Question on customer service

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewie16

Reaction score
Hello I was just wondering how you as professionals deal with upper class/ snobby clients. I deal with some very rich wealthy clients who are into expensive taste and basically show offs.
For me I just be myself and have no posh speaking voice whatsoever but can be looked down my noise sometimes. Anyway I've noticed some hairdressers get up to their level and act a load of **** and PRETEND to be on their type of class. I like to make anybody feel comfortable and relaxed when carry out a service. but I just don't see the point in trying to be and be and act somthing when your not.
How do you deal with these clients and what's your tips.
I've just finished reading a discussion board online what waitresses have to put up with and I take my shirt off to them they have to put up with ALOT of difficult customers.

Hello I was just wondering how you as professionals deal with upper class/ snobby clients. I deal with some very rich wealthy clients who are into expensive taste and basically show offs.
For me I just be myself and have no posh speaking voice whatsoever but can be looked down my noise sometimes. Anyway I've noticed some hairdressers get up to their level and act a load of **** and PRETEND to be on their type of class. I like to make anybody feel comfortable and relaxed when carry out a service. but I just don't see the point in trying to be and be and act somthing when your not.
How do you deal with these clients and what's your tips.
I've just finished reading a discussion board online what waitresses have to put up with and I take my shirt off to them they have to put up with ALOT of difficult customers.

The thing is about these kind of clients (I find anyway) is that if you faff around them a bit, make them feel special and welcome their requests as if you're more than happy to help (...glass of water in the middle of a treatment? No problem at all! Etc etc) then they can be very very good clients.

No need to change who you are for them, but try your best to relate e.g if they say they've been to a fancy restaurant don't say 'I wish I could afford to go there' say how lovely it sounds and that you've heard great things.

Hope that helps a bit. I've been a waitress before and it's awful! At least we gain the respect of people (most of the time!) by having a trade! Xx

The thing is about these kind of clients (I find anyway) is that if you faff around them a bit, make them feel special and welcome their requests as if you're more than happy to help (...glass of water in the middle of a treatment? No problem at all! Etc etc) then they can be very very good clients.

No need to change who you are for them, but try your best to relate e.g if they say they've been to a fancy restaurant don't say 'I wish I could afford to go there' say how lovely it sounds and that you've heard great things.

Hope that helps a bit. I've been a waitress before and it's awful! At least we gain the respect of people (most of the time!) by having a trade! Xx

That's really good advice. Especially saying that sounds lovley about a restaurant. I do my best to make them feel comfortable it's very hard when they are like professors at a university make you feel stupid sometimes.

Waitresses have to go through so much I really feel sorry for them. Can't understand how some people can walk into a business and treat a staff member like ****. I would never dream of doing that to anybody. Once a asshole always a asshole.

I work for a Duke and Duchess...

I must say, they're lovely when they come in. It's their friends who can have an odd attitude sometimes.

We treat them all the same as all our other guests (bar minding titles).

They're the same as everyone else-some are lovely, some not so much!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've noticed that the people who are high and mighty arnt always necessarily that well off, they just try to act like it, it is showing off, however I have some very (real) wealthy clients in my salon, and they are so grounded and down to earth! I much prefer them to the ones who brag about their holidays or new cars. A wise person told me once, the real Wealthy people of the world never talk about their wealth and the really poor never speak of how poor they are, I believe this too.

I just humor the braggers like as said above oh yea that sounds like a lovley place etc

I don't attempt to be someone I'm not but I do change the things I speak about. I do that with all clients though.

I find that 'new money' tend to brag about what they have got and expect everything to be done for them, they're the worst for snobbery. Those who have money, and have always had it and been a bit posh tend to keep what they have to themselves and are always very polite and not at all in your face about it. They're my favourites because they're always very wise and more often than not have a wicked sense of humour.

I think as long as you're professional and polite, there's no reason to try and sound a bit more posh or pretend to be someone you're not.

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

That is really true my dads friend was a millionaire and had a very basic car as he didn't want people to know how well off he was.

That's really good advice. Especially saying that sounds lovley about a restaurant. I do my best to make them feel comfortable it's very hard when they are like professors at a university make you feel stupid sometimes.

Glad it's helped you :) and you can quite easily flip round feeling stupid about talking to certain kinds of people with certain kinds of jobs. Ask them what they're a professor in, how they started out, if they enjoy teaching, what kind of research they do etc. in the end they're a professor in something because they love the subject so if you get them talking about it and ask them a few inquisitive questions they'll probably be chattering away for the rest of the appointment! I've learnt some of the weirdest most wonderful things from clients with unusual jobs!

Depending on where you are working, waitressing IS a trade. I know many people that have done their apprenticeship in waitressing. They wont be found in the fast food rest, though if that's what you mean.

As has been said, upper class people are rarely snobs, it's usually the people that have not been brought up with money that don't know how to act with it.
I have met many rude people, with or without money. You just have to be the bigger person sometimes. People that feel they need to treat you like dirt aren't happy people. So that's a waste of all the money they have, imo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but so its Mrs bucket type out of keeping up appearances that are show offs and just normal wealthy people are down to earth? X

9 times out of 10 yea lol

I love that programme lol it was on the other night, I love how she answers the phone 😂 her family are so normal and she's just nuts 😂

Correct me if I'm wrong but so its Mrs bucket type out of keeping up appearances that are show offs and just normal wealthy people are down to earth? X

Haha, yep!

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

I love that programme lol it was on the other night, I love how she answers the phone 😂 her family are so normal and she's just nuts 😂

Lol I know I love it too. It's so bloody true how those people are like.she's always tries to make herself higher than anybody else but it turns into a mess haha. And yet her friends like her violet and rose better than hyacinth lol

😃 lol

Last edited:
Is it true she were in a relationship with pat out of eastenders?

I would like to think that I'd never judge anyone by their accent - and by that I include posh ones, too.
People are individuals. Having money or status doesn't really change the inner person.

My friend is a professor at a well known university around where I live and he's very knowledgable. Some people when he talks about certain things he's passionate about some people can see him as talking down to them or bombarding them with their opinions when he's just passionate. Maybe this is the same for these people too!

As for people who are snobs lol. I don't change the way I talk but I do talk more.. Refined. I always talk with more pronouncement as I'm aware sometimes I don't pronounce my rs as well as I used to. But that's the only adjustment I make :) hope that helps a little x

Latest posts

Back