Razoring the feet?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amerie43

Reaction score
A lot of my clients ask if I can razor thier feet. Oh course I tell them "No" but they ask why it is illegal if a new razor is used everytime and I dont know what to tell them. Is it really that bad to do besides it being risk for cuts?:smack:

They can cause infections ... they are way to harsh and there are much kinder and better ways to remove callous from the feet.

its illegal where i live. i dont even know why they sell them in stores. a couple of yrs ago, i was getting a pedi and thelasy beside me had razored her own foot and it looked like she'd taken a potato peeler to it. she had big stripes of skin gone (at least 3-4" long) all over her feet. the nail tech was horrified and made her go to the dr. i never knew was razors were until that moment and to this day i cannot figure out why anyone would use them

If you cut off skin your body will chuck it back at you twice as much! So the skin will grow back thicker.Its an awful way of removing skin i think! x

i actually used to do this to my hoofs, only because the skin gets sooooo thick it hurts, and using a razor blade to cut if off gave me instant relief, i now just use my rasp now, and by god when ive finished they feel soo much nicer than using the razorblade, plus i dont cut my hoofs to ribbons anymore :grin:

Yeah I dont get it myself. Sometime some of my clients have the worst calluses and dead skin and I know they are not satisfied with me just using the pumes stone but I dont know what else to do. I mean it is there job to take care of thier own feet and I tell them to get a stone of thier own and do it in the bath every day but I dont know what else I can do for them. The razor does make them look bad and I hear that I actually makes your feet hurt after wards....:irked:

I think a rasp is much better than a stone...and there are lotions that you can apply first to soften the skin and help to remove it.

I think a rasp is much better than a stone...and there are lotions that you can apply first to soften the skin and help to remove it.
WHn u say rasp do you mean the metal thingy with holes in it?????

Any impliment that shaves/cuts layers of skin clean off will have a negative effect. Primarily for two reasons.

1) The obvious risk of taking too much off, creating an open wound for infections.
2) A callus is actually a response by the body to defend against pressure. Cutting too much off in one go will cause the body to respond by building it back up quicker and thicker as obviously it didn't protect properly.

If removed slowly by gentle abrasion, it will make the body think it's unneeded and they won't return... Smooth, don't remove.

HTH

makes sense! Thanks Guys:green:

Stick to a callous remover product and a basic foot file. I think you can get amazing results with some of the callous remover gels out there. If I have a really "rough" client, I soak some cottons in the gel, apply to the hardened areas and wrap it up in some plastic for about 5 minutes, the callouses roll right off with a foot file! It really is amazing, don't forget to lay a towel or garbage can under to collect the nastys that come off. ick.

Shiloh

Stick to a callous remover product and a basic foot file. I think you can get amazing results with some of the callous remover gels out there. If I have a really "rough" client, I soak some cottons in the gel, apply to the hardened areas and wrap it up in some plastic for about 5 minutes, the callouses roll right off with a foot file! It really is amazing, don't forget to lay a towel or garbage can under to collect the nastys that come off. ick.

Shiloh

unfortunately callous removers dont work quick enought for ME. i have feet that a camel would be proud to have, so have to do things that work FOR ME

In addition to what has been said above you can see it as an excellent retail opportunity. If they use a good moisturiser daily then then the hard skin won't come back. I do find it funny how some clients go so long between pedicures and then expect us to be able to remove months of hard skin build up in an hour! If they really want to have it bladed off then they need to see a podiatrist who has had extensive training to use these tools ... and even then I've heard horror stories of how clients have been cut to shreds.

As Alan says - pedicurists smooth, podiatrists remove!

Shiloh

hi shiloh...what brand of callous remover do you use?

Their is this off-brand called Be Natural Callous Eliminator. It really does work wonders, I have seen skin litterally gum up and roll right off the foot. Get the orange scented one, it's worth it; and don't get your nose too close, when that skin comes off, it stinks something terrible. peeewwww

In Washington State they have outlawed blades and metal rasps, everyone is stuck finding alternatives; I'm glad, because I'd never use a cheese grater on my client in the first place.

Shiloh

I am a runner, and my feet get really torn up and callused.
I use a pumice every time I shower, and that keeps them from getting really bad. If I get lazy about it, the build up, especially on the outer edge of my heels is just awful.

My first "formal" work as a tech was at a Day Spa located inside a Athletic Club, I have seen the "runners" foot before, it really is a battle. Keep up with the pumice, or try a fool file (I worry about cleanliness and disinfection abilities with pumice). Make sure you're getting pedis often to get a professional start. but remind you pedicurist that you're a runner, you don't want to take too much of that protective callous away.:)

Shiloh

thank you! that callous remover is the bomb!! it makes life sooo much easier..you were right..the callous just rolls off!

I'm sooo glad you checked it out! I would've never really believed it until I saw it. I could never do a pedi without it by my side. This will make you're life so much easier, you'll find that you'll gain clients for life, just off of this product.

Yea!

Shiloh

Its important to remember some callous have a job to do.. attacking the foot of someone with a razor when they use their feet daily is just plain wrong.. imo of course.. i have a brickie who wears steel toe boots and he has a few that if were removed would make it near impossible to spend 12 hours in those boots.

always remember to ask what the lifestyles are of the client before removing any callous's from feet.

Latest posts

Back