Re: maternity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*beauty_queen*

Reaction score
Hi all,

My partner and i have decided its time to start a family which were both very excited about however i have a couple of worries with... You guessed it WORK😔💤 the job im currently at i love and built up a great clientel however my boss is constantly nagging at the min when we have quiet spells in the salon (which is normal due to the time of year right?? And to mention its only a year and half old buisness!!) and as soon as we do she starts dropping hints like its pointless and as if the buisness will get shut down! Im worried that if i fell pregnant now id be left without a job after the baby would be born!! I would happily return to work after 4 months (we would have childcare and partners hours would suit the baby obvs) would i be able to strt lookimg for new work whilst on maternity to then hopefully start a new job after the 4 months? I need help im getting stressed now 😔

Hi all,

My partner and i have decided its time to start a family which were both very excited about however i have a couple of worries with... You guessed it WORK😔💤 the job im currently at i love and built up a great clientel however my boss is constantly nagging at the min when we have quiet spells in the salon (which is normal due to the time of year right?? And to mention its only a year and half old buisness!!) and as soon as we do she starts dropping hints like its pointless and as if the buisness will get shut down! Im worried that if i fell pregnant now id be left without a job after the baby would be born!! I would happily return to work after 4 months (we would have childcare and partners hours would suit the baby obvs) would i be able to strt lookimg for new work whilst on maternity to then hopefully start a new job after the 4 months? I need help im getting stressed now 😔

Surely your in contract? So worse comes to worse even if the business went insolvent or closed you would be protected financially even if you had to wait a while for the money.

Also you would be entitled to maternity allowance from dwp if you have previously worked for 13 or more weeks in the last 60! You can get it for up to 39 weeks. And in the meantime could find a new job!?!
Find out what your contract says....

Yep im in a contract but i thought you didnt get paid off unless you had been working for the employer for 2 years or am i wrong? Thanks for your reply reassured me a little 😊x

Yep im in a contract but i thought you didnt get paid off unless you had been working for the employer for 2 years or am i wrong? Thanks for your reply reassured me a little 😊x

I'm not entirely sure about the length of time but my friend got money when her work went under and she hadn't been there two years! It took ages to go through insolvency and to actually get the money though! Maybe have a frank convo with your boss about the business and how well it's doing?

It purely depends on how much you earn a week. .if I remember correctly if you earn less than £108
per week then you fill out a SMP1 form and claim maternity pay straight through the Government. Above this the employer has to pay. Anyone that has a business knows that this can cripple you in minutes, but in all honesty you know this before you take the business on, its not for the employer to be disrespectful to the therapist because they want to start a family. I believe you have to work for the employer so many weeks before you are entitled to be paid maternity pay by them. These guidelines are set out on the HMRC.gov.uk website and you should read up on them to what you are entitled to. Don't wait for your employer to tell you.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's for redundancy.

It purely depends on how much you earn a week. .if I remember correctly if you earn less than £108
per week then you fill out a SMP1 form and claim maternity pay straight through the Government. Above this the employer has to pay. Anyone that has a business knows that this can cripple you in minutes, but in all honesty you know this before you take the business on, its not for the employer to be disrespectful to the therapist because they want to start a family. I believe you have to work for the employer so many weeks before you are entitled to be paid maternity pay by them. These guidelines are set out on the HMRC.gov.uk website and you should read up on them to what you are entitled to. Don't wait for your employer to tell you.

Yeah, it's that you have to of worked continuously for 26 full weeks by the 15th week before your baby's due!
See

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/...nity/statutory-maternity-pay-smp/eligibility/

I agree I would find all this out and more before making a little bundle of joy just so your not stressed throughout your pregnancy etc.

Yeah, it's that you have to of worked continuously for 26 full weeks by the 15th week before your baby's due!
See

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/...nity/statutory-maternity-pay-smp/eligibility/

I agree I would find all this out and more before making a little bundle of joy just so your not stressed throughout your pregnancy etc.

Yes that's it. . Thanks H.. I was just trying to remember off the top of my head. .nearly right with the minimum earning rule it is £109 a week. .

Yes that's it. . Thanks H.. I was just trying to remember off the top of my head. .nearly right with the minimum earning rule it is £109 a week. .

Teamwork!
So basically you only have to work there a week and not be pregnant to qualify!

I would still think carefully though if the business is on the rocks although there is a safety net maybe it's time to start looking elsewhere!

Teamwork!
So basically you only have to work there a week and not be pregnant to qualify!

I would still think carefully though if the business is on the rocks although there is a safety net maybe it's time to start looking elsewhere!

No business owner would generally tell you if the business was going down the pan or equally if they make a handsome profit or if it was up for sale. It causes too much upset with the staff. Just because you leave there and get employed somewhere else doesn't guarantee that you are safe. ..you could be told a month later that the salon you have just arrived at will be closing. It is very common.

No business owner would generally tell you if the business was going down the pan or equally if they make a handsome profit or if it was up for sale. It causes too much upset with the staff. Just because you leave there and get employed somewhere else doesn't guarantee that you are safe. ..you could be told a month later that the salon you have just arrived at will be closing. It is very common.

Well generally anyone working for a small company is taking a risk at any point!

Ifit's going down the pan then it just is.... Makes little difference to the amount of risk your jobs in if you get pregnant or not really.

Well generally anyone working for a small company is taking a risk at any point!

Ifit's going down the pan then it just is.... Makes little difference to the amount of risk your jobs in if you get pregnant or not really.

Ha ha lovely lady. .don't just condemn small companies. . Look at any of the banks, large building firms, DVLA insurance companies. ..they are making thousands redundant daily. . Look at comet, woolworths, the big post offices. .. disappeared off the radar. .

Ha ha lovely lady. .don't just condemn small companies. . Look at any of the banks, large building firms, DVLA insurance companies. ..they are making thousands redundant daily. . Look at comet, woolworths, the big post offices. .. disappeared off the radar. .

Yeah I guess no one is safe in this current climate. I work for a very small company and often worry about my job security but I much prefer it to working for these giant bureaucratic companies so I stick it out!

Sorry I know il be entitled to maternity pay either way i was just wonderin if the buisness went under while i was on leave would i still be entitled to the pay and then a pay off? Ive been working for them for 19 and half months x

Sorry I know il be entitled to maternity pay either way i was just wonderin if the buisness went under while i was on leave would i still be entitled to the pay and then a pay off? Ive been

If they gone under because, if presume they wouldn't have much big any money so I doubt you'd get it straight away. But you may be entitled to take the to court and get it or something like that.

Maybe popping to citizens advice bureau might help clarify a few things :)

Jemima :)

Hi,

Maternity pay isn't actually paid to you by your company, they are just the middle man. It comes from the government so if you have been paying your national insurance you should get it regardless. If you are still employed it will be smp and that will still get paid to you if the company goes under but it will prob be in a lump sum and may take a bit more time to get sorted.

Self employed people get MA and again as long as you've been paying your NI you are entitled to something.

Call the job centre to find out more info Hun as they are the ones that deal with it all and will be able to answer any queries.

Hope you get it sorted xx

Hi,

Maternity pay isn't actually paid to you by your company, they are just the middle man. It comes from the government so if you have been paying your national insurance you should get it regardless. If you are still employed it will be smp and that will still get paid to you if the company goes under but it will prob be in a lump sum and may take a bit more time to get sorted.

Self employed people get MA and again as long as you've been paying your NI you are entitled to something.

Call the job centre to find out more info Hun as they are the ones that deal with it all and will be able to answer any queries.

Hope you get it sorted xx

My employer defo pays some of the maternity. I thought It was only smp they get back which is some things like £137 per week? Yet my maternity is full pay for 26 weeks. I'm pretty sure the employer makes up the rest which is why employees taking maternity leave can be a financial blow to a small busines.

I got MA when I had my baby last year even though I was unemployed! I moved from income support when I was 27 weeks pregnant or something and got it for 39 full week, I had to prove I was previously working the year before by sending in 13 weeks wage slips to qualify.

Most small employers won't pay any more than smp.

I worked for 2 different people when I had my first 2 and only got the basic smp.

I had to get ma for my third.

Jemima :)

Latest posts

Back