Reaction to patch test

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salj

Reaction score
Hey hair geeks, just after a bit of advice about colouring.

My friend had booked me into the salon she goes to for a t-section of highlights tomorrow but I’ve had a reaction to the patch test they did last night (it is red and a bit sore/weepy in the area they put the tint). So obviously the salon won’t do the colour (and I wouldn’t have it anyway), which I understand because I I wouldn’t tint anyone's brows/lashes that had had a reaction.

They use L’oreal which to be honest I wasn't that happy to have anyway. So my question is, there is a paul mitchell salon near my house and I was thinking of talking to them.. but should I wait til the redness/reaction has gone before I ask them to patch test me with their colour? Or is it just likely to happen with any colour now.

It’s so odd, I’ve been colouring my hair for 20 years and never had a reaction. I am so surprised that one has developed after all this time, just shows doesn’t it!! :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
x

I would wait till the reaction has calmed down. I had my first reaction in 20 years a few months ago. It was horrible! I waited a while, then had two more tests just to make sure I wasn't going to react before I coloured it again. Sometimes it can mean you will react from now on, but it may be a one off. Better safe than sorry.x

I would wait till the reaction has calmed down. I had my first reaction in 20 years a few months ago. It was horrible! I waited a while, then had two more tests just to make sure I wasn't going to react before I coloured it again. Sometimes it can mean you will react from now on, but it may be a one off. Better safe than sorry.x
thank you for replying, much appreciated. I will wait til it has gone. It's got really sore and a bit crusty behind the ear now (haha nice).

I remember my friend telling me years ago that she always reacts to patch tests but just lies to the salons and goes ahead with the dye anyway. I only have a teeny patch of soreness, can't imagine what it'd feel like all over my head!! (I did tell her she's an idiot by the way!)

Definitely an idiot! It's so not worth the risk!x

My only word of warning would be that alot of manufacturers state that hair should not be coloured if the customer has ever had an allergic reaction to a patch test. This is because if an allergy has developed then even a patch test can be dangerous. I would speak to several salons/ stylists in your area and ask them for advice. It's such a minefield that it's very hard for us to advise you on here.
Kev

Latest posts

Back