Quickest way to soak off??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny-Nails

Reaction score
I use CND products and a couple of times I have experienced problems when soaking off overlays and wondered if anyone could give me some tips please.

I pour my tip remover into a bowl with a bowl of hot water underneath and soak the nails for 15 mins with a cloth over the top.

I take my cuticle pusher tool and begin to scrape off the old product, but sometimes it only scrapes off a REALLY thin layer of product, so I repeat the procedure...and the same happens. This is making soaking off an anxious time for me when I am working against the clock trying to keep to my appointment times (I do give myself an extra 40 mins).

Anyone else come across this problem, and if so...how did you resolve it?

Could really do with some help here???

Thanks guys

JEnny-Nails
Notts/Derbyhire :lol:

Hi Jenny
Soak offs are a big problem for me too. Have you tried soaking cotton pads in Acetone, then put one on each nail and wrap foil around finger. Leave for 20-30 minutes and then start scraping. It still takes a while but at least client is not tied to a bowl.

Good luck
Marion x
Jenny-Nails said:
I use CND products and a couple of times I have experienced problems when soaking off overlays and wondered if anyone could give me some tips please.

I pour my tip remover into a bowl with a bowl of hot water underneath and soak the nails for 15 mins with a cloth over the top.

I take my cuticle pusher tool and begin to scrape off the old product, but sometimes it only scrapes off a REALLY thin layer of product, so I repeat the procedure...and the same happens. This is making soaking off an anxious time for me when I am working against the clock trying to keep to my appointment times (I do give myself an extra 40 mins).

Anyone else come across this problem, and if so...how did you resolve it?

Could really do with some help here???

Thanks guys

JEnny-Nails

Why not try buffing some first then putting remover on lint free pad and wrapping individual fingers in foil, then wrapping the whole hand in a towel to kep the heat in. The foil really keeps the heat in and works quite fast. Failing that a quick soak bowl will keep the remover warmer for longer, you can get one from Fiona

Jenny-Nails said:

I take my cuticle pusher tool and begin to scrape off the old product, but sometimes it only scrapes off a REALLY thin layer of product
JEnny-Nails
Hi Jenny
I cover my clients hands with a towel to keep the heat in and tell them they can aggitate them but not take them out. After 20 mins (not before) I tease the product with an orange stick (gently) but do not take them out of the remover as they will start to go hard again very quickly. (A buff first helps as well.) If necessary I keep them in the remover and repeat the above every 10 mins.
HTH's

Also, not sure if you are already doing it, but i tend to file the nail first, certainly take the free edge down, which seems to make it quicker!

:green: some good advice there guys....THANKS!!

Fiona send me a PM too and have checked out her website (Thanks Fiona) and think her brilliant idea of the Quicksoak bowl is gonna be my next buy!

Thanks again

Jenny-nails :lol:

Well this is what I do... :idea: ....................
I dont remove polish unless it is a dark colour.
I trim the extension back to the free edge.
I place a bowl into a slighlty larger bowl of warm water or get Fionas Quick soak off bowl,(I got one and couldn't live without it) then add the acetone.
If I am doing a new set straight afterwards I don't add any oil.

Place a towel over the hands, leave the fingers in there to soak for about 10 minutes, then check on the product softening, once the product has softened I take out one finger at the time(keep the others in the acetone)and scrape off as much as possible. If you take out all fingers at the same time you will find that by the time you get to finger no.3, the product has hardend again.
Once all the fingers are free from product I get the client to wash her hands. On a good acrylic product this will take about 20-25 minutes max.

HTH

A soak off should really not be a long process.
If you are new to nails, chances are your nails are a bit thicker than they need to be which is making the process take longer.
30 minutes should be about the maximum time you need to do this.
Everyones advice has been good.

Lightly etch the product and remove any excess at the tips.
Definitely warm the product, tuck the client up under a towel and don't even look at the nails for 15 minutes. Instruct clients to gently agitate their fingers.
By this time a good thick layer should have softened.
Layer the product off while the fingers are still submerged and leave for a further 10 minutes and repeat.
If it takes longer than 30 minutes, then your enhancements are thicker than they need to be.

How about getting those new tip plug thingies! We have discussed them before on here but I can't remember what they are called! :rolleyes:

Anyway, you basically fill each one with acetone and it attaches on to the finger tips. This way, when one nail has soaked off, you can remove the plug and get to work!

It looks like an ideal time saver, especially if you file down the extension as advised above! Plus it will keep the fumes to a minimum. (If fumes is the wrong word themn somebody please correct me! :o

I am definatley going to get some. :) :)

Well my personal opinion is one can get the same result using an acetone- soaked pad and tin foil as we've already mentioned.
This method is cheap, not fiddly and no 'vapours'!!

Some find the finger soaker things rather tight and uncomfortable to wear plus fiddly to fill and use.
Both ways work just fine.

"Some find the finger soaker things rather tight and uncomfortable to wear plus fiddly to fill and use.
Both ways work just fine.[/QUOTE]

Fingerspa is the name! Not fiddly at all to fill, use a pipette, no mess. As with the tin foil method, you can soak off one at a time. The company are bringing out larger sizes to fit thumbs & larger fingers in the summer.

I have used all methods in my time, all are equally good, some just have more attributes than others in my opinion.

Best wishes
Karen

For soaking off a full set I obviously (LOL) use the Quicksoak Bowl but if I need to remove only one then I use the Finger Spa - by the time you have prepared all of the other 9 ready for rebalancing, the other one has soaked off.

I am please to hear they are bringing out larger sizes.

I never seem to have foil in the house when I need it LOL.

I use an electric gadget that heats the liquid which is great but when doing the odd nail I use the foil method. I bought foil from a wholesalers which they use for foiling highlights in hair, its the perfect size and its always to hand

Debs said:
I use an electric gadget that heats the liquid which is great but when doing the odd nail I use the foil method. I bought foil from a wholesalers which they use for foiling highlights in hair, its the perfect size and its always to hand

I've got one of them electric ultrasonic soak off pots too, It was a bit pricey but well worth it. It is thermostatically controlled so there is no danger of scalding the clients fingers. I use it to soak off full sets but I think the foil idea is best for the odd nail or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back