Raising prices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eloise86

Eloise86
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was self employed st a Salon for 5 years, built a what I’d like to think of as a loyal clientele. I moved 6 miles away from the Salon I worked at and had a boutique hair Salon in my garden (its much more professional than it sounds...) I lowered my prices to lure ppl to follow me (on average by £10 for colour and cut) and they also have free allocated parking. I have found costs to be a lot more than I dreamed of, colour costs and products to be the two highest costs (not to mention the extension of the mortgage to finish it). Colour costs went up after I did my price lists by about 30p a tube of tint. I know they will go up again come april. Also since opening the salon I’ve found I don’t get tipped anywhere near what I used to, and we did rely on those too. Want to put my prices up in the new tax year, the Salon would be opened for a year by then. I would say I kept 80% of my clientele. I give myself more time for each individual, I wait on them hand and foot and it’s a better quality salon than most in town. It cost me a lot to build and stock etc. How much should I raise them by? Was thinking £2 for colour services and £1 for finishing services (blow dry

I think the best thing for you to do is raise the price when you need to and have signs saying that the cost has risen due to product price rising. that way its clear and removes the blame from you.

This is a good time to raise your prices. Tell your clients via a poster / email / fb post (whatever you use to keep in touch normally) that there will be s price increase from jan 1st.
Print off your new price list to hand out between now and new year. This way you have fully informed them of the coming changes.

To keep up with inflation you should increase prices by 2% at least.
Many salons add 3% each year.
Anything between 2 and 5% rise won't bother clients too much.
Anything above 10% might loose you clients I suspect however you can always do small increases six monthly if that's where your prices need to get too!

Thank you so much guys... I feel 3% is very similar to what I’d like to do.. I do find it scary though [emoji51] xxx

I just tell my clients there will be a few price increases on some treatments in the new year. End of, job done! you don’t need to justify it!

Yes put your prices up - do not be a busy fool x

Was going to wait til the new tax year, do you think I should do it before in January? Xxx

Was going to wait til the new tax year, do you think I should do it before in January? Xxx

Absolutely just do it!!!......you could always do a “special offer” just for the month of January at last years prices![emoji6] x

Thanks guys! [emoji8][emoji8][emoji8]xxxxx

May I ask Eloise how you got on with the price increase strategy please?

Ppl were quite accepting of it, a few ppl said ‘ ooo that’s a big jump (£2), I just explained that product cost have gone up twice in that time (which is not a lie).
I’ve just had 3 months maternity off, and some went elsewhere, they paid £15 more plus parking and got s mediocre haircut. They’ve come back and don’t think they’d moan again! Xxxxx

Ppl were quite accepting of it, a few ppl said ‘ ooo that’s a big jump (£2), I just explained that product cost have gone up twice in that time (which is not a lie).
I’ve just had 3 months maternity off, and some went elsewhere, they paid £15 more plus parking and got s mediocre haircut. They’ve come back and don’t think they’d moan again! Xxxxx
Thank you for that, congratulations on new baby too :) xx

Latest posts

Back