Question Re. Colour Correctors.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I am asking this question for a friend who's feeling a little confused with the info she has been given. Can any one help please?

She is doing the make-up for a friend's wedding and was not happy with the fact that she was unable to disquise the dark lines under her friends eyes. She was advised to use yellow toned corrector by one person but green by another.

Both her and I thought green corrector was for covering reddish skin. Her friend is fair with dark blonde hair if this helps. I've never met her so this is all the info I can give.

My friend has a City & Guilds Make-up qualification but I think she has lost a bit of confidence. Any ideas?

You are right, green is to cover up reddish skin tones.
A good under eye concealer is Touche Eclat by YSL. However don't use it too heavily or if the person is going to have a lot of close up flash photography. The light reflecting pigments can give a ghostly appearance round the eyes in these conditions.

You are right, green is to cover up reddish skin tones.
A good under eye concealer is Touche Eclat by YSL. However don't use it too heavily or if the person is going to have a lot of close up flash photography. The light reflecting pigments can give a ghostly appearance round the eyes in these conditions.
Thanks for this. My friend did use Virgin Vie 'Out of the Shadows' but this also has light reflective properties so for a bride, I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Neither of these concealers are any good for wedding make-up as they are light-reflecting concealers as opposed to masking concelaers, and you need a good masking concealer. Light reflecting will be no good with any photography.

MAC do a good one for masking, but I'm damned if I can remember the name of the thing (they're very helpful in store though...apply with a concealer brush gently, blend it well and use a good non reflecting foundation too, but the best thing to do is work on reducing those dark circles beforehand.

Neither of these concealers are any good for wedding make-up as they are light-reflecting concealers as opposed to masking concelaers, and you need a good masking concealer. Light reflecting will be no good with any photography.

MAC do a good one for masking, but I'm damned if I can remember the name of the thing (they're very helpful in store though...apply with a concealer brush gently, blend it well and use a good non reflecting foundation too, but the best thing to do is work on reducing those dark circles beforehand.

you know what...i use light reflecting make up...and when i look in the mirror i think i look ok...nice colour and all that...but whenever i have my photo taken my face always looks pale...and not warm like in the mirror....could this be why ...??

you know what...i use light reflecting make up...and when i look in the mirror i think i look ok...nice colour and all that...but whenever i have my photo taken my face always looks pale...and not warm like in the mirror....could this be why ...??

same here and i have always wondered why ..
i use bodyshop brush on buff and then a little shimmer waves ,
so in the mirror i look nice and glowly , but on pics i look pale and pastey ???

Its always best to stay away from light reflective make up when there is flash photography.

I know the Mac concealer Lindsay was referring to - its excellent - but I can't remember the name of it.

Light reflecting make-up is great for that kind of soft focus look in every day life, but yes in photos, it does just what it says on the tin, and reflects the flash back! So you will look pale!

The very fine ones are usually OK....I still swear by Clarins Beauty Flash Balm for wedding make-up, hangover relief, or just general pick me up, as it is worn under regular make-up and doesn't reflect badly at all, and it is a little known trick (apparantly!), by top modelling make-up artists to use the Clarins Eye version of this 'Eye Revive' all over the face as the reflective particles are even finer and therefore don't refract the light too much at all, just give a healthy lift to your face.

I know the Mac concealer Lindsay was referring to - its excellent - but I can't remember the name of it.

And its really bugging me now! I'll be off to the MAC counter tomorrow if I'm fit, I know....just to check it out! lol!

thanks girls x...the ladies on the Mac stands are actual make up artists ain't they...?...not just sales assistants.

First of all, you say there are dark lines under the bride-to-be's eyes? You cannot use a colour corrector, or indeed any concealing product to eradicate lines. The thing to do is to use lightweight makeup sparingly and no powder in the area.

If you are meaning shadow or dark circles under the eyes, then yellow and green colour correctors are most definitely no to be used. Yellow and green c/correctors are used for the same purpose: ruddy complexions. Depending on the severity of the flush, you either use yellow or green. Most of the time I prefer yellow as green, even when used carefully, can look unnatural.

If my clients or models I am working on have particularly bad shadows under their eyes, I use what I would do on sallow asian complexions: warm peach c/corrector. Shadows are cool and need to be warmed to be neutralized. Just remember it is the eye area and you don't need to go caking it on.

All MAC concealers have light reflecting properties. I didn't realise this til last summer when speaking to Terry Barber and was asking his advice regards which of the MAC concealers would be most flash-photog friendly. It is not general light reflecting properties that you need to stay clear of, but Titanium and Zinc oxide specifically, these are what cause white circles around the eyes. MAC's Select Moisturecover, is, IMO, the best to achieve the flawless yet dewy look required for wedding makeup. It also sounds like it will be good for this specific bride's eye area if it is particularly lined....you will want to keep her wrinkles well moisturised and powder free!

I have successfully used YSL Touch Eclat with flash photog, the trick is to mix it with 'normal' concealer (i.e less or non-light reflecting) before applying and use v-e-r-y sparingly. Anything caked on in the eye area will look unnatural whether it be illuminated by flash photog or not! Incidentally, for street makeup, you can load YSL on as long as you blend well after, and you will look very polished and bright eyed :green:

One last thing....never use YSL 1, no matter how light the skin tone.

thanks girls x...the ladies on the Mac stands are actual make up artists ain't they...?...not just sales assistants.
Is this true? By the way Angie, I think you look gorgeous in any of the pics I've seen of you :hug: .

Just getting back to the point of my topic though, what my friend really needs is advice on the colour correcters themselves. I appreciate what you are saying, but so far (apart from Pinkmummy) reference has only been made to brand names rather than the different colours of colour correctors eg. green for reddish blemishes.

No. They have makeup knowledge, because they are given training when they start their job. Some are part time and are actual working freelance makeup artists the rest of the time, these are usually the most knowledgable and are not just filled with sales patter. The standard is variable.

Yes and no. They are trained to make-up artist level,and many do work as make-up artists alongside, but weren't necessarily make-up artists beforehand. Their knowledge of the products and how to use them is usually good, albeit in my humble (and probably aged) opinion, their ideas are sometimes a bit outlandish and OTT. I guess I'm being rather generalistic there though.

I went along for my own wedding to get some ideas for make-up, as I was doing my own, and hadn't trained as much then, and I did look a bit Coco the clown! The use of the colours was bang on however quite heavy, but to me it looked better when i'd given it a good rub off!

If you are meaning shadow or dark circles under the eyes, then yellow and green colour correctors are most definitely no to be used. Yellow and green c/correctors are used for the same purpose: ruddy complexions. Depending on the severity of the flush, you either use yellow or green. Most of the time I prefer yellow as green, even when used carefully, can look unnatural.

If my clients or models I am working on have particularly bad shadows under their eyes, I use what I would do on sallow asian complexions: warm peach c/corrector. .

Just getting back to the point of my topic though, what my friend really needs is advice on the colour correcters themselves. I appreciate what you are saying, but so far (apart from Pinkmummy) reference has only been made to brand names rather than the different colours of colour correctors eg. green for reddish blemishes.

I thought Amy answered your questions....she gave a lot of advise regarding the colour of corrector to use....maybe you missed it in amongst all the other info she gave !!

Yes, I am referring to dark shadows/circles under the eyes. If I remember correctly, my friend described them as almost blueish.

Golly, I'm really confused now.

I thought Amy answered your questions....she gave a lot of advise regarding the colour of corrector to use....maybe you missed it in amongst all the other info she gave !!
Amy posted at about the same time I did, so I missed her comments whilst I was posting!!

[quote=Mrs.Clooney;514092]Yes, I am referring to dark shadows/circles under the eyes. If I remember correctly, my friend described them as almost blueish.

Golly, I'm really confused now.[/quote]

Yep, as I said....shadows are cold (blueish) so use peach c/correcter to neautralize them. Use it sparingly and under base :green:

[quote=Mrs.Clooney;514092]Yes, I am referring to dark shadows/circles under the eyes. If I remember correctly, my friend described them as almost blueish.

Golly, I'm really confused now.

Yep, as I said....shadows are cold (blueish) so use peach c/correcter to neautralize them. Use it sparingly and under base :green:[/quote]
Thank you Amy. I promised I would try to find this out for her. It's great info for me too and I will pass this on.

Thank you everybody for your replies.

Latest posts

Back