAHA xxx

Latest posts

Back