Re-doing bleach roots on extra short hair, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissSB

Reaction score
I had a client in (not mine, so not really sure why I was colouring her hair) as bleach on the scalp and toning are not my strongest area.

I started at the back, its very short so had to apply all over the hair in this area, worked upto the sides and top, doing the tiny mid-lengths and ends, then went back to the root area and hairline. I used Igora Bleach and 20vol, measured out correctly, plastic cap, after 50/55 minutes, I rinsed, shampooed in Fudge purple shampoo but her hair had a yellow cast at the back so the toner didn't take great. Which i knew it wouldn't but yes I still did it 🤦🏼‍♀️

My question is after 50-55mins, why was it still yellowish at the back, even though thats where I started the application? (Again not my strongest area) and if I have to re bleach this area, how long do I leave the bleach on? Or would you just watch it? Thanks in advance 🙈

When I do scalp bleaches, I always take very fine section - thin enough that you could read a newspaper print through it. Make sure you're saturating the hair. I usually leave it for 15-20 mins and then go back through and reapply (mix a fresh batch) to any sections that have started to dry out or look like they're struggling to lift.
If you come across this again. It's usually a sensible move to use a lower developer if you need to do a 2nd application. Only because the scalp will already be sensitive. Second applications are generally developed visually but never exceed the maximum development time. Hope this helps :)

When I do scalp bleaches, I always take very fine secretion - thin enough that you could read a newspaper print through it. Make sure you're saturating the hair. I usually leave it for 15-20 mins and then go back through and reapply (mix a fresh batch) to any sections that have started to dry out or look like they're struggling to lift.
If you come across this again. It's usually a sensible move to use a lower developer if you need to do a 2nd application. Only because the scalp will already be sensitive. Second applications are generally developed visually but never exceed the maximum development time. Hope this helps :)
Thank you for this 👍

The first thing that springs to mind for me is that those short areas can be really prone to drying out quickly, so reapplying as suggested above is key to keep the product working and get a lovely lift. This always happens with my own hair, I reapply about 3 or 4 times x

The first thing that springs to mind for me is that those short areas can be really prone to drying out quickly, so reapplying as suggested above is key to keep the product working and get a lovely lift. This always happens with my own hair, I reapply about 3 or 4 times x
Thank you 👍

Latest posts

Back