Reaction to tint, advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
Hi All

Just as the title says, I have had a client take a reaction to her eyebrow tint. She is a fairly new client (about 6 months ish) I have only tinted her eyebrows about 4 or 5 times.

She asked me to do them one time on her regular 3/4 weekly lash infill appointment and I refused, explained she needed a patch test, done the patch test, no reaction and have been doing them ever since every 3/4 weeks. So I done them as normal yesterday and she called me this afternoon to say the skin underneath her hair on the brows was hot, itchy and sore. I dont understand it, I did not do anything different then normal, same products, same brand of tint etc. . . . . .

I am seeing her tomorrow for a closer look but I am totally baffled, any ideas?

Well it sounds as though she has taken a reaction this time. I would wait till that all dies down and patch test her again if she is wanting them done again as it could just be a freak thing, maybe its reacted with something shes already had on or maybe its been something else entirely.

As far as insurances are conmcerned do you think she will want to make a claim? If so I hope your insurance dont insist on a patch test every time as some of them do and some only state every 6 months. Personally I think patch testing a client every time will lose you clients as its a bit extreme, but I know its all about prevention and if you had done so it would have possibly prevented this client from having the reaction on her brows as you would have patch tested her. But as I said I think that is a bit extreme but only my veiw :)

Maybe tell her to visit her doctor if its not died down any and he may tell her to take some antihistimines but you shouldnt advise her to take any medication. :)

Ask her if she has had any or used any henna or been in contact with henna. Or has recently coloured her hair? As this can make a difference. There are now some skin patch tests that can be sold to clients to take home and do 48 hrs before they come into the salon. It is like a tattoo that you place on the arm, wet then peel off. Then they come into the salon to have it removed ( very easily)and then we can then see if they have had a reaction to the dye.saves a reaction and saves getting sued! Hope this helps?

i've had clients who have had tinting done regularly with no problem and then out of the blue , for no apparent reason, just react.

i would never risk doing a tint on them again though as i think a mild reaction i.e itching /redness is like a warning and i would be afraid that if you tried tinting them again a far worse reaction might happen.

so i would err on the side of caution and not tint her again just to be on the safe side.

Hi Lysa.G the skin patch tests sound like the way to go... do you know where you can buy them from?

Ask her if she has had any or used any henna or been in contact with henna. Or has recently coloured her hair? As this can make a difference. There are now some skin patch tests that can be sold to clients to take home and do 48 hrs before they come into the salon. It is like a tattoo that you place on the arm, wet then peel off. Then they come into the salon to have it removed ( very easily)and then we can then see if they have had a reaction to the dye.saves a reaction and saves getting sued! Hope this helps?

Has the client started any medications that she hasn't mentionioned ie Roacutane? This can thin the skin and make it more prone to sensitivity. Is she suffering with hayfever? Did you ensure you left no trace of product on the skin when removing? Was it on both eyebrows? Was there any broken skin that perhaps you didn't notice on applying the tint? Just asking all the obvious questions because she hasn't reacted before.

It's not the end of the world. She can still have her brows tinted as there are other brands on the market and it could quite possibly be an ingredient in the brand you are using. She will def have to be patch tested though first.

Thankyou for all your replies ladies.

Babsann, I have been asking myself all those same questions.

I am off to see her at her home today, she is such a lovely client and thankfully she is not upset, just worried it would get worse. It hasn't thankfully and I will have some proper time today to see if I can get to the bottom of WHY it happened this time.

Will report back later today!

The name of the patch tests are called Colour Start. We brought ours through our hairdresser side. X

Hello 😄 I tiny my eyebrows and have done for years now, I have now become allergic to it , randomly but not all the time? I didn't react the last time I did it but I reacted the time before. I always react when my hayfever is really bad. Im sure that's a coincidence! I just take an anti histamine and it's ok, although I would never keep tinting on a client that has already reacted, just myself hehe x

I tint my eyebrows every 3/4 weeks and never ever had a reaction. This last time I tinted them the skin under my eyebrow was starting to go hot and starting to burn and itching. So I didn't dare leave it on so as soon as this happened I took it all off completely. Now I'm scared to try it again. I did a patch test after and I haven't reacted but I'm scared to apply it to my face as I imagine having this horror freak reaction where my eyebrows fall of :Scared:

I don't have periods so its not like my skin was sensitive more than normal and normally my skin isn't sensitive. I'm not on any medication. I don't have any creams with AHA's in or glycolic acid so it's weird. Maybe I have just suddenly become ellergic. Hopefully not as I couldn't live without my eyebrows been perfect! :eek:

Can I just ask..

We always patch test and we always say it's because each tint is made up differently and may contain different ingredients etc but in that case how do the Colour Start patches work?

I got told it was a particular ingredient you are testing for but doesnt seem to make sense to me, does the colour start patch contain everything you are likely to b allergic to?

Zooks

The same has just happened to me, I did my mums eyebrows on Thursday after a negative patch test and she has had a severe allergic reaction, to the point her lids are still swollen today 6 days later and her eyebrows were blistered and very very sore. I feel so awful!! :-(

Can I just ask..

We always patch test and we always say it's because each tint is made up differently and may contain different ingredients etc but in that case how do the Colour Start patches work?

I got told it was a particular ingredient you are testing for but doesnt seem to make sense to me, does the colour start patch contain everything you are likely to b allergic to?

Zooks

I seen these the other day in my suppliers catalogue...salonsdirect.com......it said they contain the main ingredients that cause a reaction......not too sure if its the same brand as wat the other geeks have mentioned.....but u can have a look, im gonna show my boss this week and see if she will get them in as it seems an easier option for clients, if there passing by they can grab one and take it home xx

Latest posts

Back