Reaction to hair colours help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twixabix

Reaction score
Hi hair people hope someone can help. I had a new client call me today who was recommend to me. I'm doing a colour consultation on her tomorrow and I need some help, she told me that she has a high lift tint normally but she has started to have a reaction to it [emoji21] she said she has been having wella hi lift, so I'm a bit worried and don't know what to suggest. Does anyone know of any hi lift tint that I might be able to use ? as far as I'm concerned if she has had a reaction with one tint they will all be the same. My head is telling me to politely tell her there is nothing I can do but I really don't want to turn away the businesses.

I think wella do a range called innosence that they say doesn't require a skin test. Not sure if they have hi-lifts though. I know of people that are sensitive to Goldwell but not l'oreal & vice versa so it is worth testing with different brands.

Well you need to allergy test her...

If she is allergic there are other products out there that have had the main chemical that causes reaction removed. I used keune tonight on a first time client that normally itches and gets a burning sensation with colour and has had a reaction to a chemical straighten at another salon I did a skin test no reaction checked with her throughout if there was any tingling and she said nope it was her first time without discomfort if she had had a reaction then I would have tested another brand just do some research on it x

She could have developed scalp sensitivity to the high volume developer that you normally use with a highlift tint?

I'd test with a tint and depending on results, also consider recommending bleach plus low vol developer.

Yes you would need to do a scalp sensitivity test, and even so I would recommend staying 1/4 inch away from the scalp. You could try bleach instead of high lift. People often think that bleach is harsher, but different products react in different ways. High-lift color is a color and bleach combined, most brands will contain ammonia to open the hair shaft and colorants which are basically PPD's. The good thing about bleach is that it contains neither! Might be worth a try...

Yes ! Foils is a great idea,
Best,
Sally

As cam said skin test is a must to find out if the reaction is an allergic one or an irritant. Most colours that don't contain PPD will contain PTD and if you react to PPD it's highly likely you will react to PTD too. Highlifts contain very little so maybe it is just an irritation, if so you could foil with low level dev and bleach then break the base that way she's still getting lift but not having to sit with the colour on her scalp for 45mins.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

As cam said skin test is a must to find out if the reaction is an allergic one or an irritant. Most colours that don't contain PPD will contain PTD and if you react to PPD it's highly likely you will react to PTD too. Highlifts contain very little so maybe it is just an irritation, if so you could foil with low level dev and bleach then break the base that way she's still getting lift but not having to sit with the colour on her scalp for 45mins.
So I've done the skin test. One side I used Loreal high lift and the other was base 9 as she is white around the hairline and darker at the back. Hence the high lift. The high lift had a bad reaction but the tint didn't, so I'm thinking to use tint on the hairline and bleach with a low peroxide at the back, I have olaplex as well so although she was a bit concerned using bleach I have assured her with olaplex it will be fine. She is also happy to sign a disclaimer. Do we think this is the right way to go geeks ?

I don't think disclaimers really stand for much, so from the tests you know she's not allergic to PPD, what was the reaction to the highlift? Was it pretty much instant? Or did she have a reaction to it hours later? I think it would be fine to proceed as planned with tint and bleach in packets. If she's been irritated by highlift tint she may be irritated to bleach on the scalp too.

Oh yes didn't think of that. Like you say it's an irritant reaction as opposed to PPD. She said the hi lift started itching almost immediately. [emoji34]
Not sure if doing it in foils will be what she's going to be happy with. Not sure what to do now

Latest posts

Back