Reaction to waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So tgis client has been coming to me for 9 weeks now, for highly defined brows.

She sent me this pic last night to say shr had a reaction.

I used a different wax, this time, salon system, cherry wax.

Does anyone have any ideas pkease on what ive done wrong?

The wax went very sticky and quite dufficult to remove?

Please help....
IMG-20190501-WA0000.jpeg

From your description I'd say that this might be a friction burn.

Never test a "new to you" wax on a client's face! The skin under the brows is thin and delicate and very vulnerable to damage from the "pull" of a wax strip.

Advise her to use aloe Vera and stay out of the sun for a few days. Ask her if she got her skin hot after her treatment or whether she has changed her skincare products.

Always check with your clients and make sure that they know not to expose just waxed skin to the sun and to keep the area cool. After waxing the skin is more sensitive. I tell clients to treat the area like the skin of a baby. Also remind to avoid chemicals - certain types of skincare products - glycoic acid - any kind of "skin brightener" and some vitamin A and derivatives can cause problems. So can swimming in chlorinated water, saunas etc.

I suggest that you express concern, give the client general advice and tell her to seek medical advice if the area gets worse. It may scab slightly, which is the skin healing, not getting worse - worse means increased redness, swelling, increased discomfort.

It's possible that she has reacted to an ingredient in the wax, so check the label. Google the Latin names. It might be that she has a sensitivity to pine rosin which is a common ingredient in gel type waxes.

Do a patch test on the inside of her wrist before you use this wax on her again.

Practise with the wax on yourself and learn the characteristics. It might need the matching prewax products or a light spritz of oil on the skin to reduce the pull.

Practise your brow waxing techniques. Apply wax using an orange stick in small, slim strips, dividing the brow into sections. Don't wax all the way under the brow in one go - even if you have the skill to do this - it's unkind to delicate skin.

Hope this helps.

From your description I'd say that this might be a friction burn.

Never test a "new to you" wax on a client's face! The skin under the brows is thin and delicate and very vulnerable to damage from the "pull" of a wax strip.

Advise her to use aloe Vera and stay out of the sun for a few days. Ask her if she got her skin hot after her treatment or whether she has changed her skincare products.

Always check with your clients and make sure that they know not to expose just waxed skin to the sun and to keep the area cool. After waxing the skin is more sensitive. I tell clients to treat the area like the skin of a baby. Also remind to avoid chemicals - certain types of skincare products - glycoic acid - any kind of "skin brightener" and some vitamin A and derivatives can cause problems. So can swimming in chlorinated water, saunas etc.

I suggest that you express concern, give the client general advice and tell her to seek medical advice if the area gets worse. It may scab slightly, which is the skin healing, not getting worse - worse means increased redness, swelling, increased discomfort.

It's possible that she has reacted to an ingredient in the wax, so check the label. Google the Latin names. It might be that she has a sensitivity to pine rosin which is a common ingredient in gel type waxes.

Do a patch test on the inside of her wrist before you use this wax on her again.

Practise with the wax on yourself and learn the characteristics. It might need the matching prewax products or a light spritz of oil on the skin to reduce the pull.

Practise your brow waxing techniques. Apply wax using an orange stick in small, slim strips, dividing the brow into sections. Don't wax all the way under the brow in one go - even if you have the skill to do this - it's unkind to delicate skin.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, for your help. Xx

So tgis client has been coming to me for 9 weeks now, for highly defined brows.

She sent me this pic last night to say shr had a reaction.

I used a different wax, this time, salon system, cherry wax.

Does anyone have any ideas pkease on what ive done wrong?

The wax went very sticky and quite dufficult to remove?

Please help....View attachment 208779
Very common, likely to go away soon. Might be a bit oochie if she puts any creams or makeup over it but otherwise shouldn’t cause too much trouble. Not serious. You can retail some afterwax lotion or give some of the one you use into a sample pot to help just to keep it clean and soothe it. Just make sure out of sun (sunglasses useful for this area instead of spf stinging) as can become permanently tea stain coloured pigmentation.

Latest posts

Back