Reaction to L & P (client due this morning...advice pls)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAOH

jog jog jogging
Reaction score
I have a client who normally had gel nails but recently I changed over to L &P in a desperate bid to try and keep them on her:rolleyes:

She mentioned a couple of months ago that her skin was splitting under her nail on a couple of fingers. Naturally this was very sore, but she wrecks her nails and hands (constantly cleaning.....always in water or rubber gloves, no cuticle oil, won't buy a hand cream I rec...) This got worse, so I soaked off the acrylic, believing she's had a reaction to acrylic.

She is due this morning wanting her nails done again, which I don't want to do. Even if I got her to sign a disclaimer, she will still blame me if her nails flare up again:rolleyes: and it has taken weeks for her skin to slowly heal.

The point of this thread and my rambling is, if you have a reaction to the product and the product is removed, how long will it take to get better. Her thumb is still split and sore (her words, will see later for myself). Surely, if it was a reaction to acrylic and she hasn't been wearing it for a month or so, her skin would be healing? The fact her skin is still sore, could it mean she is using something else at home that is causing the reaction??

I haven't experience this with any other client before. Any thoughts/ help would be appreciated.

The most commen sign of over exposure to a product is skin irritation ie- redness and itchyness on the surounding soft tissue.

An allergic reaction involves soft tissue breakout ie- water blisters and rashes or open sores.

For your client to get an allergic reaction to the product, she would have to have been over exposed to it for some time and would then be permenatly sensetive to the product.

It sounds as though she has in fact got another skin condition, perhaps contact dermatitis, I would advise her to see her GP.

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unaturale/5131-alice-allergen.html
Would she not be interested in weekly manicures once her hands are healed?
How bad is the rash? Has she seen her gp?
Sorry...so many questions x

Thanks Judy for the link.

The skin only splits under the nail. The cuticle area and rest of her hand is fine.

No she hasn't seen her gp, though I did tell her too:rolleyes: This is what is so frustrating.....you advise someone to do something and they ignore you. Also when the skin started to flare up, she then decided to mention that she had experineced some itching for a little while, but she never mentioned anything.

A manicure is the only thing I feel happy to perform.:cry:

brisa gel is hypoallergenic...perhaps try this?

The most commen sign of over exposure to a product is skin irritation ie- redness and itchyness on the surounding soft tissue.

An allergic reaction involves soft tissue breakout ie- water blisters and rashes or open sores.

For your client to get an allergic reaction to the product, she would have to have been over exposed to it for some time and would then be permenatly sensetive to the product.

It sounds as though she has in fact got another skin condition, perhaps contact dermatitis, I would advise her to see her GP.

Thanks Jacqui. She'll probably ignore everthing I suggest, but I will re-send her to gp.

Sounds like shes splitting the hyponychium away from the FE, I used to do it, yes I admit, I was OC about cleaning under my nails with a pick, I still catch my self doing it to this day.. BUT I also find if I knock one of my nails hard, square on, the hyponychium seal will split.. it hurts like buggary yes (i actually glue them back down with a tiny bit of gel bond its too painful other wise) but it happens.. perhaps shes over cleaning the underside of her nails, thus splitting the hyponychium. Just a thought.

Sounds like shes splitting the hyponychium away from the FE, I used to do it, yes I admit, I was OC about cleaning under my nails with a pick, I still catch my self doing it to this day.. BUT I also find if I knock one of my nails hard, square on, the hyponychium seal will split.. it hurts like buggary yes (i actually glue them back down with a tiny bit of gel bond its too painful other wise) but it happens.. perhaps shes over cleaning the underside of her nails, thus splitting the hyponychium. Just a thought.
Good thinking:) maybe she has an overgrown hyponychium which can cause splitting as it is pulled along as the nail grows, if it is you can ease it back with some cuticle remover and a cotton bud, then rinse and apply solar oil.

Thank you everyone for your input...it is very much appreciated.:hug:

Yesterday's appointment went very well in the end. She still hasn't been to see her gp since her last appointment, so I advised that I wasn't prepared to do enhancements (to be on the safe side, plus she trashes them:rolleyes:). So we ended up with a Spa Manicure and french enamel.

As I hoped, she was pleasantly surprised that her natural nails could look good.

Thank you again everyone for your input......lets hope this is the first of many customers who can be swayed to try natural nail care!!!!

Latest posts

Back