Question re brushes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
My mother used to be an artist so has various different unused brushes she has offered me. Some are sable but alas these are too small for L&P but she also has some size 7/8s which are "hair". I know that nylon cannot be used but can anybody tell me what constitutes "hair" and if it is ok to use with L&P application. I am currently using a 6 and would like to try something a bit bigger but would like to try before buying!

Carole

I don't see why you couldn't use artists brushes that are real hair, we saw some in the market once and there were a selection of them at a very good price. Worth experimenting with. I guess as long as they are soft hair and not coarse. I copied this info from another site, tells you a bit about where the hair comes from for the kolinksy brushes:

"Did you know that Kolinsky Sable is imported from Russia where the weasel the hair comes from is farmed. The colder winters will produce a better finished product. Kolinsky Sable hair comes from only the tail of the weasel where their are fewer hairs to choose from."

Deb379

i remember this point being raised in training (pre-creative days!)...i was told you couldn't use artists brushes or they weren't as good - something to do with how all the bristles are secured - monomer would disolve this (it was something along those lines but don't know whether we were told this so we felt obliged to buy expensive brushes. I hasten to add this was NOT creative training! No doubt Geeg or Nail Geek can shed some light on this.

I have tried using artist brushes in the past for L&P, not much success I am afraid to add........
They lack that spring in them for the patting, smoothing and so tend to be a bit bendy......The flag has no resistance and it makes it harder to apply the L&P..........
But then again others might get on brill with them...........
The glue might melt in time and then contaminate your application........or will leave you with little hairs embedded in your L&P application.........

So make sure that the hairs are tied and not just glued and placed into the ferrule............
HTH

I have to say I bought a sable haired brush from my local craft shop the same size as an ultra sculptor and although it holds onto the liquid more, its perfect in every other way. It didn`t last nowhere near as long as the Ultra sculptor but then you get what you pay for and when I was going through brushes like there was no tomorrow, this was the cheaper option at the time.
I think you can only try carole, its always worth that and we learn from our mistakes

Debs said:
I have to say I bought a sable haired brush from my local craft shop the same size as an ultra sculptor and although it holds onto the liquid more, its perfect in every other way. It didn`t last nowhere near as long as the Ultra sculptor but then you get what you pay for and when I was going through brushes like there was no tomorrow, this was the cheaper option at the time.
I think you can only try carole, its always worth that and we learn from our mistakes
Thanx for the Debs. I'll give my mums brushes a go on my trusty dummy hand and see how i go. As you say, i can always go for the better one when i'm not going through brushes as much and once i've settled on a size i like. All trial and error i guess!

Latest posts

Back