reactions to dermalogica

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah21

Reaction score
hi ive been using dermalogica for about 3 1/2 weeks now i did do a thread about this before but the spots im getting are really big and red really sore ive only had two which have had pus in them the blackheads are the same no diffrence only more big spots plus ive never had them on my bottom cheeks before which is where they are now i use to get them on nose and chin only thease ones really look bad there near my mouth and all over my cheeks has anyone had this before i want to change to something else but dont want to make things worse i have sensitive skin and very oily with loads of blackheads and open pores can anyone recommend a skincare range that will help me plus im looking for a good mostioriser that wont clog pores and blackheads thanks

Dermalogica products can't be bought in the shops so I'm taking it you got the products from a salon who should have recommended to you which products would be best for your skin.
If I were you I would go back to the salon and let them take a look at what is going on and they may well recommend different products.

The skin cycle is normally around 28 days. Therefore when you take on a new skincare range you have to allow problems in the first month as the skin is adjusting and getting rid of all the nastiness in the layers. In the second month your skin tends to settle down and the products really start to work as all the "crap" (for want of a better word) has been cleared out of the skin and it all settles down. So give it another couple of months for it to settle. In the meantime it is best to go back to the salon and let someone just double check that everything is as expected.

hi i got the products from a friend as she had a load from a salon she worked at the nearest dermalogica salon is about 10 miles so cant get there ill keep using them for the next couple of weeks and sees what happens its just they look horerible and really sore would it be ok to wear a foundation over them

Unless it is a treatment foundation then best to steer clear. Give the skin a chance to settle itself. If it gets really a lot worse then maybe seek medical advice. But give it time and it all may settle ... or you may just have the wrong products? i'm not Dermalogica trained, I use Nimue, but I know that the products for problematic skin in the Dermalogica range are effective.

Dr Haushka .. ( gosh i hope i spelt it right , been a long day) products are the muts nuts !!! These i believe will be your remedy .. good luck..

hi i use anti bac wash, oil control lotion, gentle cream exfoliate and medicated clearing gel thats the only products i use

you say u have got alot of spots since using the products, so unless you suffered from acne before you started using them and after reading your list of products you are using i'm thinking that they are too strong for you. surley there is no need to use antibac skin wash, medicated clearing something or other unless you have serious problematic skin in the first place?

i got my face mapped and thease were the products i was told to use as im very prone to breakouts i dont really have acne but by looking at my face now u would say i did i dont have any on my neck its only cheeks and blackheads on nose and chin to tell the truth i wish i stuck with liz earle but i dont really want to change regime again its so hard to find whats right for my skin liz earle didnt give me spots but it didnt clear my skin either im just a bit puzzeled on what to do

If you don't have acne, then you never should have been put on these specific products in the first place. The products you mentioned are primarly used on clients with stage 3 and 4 acne. Dermal clay is for stage 1 & 2. And if you are using a product that is too harsh, then your skin is going to react to it. Dermalogica is a great product.. if you have the proper products for you skin.

well i dont know what to use then i got my face mapped so should i stop using them as i dont really have acne just blackheads and the spots which have come up since using dermalogica

I was re-reading your posts... so I need to get some things clear. Before you were put on the dermalogica, would you say your skin was very oily, large pores, blackheads and sensitive? If this is that case, then yes, you are on the proper products. Keep in mind that these products are not a cure, but rather a way of calming and soothing and treating the condition. I would try using Daily microfoliant. It is a gentle, daily exfoliator that is great for the skin.

How exactly are you using the Medicated clearing gel? This product must be used accordingly or adverse reactions can occur.

The anti-bac wash, although used to treat acne clients, contains ingredients that are very soothing and calming, so you can definetly continue to use this. The oil control lotion does not dry out our skin, but instead it absorbs excess oil. So this shouldn't be a problem either... but it if you had dry skin it would make your skin feel more flaky then usual.

Do you have an allergy to sulfa? The gentle cream exfoliant contains sulfa and you could be reacting to this.

In order to help you more, I need you to be very specific about what your skin was like before you started the dermalogica and exactly how you are using the products.

i trained at college with dermalogica and as you know we have to do treatments on each other, well, all i can say is how much it bloody stung my skin, i dont reckon i have sensative skin at all, but ive never felt stinging or burning like it, but i suppose that could be down to the therapist using it, and not getting it right, i dont know, but i wont use it anymore because of this

If the proper products are not being used for your specific skin, then of course you are going to get adverse reactions. And in school, we are just learning to read skin, so the wrong products tend to be used. I have trained with Dermalogica, use it in our salon, on myself, my daughter and boyfriend, and it is an incredible product... when used properly.

If the proper products are not being used for your specific skin, then of course you are going to get adverse reactions. And in school, we are just learning to read skin, so the wrong products tend to be used. I have trained with Dermalogica, use it in our salon, on myself, my daughter and boyfriend, and it is an incredible product... when used properly.

If this was meant for me then yes, i totally agree with you. thats why i said that it maybe due to the fact that we were training with it (about 2 years or so ago). all i meant was that im abit wary now to have it applied to my skin, no matter how trained the therapist is.........its not them i dont believe in, (if they highly trained) its the result from having it used (yes maybe wrongly in college), but i just darnt take the chance, my skin is getting old now :lol:

I totally understand. Once you've had a bad experience with something, you tend to be wary about trying it again... been there... done that :)

hi my skin is oily with loads of blackheads and large open pores plus im prone to breakouts usally on my nose forehead and chin plus i get a few spots on the side of my head its just i was abit worried asit looks a bit like a rash which has come out from my chin to my ears all over my cheeks some are really big and sore spots others are just little lumps i can feel it just looks horrible i just started using the dermal clay cleanser and skin prep scrub is this ok could you recommend the products i need to use please

Ok, This is what I would advice... keep in mind I cannot actually see your skin... I'm just going by the description you are giving me. Dermal clay is a wonderful product... it pulls out imperities, so you may experience some breakout activity for the first few weeks. Also, cleanse twice... The first cleanse will lift up and break apart debrit, the second cleanse you can acually leave on the skin for 5 minutes, it acts as a mini mask. The skin prep scrub you can use twice per week, you can use it alone, or mix it with your cleanser. If you still have the antibac wash, then you can also use this in place of the dermal clay when you have lots of break out activity... it is very calming and soothing.

You had mentioned the medicated clearing gel. I'm not sure how you are using it, but this is how it should be used. Use only at night on a clean face. After cleansing the skin apply a thin layer of medicated clearing gel to any areas that are broken out, then apply another thin layer on top of the first. DO NOT use a moisturizer over top. In the morning, cleanse as usual. Only use the medicated gel at night. You are going to experience some skin flaking... this is normal... once this is gone, your skin should be clearing up. The medicated clearing gel contains 2% salicylic acid, so only apply to the area that is broken out... not on clear skin.

So, in short... this should be your daily routine... morning... cleanse twice with dermal clay, spritz with toner, apply oil control lotion. (2 times per week, you can either use your skin prep scrub or gentle cream exfoliant (after cleansing). In the evening... cleanse twice, apply medicated clearing gel.

HTH

thats great thank you so much ill give it ago

i hate the stuff, i had a facial once and trained with it, it use to burn my skin. never used it again. avoid using this on you, do patch tests on clients too. i dong trust this stuff.
i now use dior or finders. they work well and fells soothing x

Latest posts

Back