Real Nappies, who has used them and which ones?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hope

Reaction score
So Baby will soon be here and we have decided that this time we are going to use real nappies, but boy was I amazed at how many different ones are available. I think that I have decided on which ones to use, TotsBots Bamboozles, but as they aren't cheap I was wondering if any of you had used/do use real nappies and if so, which ones and would you recommend them?

Thanks all :hug:

Yea I use them for Olivia. I used Bimbles and Bumbles by easey peasy nappies, they fasten with a nipper (which isnt difficult once you get the hang of it!) I use Motherease popper shut wraps.
A lot of the websites will sent you samples if you ask them, thats what I did as there are so many to choose from. I chose the bimbles and bumbles (bimbles are the new baby size ) in the end as you can add extra boosters, they dry really quick, they have a fleecy inner liner that keeps babies bum dry and they wern't megga expensive. If you are going to use a cloth nappy at night then look into either a fleece wrap, or an all in one nappy with a fleece outer, it sounds mad but they really do stay dry!!! We used the minky nappoies for night time, they have some really cool designs too!:green:

Hiya, I didn't use them I am ashamed to admit but seven and a half years ago I just wasn't interested in the environment the way I am now, but two things I wanted to say...

When I spoke to the lady from Twinkle on the Web, she said that nappies made from bamboo stay soft even if you dry them on an airer (as opposed to towelling which would probably be like cardboard if you didn't tumble dry!)

Also, find out if your local authority is offering any incentive to use washable nappies - Reading Borough Council is giving £30 cashback

Reading Borough Council : Community and Living > Real Nappies in Reading

Good luck with the bambino:hug:

When my last one was born 4 yrs ago, I had reusable nappies. What you did was pay an amount a week (£6 I think) and they delivered enough reusable nappies for the week. You got a bin which you chucked your dirty ones in and then on a Friday the guy came by, dropped off your new clean nappies and took away the dirties! You had to buy the covers (only need 2 really) and the liners. It was cheap, convienient and best of all I had NO guilt over my nappies sitting around for donkeys years on landfill! look in a parent mag.

The last time I used them (6 years ago) I used the shaped ones during the day and old fashioned terry nappies at night time. It sounds like they've come on along way since I used them as they did sometimes leak and they were more expensive to buy. But I would defiantly use them again and there are a lot of incentives to use them now, which is an extra bonus. When I first used them 11 years ago people thought I was completely mad, but a lot of people seem to use them now.

when i had my eldest i used terry towelling nappies, with liners and plastic pants.
just had 2 buckets then i would wash them...nothing lovlier than nappies on a line. when i had the others i ended up with 3 boys in nappies at the same time...so i confess i had to go disposable.

when i had my eldest i used terry towelling nappies, with liners and plastic pants.
just had 2 buckets then i would wash them...nothing lovlier than nappies on a line.
I agree with Joanne, nothing more satisfying than seeing a line full of bright white nappies :green:

I used them with my eldest (16 years ago) and got them in Mothercare, but had to go on to disposables with my 2nd.

Cripes I feel bone idle now, I never even considered them with my two. It does sound like theres a lot more incentive to do it than there was when mine were small though now.

i did so much research into what ones i sould use, like you was baffled by how many were on the market, i used the link below as a good guide. They are expensive buy most local councils give cash incentives now to get people to use them, you should ring them and ask. my son is 6 months now and i have to admit i use both reusable and disposable, but anything helps i'd say!!!

Mumsnet Reviews - Reusable Nappies

we used terry nappies with ben our eldest (14 nearly) only because we couldnt afford disposables at the time!!! then when we had our 3rd matty it was actually cheaper to use disposables cosof the cost of buying enough, the solution and using drier (cos weather was haradly ever nice enough to put them out and when you did they got stolen off line !!!) but i missed seeing line full of bright whites out there heheh, but cant say i missed the soaking of them in big buckets and having to clean them etc,

these days the terries are much better, a lot of councils offer money back if you use them and there are even services that take them and bring you new ones etc, so i think its deffo worth looking at,

xxxxx

we used terry nappies with ben our eldest (14 nearly) only because we couldnt afford disposables at the time!!!

Same here.

My daughter was on terry nappies which I used with a liner. The nurse showed me a special way of folding the nappy which was great and perfect to fit the liner around.

If I had to fold the nappy now, I probably wouldn't be able to :lol:

I couldn't afford disposables and only had a twin tub which made washing nappies even more interesting, but it was just part and parcel of the game.

I think if you can avoid using disposable nappies you should, as they do cause our landfills to fill up quite quickly and are not kind to the environment.

Marlise

I really enjoyed reading this post, i can't remember how many time i've thought of this. I'm not a mom yet but i've always thought that disposable nappies should be used less because it is the primary source of non-organic waste, and also non-recyclable. But here in Portugal not only there is no incentive to use cloth nappies, their evolution stoped as soon as the disposable kind apearead (in the 80's i belive), so not being able to get all these state-of-the-art cloth nappies it is understandable that moms are not willing to put their babies thru very disconforting situations like rashes and being wet for periods of time. But thanks you for bringing this to my attention, i might just buy some of the nternet when i'm a mom..

I'm sure Hope knows this :) but I just wanted to add that it is meant to be considerably cheaper to use washables, even taking into consideration the detergent and the electricity :)

Just more outlay in one go:rolleyes:

one other thing i thought of, if you are going to use 'real' nappies then well done to you, but can i just say, please dont feel pressured into having to use them iykwim, i remember when we went on a long weekend away, when we only had ben, and we had to buy another 2 packs of nappies just to take with us, so we had enough just in case, taking two buckets and detergent with us etc, was something i will never forget lol

i cant imagine how you could go abroad using them lol, the baggae allowance would be used up just on nappies pmsl:lol:

we had no washing machine in the chalet and trying to get them dry hanging all over the place was a nightmare, we had to give in and buy small pack of disposables,

so use them if and when you can, but dont feel like you HAVE to use them , toms mum was annoyed when she found out we'd bought disposables and couldnt manage (we managed in our day talk blah blah) yet when we had our 2nd 3rd and 4th kids she never batted an eyelid when we said no to terry nappies lol

great thread btw, seems to have got a lot of peoples attention

as nikki says you can have a happy medium using both.
towelling nappies for home , disposable for out and about, holidays etc. even if you only use towelling at home your still doing your bit.

Sadly I never thought about using cloths ones when mine were small.....but if I had young ones today I use non disposable .....and get a diaper/ nappie service

Cripes I feel bone idle now, I never even considered them with my two. It does sound like theres a lot more incentive to do it than there was when mine were small though now.

Same here...the thought hasn't even crossed my mind before now!
I'll do some research but i think i'll be sticking with disposable.

ine won't be going into day care but wondered how things stood with them and day care centres....do they ask you to put them in disposable whilst at day care or do they also use 'real' nappies??

good luck rachel, not long to go now!

xx :hug: xx

Hiya, I didn't use them I am ashamed to admit but seven and a half years ago I just wasn't interested in the environment the way I am now, but two things I wanted to say...

When I spoke to the lady from Twinkle on the Web, she said that nappies made from bamboo stay soft even if you dry them on an airer (as opposed to towelling which would probably be like cardboard if you didn't tumble dry!) That is what I have read, sounds good to me!

Also, find out if your local authority is offering any incentive to use washable nappies - Reading Borough Council is giving £30 cashback Our local council also offer this incentive, and I have to thank you for giving me the Twinkle on the web addy in another thread, as so far they are the best price I have found AND they are on our councils list of places you can purchase from and claim the money back :hug:

Reading Borough Council : Community and Living > Real Nappies in Reading

Good luck with the bambino:hug:

I'm sure Hope knows this :) but I just wanted to add that it is meant to be considerably cheaper to use washables, even taking into consideration the detergent and the electricity :)

Just more outlay in one go:rolleyes:

Considerably cheaper, about half price I believe :)
one other thing i thought of, if you are going to use 'real' nappies then well done to you, but can i just say, please dont feel pressured into having to use them iykwim, i remember when we went on a long weekend away, when we only had ben, and we had to buy another 2 packs of nappies just to take with us, so we had enough just in case, taking two buckets and detergent with us etc, was something i will never forget lol

i cant imagine how you could go abroad using them lol, the baggae allowance would be used up just on nappies pmsl:lol:

we had no washing machine in the chalet and trying to get them dry hanging all over the place was a nightmare, we had to give in and buy small pack of disposables,

so use them if and when you can, but dont feel like you HAVE to use them , toms mum was annoyed when she found out we'd bought disposables and couldnt manage (we managed in our day talk blah blah) yet when we had our 2nd 3rd and 4th kids she never batted an eyelid when we said no to terry nappies lol

great thread btw, seems to have got a lot of peoples attention

We have already agreed that although we will use them at home, that if we go on holiday, or little Joe goes to Grandparents etc then we would switch to disposables without guilt :lol:.

If you do want to use disposables for going out, convenience etc, there are some really good degradable disposables around now days.
Waitrose sells the Nature baby biodegradeable nappies and nappy bags. Also try Moltex and Wiona nappies.
Ocado: Product information for Nature Boy & Girl Midi 4-9kg/9-20lbs
Naty - Nature babycare
This website does moltex and wiona biodegradables and some reusables.
Moltex Nappies - Little Green Earthlets

Thank you for this, I had no idea that you could buy disposables like this.

Same here...the thought hasn't even crossed my mind before now!
I'll do some research but i think i'll be sticking with disposable.

ine won't be going into day care but wondered how things stood with them and day care centres....do they ask you to put them in disposable whilst at day care or do they also use 'real' nappies??

good luck rachel, not long to go now!

xx :hug: xx
Thanks Jenn :hug: Not long to go, but still far too long IYKWIM :lol:

I hope you are taking care of you and your little growing Bubba :hug:

Latest posts

Back