reaction to wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyjane

Reaction score
oh my god, i waxed my lip myself the other day and ive got like a rash, its not itchy its just bubbly and it keeps getting puss where the irritation is.

the wax was at the correct temperature

Have i gotten an allergic reaction to the wax? or is it because i may hav gone over the area too often?

It is salon systems and ive used it millions of times every part of my body.

it seems im getting allergic to new things (l&p and now wax)

anyone know?

ps im a qualified beauty therapist so i knw what im doing.

xx

Certainly sounds like an allergic reaction, although this would normally result in itchy, warm skin.

If, as you suggested, you have gone over the area more than once this would almost certainly have a negative effect.

How long did it take before the irritation appeared? What have you applied to you skin after the waxing?

it appeared the next morning but only redness then that night it started getting bubbles and was really red and now its scabbing over but still like squeezy spots (are they normal squeezy spots) i look diseased :-(

i applied Hive Cool Down After Wax ive always used it.

i must have gone over the area 2 times max
xx

I have not had a personal experience like this but I would have thought that if it was an allergy the reaction would have appeared quicker, but I could be wrong as I have no personal experience of this.

And you say the temperature was OK? did you use a different wax than normal?

the temp was ok and its the same wax ive used for years.

Mmm thats abit wierd. i could have touched the area alot afterwardso, i scrubbed my face about 4 hours later for bed.xx

its probably whatever you have used to clean your face that would have irritated it. i have had the same thing with face wipes the night of having my brows waxed that morning

the temp was ok and its the same wax ive used for years.

Mmm thats abit wierd. i could have touched the area alot afterwardso, i scrubbed my face about 4 hours later for bed.xx

I think that is where your problem lies. What did you actually scrub your face with?

clinique face scrub

x

oh my god, i waxed my lip myself the other day and ive got like a rash, its not itchy its just bubbly and it keeps getting puss where the irritation is.

the wax was at the correct temperature

Have i gotten an allergic reaction to the wax? or is it because i may hav gone over the area too often?

It is salon systems and ive used it millions of times every part of my body.

it seems im getting allergic to new things (l&p and now wax)

anyone know?

ps im a qualified beauty therapist so i knw what im doing.

xx

There are actually very few real allergic reactions to wax... it's usually the pre or post solutions you use.

It sounds like a histamine reaction... which is perfectly normal and is quite often. Have you had your lip waxed before? After a lip waxing, you want to make sure that you absolutely do not touch the area, and using something like PFB vanish or an astringent from a good facial line immediatly after waxing helps to calm this reaction. If you keep up the lip waxing on a 4 week schedule, this reaction will eventually calm down.

clinique face scrub

x

I dont know the product but what I do know of clinique at the best of times (ir worst) I would be pretty confident that this is what has caused your reaction.

Do you have any aloe vera gel or cream to help calm the area down. How is it now?

Can I recommend that you leave all products off your skin for at least 24 hours after waxing (unless it is the specific after wax products), especially Clinique as I know alot of people (including me) that have great irritations from this range, even without waxing.

I am sure it will clear soon but just be careful in future.

it appeared the next morning but only redness then that night it started getting bubbles and was really red and now its scabbing over but still like squeezy spots (are they normal squeezy spots) i look diseased :-(

i applied Hive Cool Down After Wax ive always used it.

i must have gone over the area 2 times max

x

If you had scabbing... you removed skin. This probably happend because you rewaxed the area.

What did you prep the area with first?

I would not go over the top lip twice when waxing - its a very sensitive area and it sounds to me like you have skinnned it.

i could have touched the area alot afterwardso, i scrubbed my face about 4 hours later for bed.xx

The waxing aftercare I give my clients includes the following (this is not the entire aftercare just a snippit)

For 12-24 hours after waxing ~
Avoid touching the area as this can introduce bacteria which may well lead to infection - i.e. spots. If you are tempted to touch or itch apply a cold compress or some aloe vera gel.
Do not apply any heat to the area - this includes UV treatments such as sunbeds, sauna's, hot showers/ baths, washing face in hot water etc.
Do not apply any of the following to the area ~ makeup, self tan, facial creams, body lotions, shower gels, soap. If you have to wash or bathe use lukewarm water and apply aloe gel afterwards.
Do not exfoliate as the area can be a bit tender ~ waxing removes the top layer of skin.

My personal opinion is that I dont think you have had an allergic reaction to the wax but you have not followed correct waxing procedure or aftercare which has resulted in the spots. Continuing to touch/rub the area or squeeze at the spots you have will make the problem worse.
I suggest you look back over your waxing notes from your training
HTH

EDIT ~ I am to slow at typing LOL!! a few geeks got in before me!

I've had the exact same problem, Id been having my upper lip waxed for a good couple of years and then out of the blue the last few times I came out with the reaction you described. Like some of the others have already said I put it down to me accidentily touching or licking my upper lip without thinking causing the horrible red spotty rash. The last time I had my upper lip waxed I made sure I kept it as clean as poss over the next 24 hours following the treatment and it came up worse than ever, that was back in february. So I just didn't get it waxed again, I'd rather have a few dark hairs than that rash! I'm doing a threading course on wednesday and I'm hoping I get on better with that.

HTH
xx:hug:xx

If you have just started to have reactions to somethings are you PREGNANT?? Dont mean to startle you but sometimes when you are pregnant you can experience allergies and reactions to things that you have used for ages. I did a tooth gem on one of my staff, she's had a few, and her lip swelled up and was stinging from the cleanser. She found out she was preganant a few days later. Its happened to loads of clients as well with different things.
How you described the swelling and scabbing does sound a little like impetigo as well.
Ooh Im just full of good news eh?

i thought i was pregnant because i was having irregular bleeding and really bad moodyness but found out i am not pregnant and it was all down to the depo injection.

impetigo? Do certain products cause this? I have seen pictures of impetigo and i honestly do not believe it is that,

as hurberella said i believe it is because i went over the area too much and this has caused the scabbing it has gone down alot now, there are just two red marks on either side of my lip now. i just want it gone.
xx

i thought i was pregnant because i was having irregular bleeding and really bad moodyness but found out i am not pregnant and it was all down to the depo injection.

impetigo? Do certain products cause this? I have seen pictures of impetigo and i honestly do not believe it is that,

as hurberella said i believe it is because i went over the area too much and this has caused the scabbing it has gone down alot now, there are just two red marks on either side of my lip now. i just want it gone.
xx

Well it could be hormonal then. I dunno. Ive seen some reactions on peoples eyebrows before when the girls in my salon have done them. I dont know what they have done as I asked; was the wax too hot etc etc but we couldnt figure out why it had happened. It looks like a graze or a burn but I think it might be that they dont hold the skin taught enough and it pulls the skin too much, as it doesnt happen when I do them its the only explanation as to why it happens as it sort of looks like the top layer of skin has been pulled off, it occurs just on the bone...has anyone else got any idea why this happens? Wax too hot? Not pulling skin tight enough? Or have they gone over the area too many times with the wax? Ooh I wish I had cameras in the rooms!!! LOL
Anyway SammyJane try putting a bit of vitamin e oil to your red bits. You can get the vitamin e capsules (that you take oraly) from the chemist but if you pierce one with a pin and squeeze out the oil then rub it into the scab/red bit. It helps the skin to heal faster

Anyway SammyJane try putting a bit of vitamin e oil to your red bits. You can get the vitamin e capsules (that you take oraly) from the chemist but if you pierce one with a pin and squeeze out the oil then rub it into the scab/red bit. It helps the skin to heal faster

: Sounds like a job for a good old Solar Oil. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back