Quiet times and what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi sorry you are going through this.
I had a salon in a very affluent area, it was beautifully decorated and I used the best products on my clients. I gave up in the end as the business became very seasonal, my rent and bills were high and it was starting to effect my health about how I was going to pay all of the bills without clients. I never reduced prices as I couldn’t afford to, in my opinion if you do you will only get people through the door who want a deal and cheap treatments. They will then wait until you have a special offer again to book. I would sometimes instead to an add on such as book a facial and received a free head massage etc .... so it wasn’t reducing prices but offering a freebie.
I think the beauty industry is so saturated with therapists and salons and people doing it from home and mobile that it’s very hard to compete and make an good living.
that’s my personal feelings but please take advice from other therapists too.
I now do something completely different x
I l
Hi sorry you are going through this.
I had a salon in a very affluent area, it was beautifully decorated and I used the best products on my clients. I gave up in the end as the business became very seasonal, my rent and bills were high and it was starting to effect my health about how I was going to pay all of the bills without clients. I never reduced prices as I couldn’t afford to, in my opinion if you do you will only get people through the door who want a deal and cheap treatments. They will then wait until you have a special offer again to book. I would sometimes instead to an add on such as book a facial and received a free head massage etc .... so it wasn’t reducing prices but offering a freebie.
I think the beauty industry is so saturated with therapists and salons and people doing it from home and mobile that it’s very hard to compete and make an good living.
that’s my personal feelings but please take advice from other therapists too.
I now do something completely different x
I really like the piece you wrote, I know a lady who use to do my nails, she actually stopped offering gel nails altogether in her salon because too many girls were learning a trade in as little as days that she spend years at and charging so little. She charged €60 for a full set which I used to pay, but as she doesn't do them anymore I have to go to a different girl and she charges €30. Being honest I don't notice the difference in the nails. It's unfortunate you found it only as seasonal as I taught every woman and man would get them done regularly?

Hiya. Just looking at this thread. To be honest I've never been asked if my nail products were vegan either. I'm vegetarian BTW lol.... It never really occurred to me, I must be a bad vegetarian lol.... ANYHOOOOO. Buzniz wise, we all have to start to think outside the box after all this lockdown stuff. I don't think things will be returning to normal for a while so it's been a good kick up the humpf for a lot of us to start to think about other money-making ideas. Luckily I write textbooks and train in a shed load of subjects so I'm kept out of trouble. Another lucky thing is that I work from home which keeps costs down. I do a lot of things myself like run Facebook ads and YouTube. I have had to learn all the techny stuff which takes a lot of time and effort you wouldn't believe! But I have been using this time I've had and put it to good use. Youtube is a goldmine for ideas, don't overlook it. Even use it to update and develop new skills. Don't forget that there is help in the form of Universal Credit and up to 80% of your average monthly profit if you have submitted a couple of self-assessments.

Hope this helps

Nicky X

I am vegan and I'd only visit a salon if I could establish before hand that the product were vegan, so I probably wouldn't ask the salon, I'd do my own research and find bands that were cruelty free and salons that use them.
Hiya. The vegan aspect of this thread has caught my attention. I myself am a Vegetarian. My own skincare range is Vegan and I have become more aware that this is what people are wanting now. Can you recommend some nail tech products that are vegan friendly that I can look into getting, as I wasn't aware? Sometimes I swear I just live in a buddle at times!

Thanx

Nicky x

Latest posts

Back