Reaction to Shellac nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sulliey

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help - I know I have a reaction to Acrylic nails - My skins gets itches and gets tiny blood blisters which then dry up and my dkin falls off - really actractive - not! Hence I don;t have them - have tried Gel nails and get a similar rection but not as strong. So don't have them either. The mani place I go to suggested I try Shelac - so they put it on my little finger and all was oK for about 18 hours and then the itches started but only very mild. Then a few hours later the swelling started, so I soaked off the nail. However the reaction is getting stronger even though no nail on - It is now 36 hours since I soaked the nail off and the swelling, itching and small blood blisters have spread to my ring finger and the next one. I have also developed pins and needles like feeling in the 3 fingers - any ideas what is causing it and more inportantly how to fix it - Thanks

Have you actually been for allergy teasing at your doctors? You could be allergic to any of the products, including prep and remove products you won't know for sure till you go get tested t the doctors. And they can prescribe treatment to soothe and repair hopefully.

Also are you absolute,y sure that the salon you went to did the full 100% shellac service including correct lamp? If not you'd be exposed to uncured product xx

HI

Thanks for that I think I will have to go for alergy testing. yeah lamp curing Ok (and this is a different salon to the one used previously).

What did you remove the Shellac with? It is also weird that the reaction is spreading as your fingers are not in contact any longer with Shellac or Acetone and most allergies need contact and only erupt where there was contact not spreading to other areas. I'm presuming that the technician did not put Shellac on your skin but only on the nail?

Seems to me that Acetone might be the culprit here and there is Acetone in the CND dehydrator and the remover so this could make sense. I would get tested for Acetone first.
Meanwhile, I would get an antihistamine cream and take an antihistamine tablet to help with the itching.
Pretty miserable for you and my advice would be to stay away from nail products if you react this badly (and the reaction will only get worse each time you come into contact with whatever allergen is bothering you... there are hundreds of chemicals used in nail products and it could be any one of them or more than one of them causing your reaction.

Wow never thought of being alergic to Acetone - but I did use it to remove the Shellac. yeah have got myself antihistamines and cream. Plus Elemis SOS cream is a lifesafer - use it for cuts etc and heals really quickly.
Will let you know how I get on with tests

Latest posts

Back