Racist clients, how to deal with them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you see this client again?

• Total voters
I have had so many people talk politics, immigrants, relationships, religion I just let them spout off and say see you next time...that's just me as a person xx

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Obviously, he should have said

'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men and women to do nothing'

Apathy is the scourge that needs kicking into touch.

Sadly, there are too many bystanders in this world who convince themselves that acting alone, they cannot influence change in others, so they don't even bother to try. They fail to see the bigger picture and that if everyone did one small thing, change would be the inevitable outcome.

Here you go .... For your door
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1445098164.135463.jpg

I have plenty of clients whose opinions I disagree with and some that I actually find offensive. In most cases I ignore the comments and change the subject, in others I say I strongly disagree and don't want the subject brought up in my salon. BUT.... my job is to provide beauty services, not to change opinions or tell other people what they should or shouldn't think. If you're a vile person it's really not my issue.... I do my job, shut the door and remain thankful you're not my friend or family. As a self employed therapist it's your prerogative to run your business as you see fit... and that includes deciding who you treat and who you don't. Unfortunately the world is full of horrible, bigoted, narrow minded people.... even though they're ugly on the inside, they still want to be beautiful on the outside! x

I have plenty of clients whose opinions I disagree with and some that I actually find offensive. In most cases I ignore the comments and change the subject, in others I say I strongly disagree and don't want the subject brought up in my salon. BUT.... my job is to provide beauty services, not to change opinions or tell other people what they should or shouldn't think. If you're a vile person it's really not my issue.... I do my job, shut the door and remain thankful you're not my friend or family. As a self employed therapist it's your prerogative to run your business as you see fit... and that includes deciding who you treat and who you don't. Unfortunately the world is full of horrible, bigoted, narrow minded people.... even though they're ugly on the inside, they still want to be beautiful on the outside! x
I agree.
There's lots of people who have opinions I completely disagree with.
And unfortunately I live in an area with small minds. You wouldn't be able to change their minds, so it's easier (and you're less likely to lose a client) to agree to disagree and never say anything on that matter again...

Although, if I had a truly hideous client I don't know what I would do...

We are so easily offended these days.
Some have WAY TOOO MUCH to say for themselves......:eek:
.............And some should learn to keep their mouths shut.:oops:

We would all 'rub along' so much better if we lived by the old adage ......
"If you've nothing good to say...say nothing....." ;)

I agree.
There's lots of people who have opinions I completely disagree with.
And unfortunately I live in an area with small minds. You wouldn't be able to change their minds, so it's easier (and you're less likely to lose a client) to agree to disagree and never say anything on that matter again...

Although, if I had a truly hideous client I don't know what I would do...

Ok. 5/6 years and I've had, maybe not a truly hideous client. But I wanted to stop mid cut and tell her where to go.

But little old me didn't. I think I made it quite clear that I completely disagree with her views and she apologised for being so bitter.

She did basically say, unless I have lived in a multi cultural area I can't have an opinion. [emoji58]

And I stupidly (out of habit) gave her my cars as she left.

For this particular client I would simply confront her if you feel you can and just say something along the lines of: I'd rather not discuss things like that as I don't have a problem with people of any race. If she chooses to be continuously rude you could then get rid of her. I'm too nice to people though...and I treat everyone equally. I've had to work with drug addicts, black, white, disabled etc and I do feel that as a professional you adapt to whatever your client needs, make yourself understand what they need and they tend to respect you more.

I find people are rude and obnoxious and racist from all backgrounds but for some, that's their culture. You can't change that. If you want to work with them you do and if you don't then you politely tell them where to go.

Latest posts

Back