Question: should the British Fashion Council ban size Zeros from London Fasion Week

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I agree the should ban size zeros.

Do do you think it's right or is it not their rights to decide, or does it not matter either way?

I think this is a ridiculous size even for a catwalk model.

The fashion industry needs to send the right message out and hopefully Britain will follow the examples of Italy and Spain – and shame on France for not having either the courage or for seeing how wrong it is to support this super waif like frames it just not healthy IMO.

Just to be clear I'm not in anyway saying that size 6's etc if you diet to become that size for the sake of fashion when it's not a healthy wieght for your height than then this needs to be stopped.

Didn't even know you could get a size zero. Painfully thin I would imagine!

There is so much empasis on size in the fashion industry and so many women, men and children who have eating disorders etc I think they should have a ban on a size zero.

I can't imagine being that size is healthy for anyone.

IMO Teri x:hug:

if someone is naturally built that way...and some are...(i was a 8 for years and always ate well, just couldn't gain weight..)...then thats fine, however if you are creating this build in a unhealthy manner then its wrong....thing is..so often we hear..."i am like this naturally"...how would we know if this was true.

I am now a size 12 and alot happier...i love to see curves and think that clothes look better hugging you than just hanging off your shoulders like a coat hanger...why cant some fashion designers see this too.

Who is telling them that this is what people want to see....?

Ditto what Angie said from start to finish! Make clothes for real women!

Ditto what Angie and Sassy said. Although I think I must be two real women in one! (Inside me there's a thin woman screaming to get out, I feed the b*~#@h chocolate to keep her quiet!)
Is the size 0 they're talking about the American size 0? If so that's a British 6 or 4 isn't it. I don't think this should be the advertised industry norm, but I don't feel we should slate girls who are naturally like it.
My daughter is naturally very slender, so much so, that at a recent family wedding, a guest who was a nutritionist started talking to me about the emaciated bridesmaid (not realising I was her mother:eek: .)
She eats loads, if we have spag bol, she has 2 plates full. She eats a very healthy diet and plays lots of sports etc. It's just her genetic makeup. Shame it skipped a generation with me.:irked:

I agree, its not a good look anyway. 6ft long clothes prop look a likes, no thanks, get some adult walrus a likes on like me!!:lol:

I was horrified to need a size 6 in Next for trousers last year.... I am now a size 8 with a jelly belly, got no boobs (droopy Chimp nipples) and these things called cheek bones landed on my face....

... I make the ironing board look seductive..

.. but I would love to be a nice sexy size 12!!! Curves and flesh would suit me much better!

I think some look okay, some don't. Lily Cole (US 0, UK 4), for example, is tall and willowy and looks glowing and healthy, not gaunt and sickly like others of her size.

I think it comes down to frame as well, those with narrower, petite frames can be a size 0/4 and look very slender but not unwell.

I look ridiculous as a size 10 or below because I'm 5'10" and have the shoulders and muscles of a German shotputter.

](US 0, UK 4),[/SIZE]

Thanks for clarifying what a size 0 is...a UK size 4....size 4!! seriously isn't that like a childs size? I thought a size 8 was unattainable!!:rolleyes:

Fashion designer Jean Paul Gaultier found his own way to comment on the 'size zero' debate - by putting a larger model down the catwalk to show off his clothes.
Dressed in a daring black corsetry, the plus-sized model dwarfed her fellow waif-like catwalk queens.

Clearly more of a size 20 than the controversial model Size 0, this voluptuous woman proved big is beautiful as she strutted down the runway at Gaultier's 30th anniversary show yesterday during fashion week in Paris.

Way to go JP - even if it was last year.

And here's the result....
Zero action on size zero at London Fashion Week | the Daily Mail

Im a bit undecided on this. I expect there are some girls that are naturally tiny (size 4) my friend is a size 6 & she has a tiny bone structure & i don't think she looks ill or anything she is just naturally small but if she was a model would people assume she was dieting to be that thin.

If I wanted to be a size zero there is no way it would happen due to my bone structure even if i stopped eating for two weeks my hip hones will still be size 10 !

This is a tough one for me to answer.

I definately feel that catwalks send the wrong message... with every single model being gaunt. It's simply NOT possible that each and every one of them is 'naturally' that slim.
It would be 'wise' to ban size o's..

However, this opens the door to a different kind of discrimination than what we currently have on the catwalks.

I used to be NATURALLY a size zero. I was very active in sports, ballet, fast metabolism, plus naturally tiny in the genetic department.
This is me as a size 'o' NATURALLY:
jul11-98 victoria @ tracy's wedding pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

oct-00 victoria thanksgiving pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

oct-99 dan & i, halloween bowling alley pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

And me as a size 2, NATURALLY, after 1 kid:
aug10-02 victoria & daniel wendy's wedding pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

And a size 4 after 2 kids:
VictoriaYapping May2006 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

I come from a long line of petite people. I used to buy a size 1 or 2, and take it to the tailors to be adjusted to fit because it was still way too big and didn't fit right. The picture for the lavendar dress... that was made for me for my girlfriend's wedding. We bought a size one pattern that was still too big, and the seamstress had to adjust it.

To ask them to ban size o's is discrimination against those who are naturally that size. What I WOULD like to see enforced is a MIX of different sized people on their catwalks. That way, not discriminating against everyone AND providing a more accurate and realistic view.

Instead of banning size o's, why not enforce variety.
Example: such and such percent of the models for the show must be such and such a size, such and such percent must be that size, and so on.
I'd also like to see this applied to magazines.

This way, no one is discriminated against, AND a better example is set. We don't want to encourage our daughters to be anorexics. But, we don't want the naturally tiny people like myself to be made to feel like crap either.

I was teased and insulted for many years over my size. Nothing is more insulting than for someone to accuse me of anorexia or similar. And the word skinny....... just ticks me off:!: :irked: If anyone thinks it's easy to be this size, you couldn't be further from the truth.

Just thought I'd offer another perspective on this banning issue.

speaking as someone who was a size 8/10 and is now after three kids and twenty odd years a size 14 I would not want to be 8/10 again as it would not look nice at my age, i would look gaunt with saggy bits but I would be a happier size 12 if I could resist the wine and choccies.
I agree we should have models of say 8- 10 -12-14 and 16 on the catwlk as this would be a good representation of the various sizes of girls and women now. then you could see what those clothes would really look like on you.

Forgot to say:

Good luck finding size 0 or 1 or 2 in a department store, or wherever.

I could NEVER find those sizes anywhere in the stores that I could afford UNLESS it was a store that targetted teens. Being an adult, that worked in an office... it was impossible to find affordable clothes to fit me.
UNLESS I wanted to go to a fancy-shmancy store where a pair of pants cost 100 to 200$ JUST for a pair of pants:eek:, never mind a whole outfit.

Some argue "go to the petite store". Newsflash: petite stores target SHORT people. Not people of average height with tiny/delicate frames. CLothes in petite stores were too short:irked: . The legs of pants, the sleeves of shirts or jackets... allllll too short. And again.. they tend to be pricey too.

And forget your walmarts or zellers department stores. They stocked nothing under size 8, and that size can NOT be adjusted to a size 0 or 1.

Although I'm MUCH happier my size 4 to 6 (depending on what I wear or who made it) and although I still sometimes fit into size 2's....
I still have a major hard time finding clothes to fit properly, and I still get picked on. Anything sold in "small, medium or large" doesn't fit either. Usually 'small' is too big.

I would just like to see a realistic representation on the catwalks and in magazines AND ON TV and in the movies.
I'm tired of seeing the same size women doing the same thing, that paints and unrealistic picture of today's women.

Variety is the spice of life, and THAT is the picture they should portray.

I think that designer clothes should be obtainable for all sizes, its ridiculous to limit them to a size 6-16. Clothes should be able to look good on anybody regardless of their size, and if as I say clothes are limited to the above sizes, then it doesnt say much for the tailor if they can only make clothes look good on these sizes!

I think some of the catwalk models that are a size 0 look very un healthy, ill almost, but then they are very tall aswell.

It annoys me that these girls are role models to alot of young girls, and to see them strutting their stuff in beautiful clothes, makes it worse, as this is the look that appeals!

Why berate underweight models, then champion an overweight one?

Both are unhealthy role models

I'm not berating the models, more the industry what I found interesting is that JP took it to the other extreme to prove the point that size 0/4 is not the only size for a catwalk.

And yes they are I quite agree but I never said that other model was a good role model either.

I'm not berating the models, more the industry what I found interesting is that JP took it to the other extreme to prove the point that size 0/4 is not the only size for a catwalk.

And yes they are I quite agree but I never said that other model was a good role model either.

Fair enough, you berate the industry, not the models. But can you see why I thought it was a bit hypocritical saying "super waif like frames it's just not healthy in my opinion" and then "way to go" when JPG used a clinically obese model, which obviously isn't healthy either!

Would just be nice to see a range of girls of healthy sizes, whether it be naturally very slim or curvaceous, who have beautiful proportionate bodies.

Fair enough, you berate the industry, not the models. But can you see why I thought it was a bit hypocritical saying "super waif like frames it's just not healthy in my opinion" and then "way to go" when JPG used a clinically obese model, which obviously isn't healthy either!

Would just be nice to see a range of girls of healthy sizes, whether it be naturally very slim or curvaceous, who have beautiful proportionate bodies.

Absolutly i see what your saying .

I wish we saw more size 12's even, i'd love to be that slim

Something we forgot to consider.

Aside from the 'look' of tinier people in fashion clothes, and how most times it is attractive (not all, the emaciated models do nothing for the clothes); keep in mind how much more cost effective it is for designers and those producing the shows to make only one size?

While designing the 'costumes', they use size models. All along the way, from conception to the show, they use people that are of the same size, to fit and design the clothes.
If people were different sizes along the way, it would not be cost effective.

Even smaller clothing companies, that produce clothes for department stores and not runways. They have secretaries that double as size models. Hence why you sometimes see adverts for secretaries or receptionists of a certain size in the job search columns of the paper.

Don't get me wrong. I do not approve of every single size model on the runway being a size 0. But, I'm not for banning it either. As I said earlier, it's a discrimination of a different kind than what presently exists.
But keep in mind, shows are expensive to run to begin with. Never mind adding the expense of having additional sizes to contend with, and needing to match up sizes with the same sized models. They'd need every size of person on staff.

Just some food for thought.

Latest posts

Back