Re-applying tape in extensions - which tape to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalonWingman

Reaction score
Hey geeks...!

Just after some info really on re-applying tape in extensions - do you try and clean the old tape from the hair? If so have you any tips or tricks to get it done both quickly and cleanly?

Also any direction as to which tape is best to re-apply the extension?

Thanks as always :)

Balmain tape is really good, I think there is 20 pieces per package.

Hello! I love tape extensions and they are one of our favorite at the salon. It is advised to always remove the tape before putting on new ones, especially if they have been colored or washed in between. You can apply tape on top of the other tape if its dry and not any products on the tape but I would not risk it so it is better to always remove.

If you use a good remover that has some oils in it its usually quite easy to then just peel off the tape (just be careful to not pull too hard as sometimes this can cause the whole extensions to break in two pieces at the thin part). Bad removers leave the glue very sticky and leaves a residue on the hair. We tend to use one that has natural oils and moisturizers such as: glycerin, argan oil, citrus oils, coconut oils etc. You can make your own by combining ingredients such as this.

Oh, I'll have to give those a try next...I use their remover gun for bonds and it's been brilliant - I used to to have cold sweats at the mere thought of bond removals until that purchase.

Hi

This is my system and it works really well for me, helps me keep everything organised and it's mess and fuss free - hope there's some info' in here which helps you out a bit :).....Before I remove a tape fitting - In advance I label/number small plastic bags for each row (I just use generic plastic sandwich bags for this) and I remove one layer at a time and deposit each row of tapes into it's own labelled bag (this helps when refitting the hair to make sure the layers all go back in the same order and that the hair will retain the correct shape from the previous blending/cutting of the extensions from the original fitting).

When removing the tape wefts from the hair I don't use an oil based remover as I find it too messy and gloopy to work with, instead I just use Isopropyl alcohol remover spray (at the moment I'm using Studio 58's Italian Keratin remover spray which is 100% Isopropyl alcohol) - they remove without any problems but with a little tape residue still left on them. I remove all the tapes from the client one layer at a time putting each tape into it's appropriate layer bag. After cleaning the client's natural hair, I go back to the wefts and spray a bit more of the alcohol remover on the tape tab section of each weft and find with a little rubbing any leftover old tape residue then comes off really quickly and easily (I make sure all the old tape residue is removed completely so there's a nice clean flat surface for the new tape to adhere to). I work like this one layer bag at a time removing the tape residue from all the wefts. I like the fact the alcohol remover just evaporates and dries meaning I can retape the wefts straight away, if I want to, without it being absolutely necessary to have to wash the tape wefts before retaping.

When I retape I use a roll tape - and roll out about enough length of tape (still attached to the roll) for about 6 or 7 wefts and stick these side by side on the rolled out section of tape in one go. I snip off the end of the roll tape then and then snip each weft off. Again I work one layer bag at a time keeping every layer in it's own bag to make the following refit organised and easy.

In total it takes me about an hour to 1.5 hours to remove all the old tape residue and then to retape all the wefts again (this time is based on a full standard head of wefts).
Hi I'm thinking of adding tape hair to my services .. ( I have done bonded for many years )and will send of to get a sample packet to play around with first .. I was just a little concerned about removal .. Does the tape come away fairly easy when it's soaked in solution for some time ? How long do you leave it to soak for ? And can you recommend a supplier who's reasonable ? I've heard sjk are pretty good ..

Em X

Last edited:
Hi Emsiee

With the Isopropyl alcohol remover solution I find the removal really easy – no soaking required - I just spray (a couple of blasts) the top of the tape weft adhesive section (trying to aim down inbetween the sandwiched wefts to target the adhesive) then simply rub the two sandwiched wefts together. I've found this is always enough to release their grip. Any tape adhesive that may be left in the hair just gets another spray on the hair and a comb through to get rid of any residual debris, then a wash with clarifying shampoo at the end.

You'll see for yourself when you get your samples (and when you do the training) how easy the removal is (and how quick!). Perhaps a thought would be for you to try both an alcohol spray and also an oil based remover (for eg, C22 remover) and see which one you get on with the best. Personally like I mentioned above I much prefer the fuss free clean removal I achieve with the alcohol remover but you may prefer one which is oil based.

I love tapes now they are so quick and easy to install and remove (in comparison to the bonded fusion I also offer). I do remember the first removal/retaping being a nightmare – to the point I actually reconsidered offering them but that was down to my inexperience. I was clarted up to the eyeballs in bits of the old sticky tape trying to remove all the bits off the wefts before I could retape. God knows what I was doing then because it's a breeze now.

Best Suppliers? Well that's something I'm constantly still searching for myself especially with the tapes. So many suppliers offer tapes in just 18 inch lengths and if they offer premium hair type ranges for other application methods they often overlook offering these in tapes, for example, trying to find double drawn and premium quality (i.e Slavic Russian) in tapes has been like trying to find hen's teeth. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know I'm always searching :)

Re' SJK – I've never used them – so I can't comment on their quality – I've read the good and the bad about so many suppliers and they were definitely no exception ......If you just want to practice with a few tapes for now before going on a tape course, you could try Angel Remy as a supplier as they offer their tapes in packs of 10 (as far as I'm aware). I can't personally say what the hair is like in terms of quality and longevity as I haven't used it but I'm sure this will work out much cheaper for you for practice purposes (as I've found a lot of suppliers standard pack sizes for tapes are 20 – 25 tapes per pack). :)

Thank you glory locks that's given me peace of mind , yes it seems a shame you can't find higher quality hair but my guess is as these become more popular someone will see a gap in the market .. Ahhh imagine them in a quality Russian hair .. They'd last forever ! Yes I've already had a look at Angel remy but they seem very limited when it comes to colour .. I looked last night and couldn't even find your base colours or any blondes which was disappointing but I'll keep searching .. I'm surprised we would have to do another course to fit these, is that just for insurance purposes? any suggestions I'll look into it ?

Thanks
Em X

Yes I'm trained in a similar technique called M-folds but they are much smaller strands 0.6 but the same sort of principle .. They are also tape, I'll call Babtac and ask if that would cover me or if I would still need to do another course .. Thanks for the reply

Em X

haha I didn't realise you were trained in these...I've just seen the ones you mention - curious to know if they would need you to retrain or not as they look so similar, just smaller. I can't imagine why you would need to retrain though, but always worth checking :)

Hi,
I read that people use an alcohol\isopropyl liquid to clean the tape\glue off hair extensions. Can anyone confirm this for me please? Having a slight problem where re-applied hair extensions are coming out which is becoming a real pain.

Thanks

Hi,
I read that people use an alcohol\isopropyl liquid to clean the tape\glue off hair extensions. Can anyone confirm this for me please? Having a slight problem where re-applied hair extensions are coming out which is becoming a real pain.

Thanks

I use c-22 remover and Walker tape x

Just looking at Walker tape - we're based in the UK is there a UK supplier please?

Latest posts

Back