Reaction to hair dye

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstys beauty

We put the treat in your treatment.
Reaction score
Popping over from skin geeks. Just wondering if you can help a friend of mine, she has her hair highlighted with foils but has developed a reaction where her eyes swell and her neck starts to itch(she has be come allergic since having her second child) She has ruled everything else out. However she would still like her hair done is there a dye that she should could ask her hairdresser to use, or could she buy one that she found on the web that says it is used for allergic suffers and get her hairdresser to apply.

Kirsty

If she has foils then the colour shouldn't touch her scalp, (sometimes a little bit can) but I don't think it could be from having foils done, do they put a toner on afterwards do you know? X

I don't know could that be what's causing it.

Well when we apply a toner sometimes we apply it on the roots so it can touch the scalp. Has shr phoned the salon and spoke to her stylist about it? Maybe she could suggest some ideas x

Yeah her hairdresser has just said that it can't be the hair dye it must be something else.

How many times has this happen ,is it alway the same place in her body :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I'm taking it that the salon has done a skin test after she has spoken to them to rule it out? If not then they can't say its not the colour. There are some out there that are ppd free, but personally I wouldn't use a colour someone brought me because I wouldn't know the it's as outs of the range,
Couldn't guarantee the results and if something were to go wrong and a toner was needed i would have to let them go looking a hot mess.

If it were bleach used there is no way to react as such,
Only stinging and burning if it were used without a toner.

I have a girl who's allergic to everything with dark colours, clothes have to be washed a few times before wearing etc...

Allergies can come at any time and without warning. It may be wise that your friend visits the doctor for an allergy test to be performed as well as skin tested to rule out any possible cause of the reaction. Xoxo

Hi Kirsty,

It's quite possible the hair tint might have caused a reaction unless they only use bleach.

A reaction can occur on any part of the body so it's not always obvious what has caused it.

If they use a high lift tint or a toner afterwards then they should routinely skin test her 48 hours beforehand. Even using foils, some tint is likely to go onto the skin somewhere, even a tiny amount can cause harm if someone is allergic.

If it is the tint and they don't routinely skin test, the salon will be liable. There's no excuse for salons not to test these days.

She may be allergic to a specific chemical in the tint they use and MAY be ok with other brands but as she's had a reaction, she must ask for a skin test before trying any other brand. Shop bought tints contain higher concentrations of some chemicals, and she should avoid them.

How many times has this happen ,is it alway the same place in her body :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

She said last night that it has happened the last three time she has had her hair done. Not sure if they have patch test her.
Thanks for all your help will pass the info on to her tonight when I see her.

Kirsty

Latest posts

Back