Razor cuts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aronne

Reaction score
hi everyone, does anyone do razor cuts?
reason why I ask is because clients in the last 2 days and asked if i did razor cuts and im like ABSOLUTELY!! those are my favourite haircuts to do! and they say that no one seems to do them, is it mainly because everyones too scared to do the razor cuts or something? i love the effect and how it thins and cuts at the same time :) my clientelle list is majorly from razor cuts as well. is it just me or yeah, are people scared of razor cuts?

Same thing happened to me.. I think a lot of hairdressers use blunt razors and split the hair.. Very annoying! But I love them!! Especially on guys

Same thing happened to me.. I think a lot of hairdressers use blunt razors and split the hair.. Very annoying! But I love them!! Especially on guys

yup same!! i love using them with all haircuts that will give an awesome effect, gives a more softer and edgier look, not everyone has them.

I was never taught to cut with a razor. I watched and watched the seniors during an apprentice and went home to practice on mum with some not great results. I would like to do a course in razor cutting. I can texturise with my razor but never got given the foundations for cutting with one. But with a pair of $1500 scissors I seem to manage with out my razor.
When clients ask if I cut with a razor I say no. But that I can achieve the same results with my scissors. It would be great to learn though.

I'm self taught.. Started off with just doing small sections of the hair then just got thrown in the deep end when one was booked in my column lol

I was taught to do them, but I've yet to do one on a paying client. They make me a little nervous, and I need to remind myself which hair types are suitable for it, and which are not.

I'm self taught.. Started off with just doing small sections of the hair then just got thrown in the deep end when one was booked in my column lol

im exactly the same, self taught with the razor, scissors do give some result, however you cannot beat the razor :)

When I was doing my apprenticeship I asked my boss why no one used a razor in the salon and she said it was "illegal" to use them on hair in Australia :O

I love razor cutting on gents who wear it longer as I find it layers and shapes the hair without it looking feminine xx

I LOVE my razor :) my best friend. Lol. I need a new blade though but debating whether to treat my self to a new one all together along with some new scissors (I wish I put it all on my Christmas list) xx

I use my Carving Comb all the time :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The reason a lot of stylists choose not to use a razor got cutting is because we want our clients back in the chair within 6 weeks. Proper razor cuts are done with straight edge blades (no guard) and need more than 6 weeks regrowth to cut again. Using guarded razors and carving combs is just shredding the hair on a microscopic level. Razor cut ends might look good for one or two cuts, but the split ends eventually will get ahead of trims, and at some point the client will be forced to chop inches of damaged hair.

The reason a lot of stylists choose not to use a razor got cutting is because we want our clients back in the chair within 6 weeks. Proper razor cuts are done with straight edge blades (no guard) and need more than 6 weeks regrowth to cut again. Using guarded razors and carving combs is just shredding the hair on a microscopic level. Razor cut ends might look good for one or two cuts, but the split ends eventually will get ahead of trims, and at some point the client will be forced to chop inches of damaged hair.

I have several client's whome I have been razor cutting every six weeks for 2 years. Maybe you should do a course to increase your ability and confidence if you are finding that your razor cutting ends up so bad?

If their hair is short I'm sure their shredded hair is fine. I actually studied with the razor masters, Arrojo, a Bumble and Bumble etc.. I'm quite adept in my razor skills, as well when to properly use the tool. I prefer cutting with architectural structure and then clean scissor texturizing. Keeps my clients from looking a mess on the streets when they style their own hair set home. ;)

If their hair is short I'm sure their shredded hair is fine. I actually studied with the razor masters, Arrojo, a Bumble and Bumble etc.. I'm quite adept in my razor skills, as well when to properly use the tool. I prefer cutting with architectural structure and then clean scissor texturizing. Keeps my clients from looking a mess on the streets when they style their own hair set home. ;)

I have my hair razor cut and its in fab condition and great shape ;)

I have my hair razor cut and its in fab condition and great shape ;)

Well done.

I like consistency in my hair cuts and feel a razor can sometimes be a bit disorientated no matter how neat you do it (obviously as it's free hand) I tend to use it for fringes or for feather the front of someone with thick hair or feathering hair extensions. I like it for reducing weight in clients hair but not to do a full hair cut :p

Sean Collins Hairdressing Glasgow

Latest posts

Back