Rant sorry need some help please geeks :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
hey everyone been debating on weather to post this or not
Bit of a long rant sorry, i have been in my new work place now for 6 months first 2 months were great but after that everything has gone down hill, i work for a well known hotel and have 2 managers bit confusing i know, well where to begin i feel that me and my collegues are being treated unfairly but would like anyones advice!

every month we have a set rota so i like to plan the days that i have off around these hours although my assistant managers likes to change to rota at least 3 times a month and tweaks hours so she can go home early or go into a treatment room and do her makeup, i feel like i dont have a life as eveytime i write my hours down i go back in and there changed again without any notice, now being on a part time contract i feel i am entitled to look for other work on the days i have off as they cant provide me with full time hours, i went to my manger and said that this was a problem and he said that he understands and that i should have been given notice!! (sure he does)

second thing is in my contract it states i need to be given 1 months written notice to any significant changes which is the next part my manager has now decided that he wants to close wednesdayswhich was decided yesterday and has been put into action from next week and has now also changed this months rota half way through the month, after saying to me that he understands about it changing all the time! me and the other therapists was looking through the rota to write the new hours down to find that we have clients booked in and they have left it to us to cancel appointments and let ppl down

3rd thing is we had a rough patch in december where there wasnt much clientele comin through the door and we all had a meeting and my manager turned round and said that its basically its all of our faults that were not making buisness And bringin in revenue and that if we dont start then he will have to send us home unpaid! which didnt go down well with all of us girls after giving him a million ideas to increase revenue which was sitting in his office he had the cheek to say it was our faults and we would get in trouble by the hotel! the thing with being ina hotel we cant go out and advertise ourself as were not allowed to it has to go through our manager then above through to his manager to make sure it has all the brand standards so this was our argument!and the fact that surely its illegal as were all on contracts that he cant just decide to send us home unpaid, as he wasnt going to loose a days pay for the mistakes hes made! annd his words were well if you dont like it you know where the door is

4th thing my manager had this brainy idea to make us go stand on the main high street and hand out passes for 25% treatments to passing trade which hasnt worked at all and asolutley freezing outside i might add and when one of the girls said its snowing today can i give it a miss he said well dont you own a coat i feel like were being treated and spoken to like crap he doesnt own this salon he works in the hotel and runs that department although he hasnt got the first clue about beauty he made one of the girls scrub the sauna and when he came to look at it he turned round and said its not good enough do it again!

i looked at the rota today and they have put me down as a holiday day although i havent agreed to take holiday and they have done this with the other girls aswel are they allowed to do this?

i came up with an idea to put special leaflets in the rooms so i designed them all ect they worked really well and brought ppl in( not rocket science really) i have now been given the job as promoter/marketing and a beauty therapist to oh and also we have to clean the salon aswel although my contract clearly states job role Beauty therapist amd doesnt say i have to do any other job than this!

my manger comes to us and tells us to do jobs then my assistant manager says your not doin that, then we get told off by our other manager omg its awful here!!!

my assistant manger uses us girls to do treatments on her in our work hours and puts her name in the diary as someone else she uses products from the shelves on herself shes also really miserable and slams things about and ignores us girsl when we ask for her advice and that she just huffs at us and tslks to us like crap, whenever we no shes going to be working we always say to eachother oh hows so and so today so we can tiptoe around her its not a very nice atmosphere to be honest me and the girsl are seriously working in a stressfull environment although when they both arent there on a sunday we have such a good day thats another thing by the way neither of them work sundays!

im just a bit confused on what to do as me and the girls are so frustrated theres so much more i could rant about but ill leave it at that for now should i go above and say something or am i suppose to do all this stuff and just get on with it this is my first job in a salon and i have never known something to be such a sham in all my life!

Thanks for reading:sad:

Sounds like you're having a nightmare time, have they actually used one of your holiday days without you requesting it??

Are you employed by the salon or by the hotel? If it's a well known hotel company, they should have their own HR department and I think you really need to get the rest of your team together who are unhappy with the situation, and have a meeting with HR. You CAN do this without your managers being present, and feedback will be given to them anonymously, so no-one is sticking their head above the parapet. My team did this in our hotel spa, and it really helped. Message me if you want any more info.

If you are employed by the salon, I say visit CAB for employment advice. There's SO MANY rules and regs being broken here.

All the best,

Sarah xx

Sounds like you're having a nightmare time, have they actually used one of your holiday days without you requesting it??

Are you employed by the salon or by the hotel? If it's a well known hotel company, they should have their own HR department and I think you really need to get the rest of your team together who are unhappy with the situation, and have a meeting with HR. You CAN do this without your managers being present, and feedback will be given to them anonymously, so no-one is sticking their head above the parapet. My team did this in our hotel spa, and it really helped. Message me if you want any more info.

If you are employed by the salon, I say visit CAB for employment advice. There's SO MANY rules and regs being broken here.

All the best,

Sarah xx
Thanks for replying its been playing on my mind for ages yea Theres a HR department and me and the girls have said that we're all do it together, I'm employed by the hotel it's not a separate buisness none of my manager own this they just run the department, there's no confidentiality as one of my colleagues went to our main manager and complained about our assistant manager and he went back and told her that none of us like her!
We was in pure shock when she told us o btw he says none of u like me!

Yes they have wrote down on the rota for one of the days it says I'm on holiday although I haven't Said I would take this day as holiday,I was originally suppose to be working this day!
Xx

I would take your contract along to Citzens advice along with any emails, copies of your changed rotas or memos from your managers proving they have breached your contract.

More evidance you have more chance you have of proving a breach of contract has taken place.

In the mean time i would strongly recommend looking for another job.

I recon I may have to take this to HR department with the other girls and get it sorted, my managers have had numerous meetings with people above them and had good tellings off for not running the department properly but if they only new all of it, it would be a different matter! Thanks for all your help xx

Hi there. This type of thing just p1sses me off so so much!! You have the power to do something about it though so dont be scared to take action. All of the replies above have given you good advise already and I would personally go to HR together with the other girls, and take evidence with you if you have any. I was working in a corporate (although office job) with lots of problems (not as severe as these but still completely wrong) and there were so many people going to HR in the end to complain that one of the Team leaders got fired. I would strongly advise you to take action and also, look for another job! Really sad you have to go through all that but if no one stops this then people employed after you will suffer too, so speak now.
Let me know how you get on! good luck x

I recon I may have to take this to HR department with the other girls and get it sorted, my managers have had numerous meetings with people above them and had good tellings off for not running the department properly but if they only new all of it, it would be a different matter! Thanks for all your help xx

Go as a group, be organised, if you can take turns to speak on different issues to make sure EVERYTHING is covered and everyone is showing their involvement/ concerns over these issues. Make it clear to HR that you want the whole spa team there, and NOT either of your managers as you have serious issues to raise.

Request a copy of the hotel's standard employment contract before the meeting, and highlight each item that's not being adhered to- no notice of change of rotas, holidays being used, "If you don't like it, there's the door"(does that count as constructive dismissal?!), "don't you own a coat"- failure to provide correct work wear for a task so breaking health & safety at work act.
They might get you on the cleaning, leafleting, etc if there is a clause stating that you must carry out any "reasonable" other duties as part of your position, I'll be surprised if that one's not in there TBH.
They should really appreciate if you can put forwards suggestions, e.g. morale would be better if we do x.... customers would be happier if... our profile would be improved if... stock control would be better managed if....
So it sounds more constructive than having a rant and getting it all off your chest for things to continue exactly as is.

HTH

S xx

Thanks guys I will speak to the girls and see what they all say they've all said to me they hate walking into work knowing its going to be one of those days! Which I don't think we should feel like that other staff have commented how the girls used to be really happy when someone else was manager! So I think that says it all I will keep you all posted xx

There is a lot you mentioned that is going on which is clearly wrong, but what you have to provide and have is evidence. Start recording everything in a diary/log, collect as much evidence as you can, go into meetings as pairs, join a union, and lodge a greivance with your HR department. You will not get anywhere without clear evidence so if there is any paperowrk, emails etc you could get together to show what is happening this will stand you in good stead. Once you have this you will probably have a very good case for an industrial tribunal, if you feel you cannot work there due to the issues you could lodge for constructive dismissal (meaning you had to leave). You also sound as if you have grounds for breach of contract, call ACAS (they are on the web) for immediate advice and make an appointment with HR, good luck xx

Some good advice here and I just wanted to point out that all therapists are expected to clean. It is obvious that you have to be cleaning the treatment room after yourself. So I don't think this is something that your salon is doing wrong because others do the same. Although not really with the sauna and stuff, it's usually the gym staff that would clean there.

But it does sound like a bit of a nightmare. But tbh it's hard pushed to find salons that aren't like this. I bet everyone on here has worked in a few nightmare salons. That why we're all self employed haha!

Some good advice here and I just wanted to point out that all therapists are expected to clean. It is obvious that you have to be cleaning the treatment room after yourself. So I don't think this is something that your salon is doing wrong because others do the same. Although not really with the sauna and stuff, it's usually the gym staff that would clean there.

But it does sound like a bit of a nightmare. But tbh it's hard pushed to find salons that aren't like this. I bet everyone on here has worked in a few nightmare salons. That why we're all self employed haha!

Exactly thts why I want to be self employed lol maybe one day! I understand about cleaning I don't have a problem with it, it's the way we get spoken to like crap which is what I have a problem with, also cos it's a hotel we have cleaners hired to clean the spa it's because it was quiet and we had nothing to do he made us scrub the floor which we didn't have a problem with it was when he went its not good enough do it again!

Exactly thts why I want to be self employed lol maybe one day! I understand about cleaning I don't have a problem with it, it's the way we get spoken to like crap which is what I have a problem with, also cos it's a hotel we have cleaners hired to clean the spa it's because it was quiet and we had nothing to do he made us scrub the floor which we didn't have a problem with it was when he went its not good enough
do it again!

Oh I see, in the hotel spa I worked in we had no cleaners.

That's what to do, save and go self employed :) cz

Exactly thts why I want to be self employed lol maybe one day! I understand about cleaning I don't have a problem with it, it's the way we get spoken to like crap which is what I have a problem with, also cos it's a hotel we have cleaners hired to clean the spa it's because it was quiet and we had nothing to do he made us scrub the floor which we didn't have a problem with it was when he went its not good enough do it again!

he sounds so mean! but "what comes around goes around" so.........

Latest posts

Back