Re-training in beauty therapy in mid 30s

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyemma

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 36 with 2 young children and wanting a career change where I can run my own business. Beauty therapy has appealed to me in the past and I'm now seriously considering it.

My question is, what's the best way for me to train? College isn't an option for me as there are no part time courses locally, I work 3 days a week and will continue to do so until I am making enough to leave my job. Also I don't want to take a year to train. I'd like to start taking paying clients as soon as possible.

There are several short courses, diplomas, even NVQs locally which can be done at weekends or on an ad hoc basis. These appeal to me because they are convenient and accessible, I can pay as I go and start taking clients as I get the skills. My understanding is that they are lacking in practical opportunities. This doesn't put me off, I am hard working, I will research around the subject and practice as much as I can outside ... any advice on how to go about getting practice in this situation? Would you offer free or reduced price treatments while you gain confidence? Or is that a no no? And I've heard if a website called salonguineapig, could I use that? Or Facebook even?

Any advice or thoughts on training, becoming competent and starting a beauty business would be much appreciated. I'm looking to work mobile initially I think, then hire a room or work from home. I'd like to start with things like waxing, nails, eyelash extensions, tanning, facials etc and eventually offer massage as well.

Thanks in advance:)

Which area are you in?

My best tip would be to train in 1 or 2 treatments at first, start getting some clients and getting some money in, and then gradually offer more treatments as you do more training. I know so many people who have invested a fortune in training, stock, kit and equipment, and then it didn't work out and they had to sell the whole lot a year later. Not saying it won't work out for you, but I think it's better to dip your toe in the water first, rather than sinking thousands of pounds into it first. Perhaps start with treatments you already feel confident about, or what you think there would be most demand for in your area (waxing and nails are usually the top!) x

If you're determined and hard working, you will be ok. I did a 10 month fast track course with The Training Rooms, instead of the usual 2 year collage course. I'm 31 and knew that it would be difficult whilst working in my office job but it was something I really wanted to do, so i made it work and I put in the hours!

In order for me to become the best therapist that I could be, I would spend a lot of time researching, reading books, watching videos on youtube (some are rubbish but some are amazingly helpful), I would practice on friends and family for free - who doesn't want a free manicure or free facial?! ...even if they didn't want one, I'd still ask them to help me out - most people won't say no. There were many a time I would paint my husbands nails and wax him. He hated it but he knew it helped me :D

Ultimately I wanted to work for myself (I now work from home), but once I qualified I decided to work in a busy spa. This was the best decision I ever made. Yes I was paid minimum wage and the work was relentless, but what I learnt was invaluable. Don't underestimate what you will learn from other therapists and other businesses. I qualified with the highest grades in my class and I thought I knew it all ....I didn't!!!

A lot of clients will ask where you worked before starting your own business so it's also good to be able to say that you worked at such and such, this gives them confidence in you.

I'm glad that I did the full Level 2 & 3 full course, as it was cheaper than doing individual short courses. Also, if you did want to work in a salon or spa for experience, they will only employ you if you're level 2 or 3 qualified. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back