Questions, if you don't mind....re: tips pt II

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eni

Reaction score
As some of you know, I trained in the 80's and am now contemplating getting back into the biz (btw: re: my earlier question regarding TT - looks like I'll have to take a refresher in Auckland once I get to NZ, thanx for all the responses)....:)

Anyway, read the whole five pages on well less tips....interesting to say the least. Haven't used them and don't intend to as I prefer the customisation available with the wells.

So here are the questions for the geeks assembled:

I have mentored with two techs.....one of them believes that once the natural nail gets to a certain point, a soak off is required, cut down the free edge and re tip and this makes the enhancement stronger. The other (whose theory is more like what I was taught) is to tip in the beginning, let the nail grow out underneath and then all future service is NNO.

Which method is most used, most preferable, most correct?

These same two techs also have differing ideas on product. I'm an L&P girl myself as we didn't really do "gels" in beauty school in the dark ages. It was there, but it wasn't really covered.

One tech believes that if you follow theory two, that you should transition the customer to gel for NNO. The other believes that you should continue with L&P for the strength but use a gel overcoat to seal the work.

thoughts?

I do know that *for me* L&P works best on my hands as they take one hell of a beating and the one set of gels I did get, didn't last very long. Could have been the application of the gel or could have been my own body chemistry, whatever. Thats just FYI information.

Any opinions, most appreciated.

Thank you!

My advice to you would be to use the product that YOU feel most confident in and if that is L&P then go with that. There is nothing stopping you training with gel but if you feel happier with L&P, then your finished nail will IMHO always be superior.

With regard to the tips, personally I think that your ultimate aim should be to have just a natural nail overlay - why? Well I believe (rightly or wrongly) that a nno will be stronger - only two surfaces so to speak meeting opposed to three if you tip - IMHO three joins will be weaker than two.

I wish you well with getting back into "the biz" it's refreshing to see people researching the industry to see what has changed :green::hug:

I use gel and only every tip once (if required at all as even with a short free edge a NNO can look lovely) ....then its rebalances every 3-4 weeks and so on.

I have clients that have been having rebalnces for 2 years....no need to remove all there natural nails and re-tip...i don't see what you would gain from this.

HTH x

Hello!

So I'm not completely out of my mind thinking that NNO is the way to go. (see sometimes the old ways are still valid and old dogs don't need new tricks).

I just think the whole soak off and re-tip is not only more work for the tech (me) but not healthy for the customer either. (exposure, etc).

As I said I've only done myself to get my confidence back up and I just lurves my L&P and it works for me, so I've not had any burning desire to get into gel. I've watched mentor #1 do gels and it just doesn't do it for me and thats fine if it does it for someone else. (live and let live)

Thank you!
Nancy

Hi, I agree with what has been said here about applying tips and then allowing them to grow up, and becoming a NNO and have clients who have never had a soak off because there is no need.

However, amongst my clients are a few people whose own natural nails are a very yellowy colour and when they can see their own nail at the back of the enhancement they do not like it SO in circumstances like this I do soak off and re-tip, so that the client has a nice colour tip to see at the back of her nails instead.

Wouldn't what the client wants also come into the picture? Ideally a nno is what we aim for but the client may not want that (rightly or wrongly), they may want a new set every 6 months, so what they require should also be considered. Just a thought.

Edit: snap blossom. I type too slow

Hi, I agree with what has been said here about applying tips and then allowing them to grow up, and becoming a NNO and have clients who have never had a soak off because there is no need.

However, amongst my clients are a few people whose own natural nails are a very yellowy colour and when they can see their own nail at the back of the enhancement they do not like it SO in circumstances like this I do soak off and re-tip, so that the client has a nice colour tip to see at the back of her nails instead.
soz but can u tell me what nno & imho means i know its short for something :irked:

soz but can u tell me what nno & imho means i know its short for something :irked:

nno...natural nail overlay
imho...in my honest opinion

what the customer wants comes into it alot ... personally my self I cannot stand seeing my natural nail underneath (for one if I can see it I pick at it!), I like to see the underside all glittery or perfectly white... so when I rebalance my own I file the tip right off, the free edge back to 2mm and sculpt on a new tip and do a normal rebalance on zones 2-3 (unless I am changing the nail bed colour then I file the lot off) My clients tend to like the clean underside look of a fully sculpted tip also (probably from seeing mine so much)... so I'd probably say I have an even split of ladies who are NNO and Sculpted tips. (funnily enough my reformed nail bitters are mostly the NNO clients now)

My clients love that they get to NNO...they are so proud of there nails and actually get humpy if someone says ..."like ya falsies"...:lol:...they are all like ..."no they are my own nails with a gel overlay"

If i was to cut them off and re-tip/sculpt i am sure i would have world war 3 on my hands.

Latest posts

Back