Real Rebalance...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Reaction score
Ok, leading on from the last thread I just wondered how you all go about this?
I have been trying to follow Geeg's method of 'thinking a different way and making the job easier' by starting at the free edge and working backwards, thinning zone 1 then zone 2, followed by zone 3 which should already be partially thinned with less work to do! I agree that only filing where necessary is much better and less boring for everyone.

Here's my question...... a few days ago I completed the real rebalance as a 121 at creative in Loughton, my tutor was excellent and obviously new her stuff as far as the products went etc..... BUT, she told me to start at zone 3 move towards free edge..... file the white so it's completely removed back to the natural nail :eek: :zzz: Why aren't they teaching the same methods as Geeg has been teaching us which are obviously so much easier??

As a novice I didnt feel that it was my place to question my tutor so I kept my mouth shut. I came away with a lot of titbits that will help me a lot regarding mix ratio and the like, but felt that the method of rebalance that Geeg has taught was the way to go. If everyone was taught this way surely it would make more sence, afterall not everyone has heard of this fab site!!

What do you all do?

I totally agree with you on this one Sherrie. Everyone should teach you in the same way.

That is mad isnt it?

Maybe we should get Geeg to take them for a real rebalance session :).

I think what it is, that they teach the industry standard but as Geeg has been in the game a long time she has found other ways of doing things that are less time consuming, probably with teaching all the time the educators do not get much time to investigate new methods and have to keep to how the company themselves stipulate.
Would be interesting to see what happens in the future.
x

I wonder why they taught you this way?

Will be intrested to find out.:)
Caz xxx

We have always taught Zone 1 to Zone 3 rebalancing so I am particularly stumped as to why she would do that!

I'm sure that I am not dreaming, I've been over it again in my head..... we definately started at zone 3 and worked forwards?

I can clearly remember her saying to remove the white back to the natural nail... we didn't in my models case as she was wearing white tips so we wouldn't be able to ..... would you normally teach Geeg's method of only removing the product where necessary then, not the whole of the white?

I am not saying I didnt learn anything because I did, just thought if there was a better way of doing it then Creative would be teaching it, especially as Geeg is connected so to speak. x

I can answer the why she may have done it that way...cuz that's how us "old" nail technicians have been doing it for years, and it's hard to teach an "old dog" new tricks. Not to imply that it is a better way, it's not, just different. I can honestly say from experience it is not any easier to start in zone 3, and you will be more likely to cause lifting and damage to the natural nail as the grit on the abrasive catches on the edge nearest the cuticle. You will chase a line all the way down the nail, until you have filed it all the way off and then you start over with a new tip.
Geeg's method and the CND method are tried, true and proven!!! I won't go back!!!

Jeni Giles said:
I can answer the why she may have done it that way...cuz that's how us "old" nail technicians have been doing it for years, and it's hard to teach an "old dog" new tricks. Not to imply that it is a better way, it's not, just different. I can honestly say from experience it is not any easier to start in zone 3, and you will be more likely to cause lifting and damage to the natural nail as the grit on the abrasive catches on the edge nearest the cuticle. You will chase a line all the way down the nail, until you have filed it all the way off and then you start over with a new tip.
Geeg's method and the CND method are tried, true and proven!!! I won't go back!!!

think you may have the wrong end of the stick here?? I prefer Geegs method, starting at the free edge and working back towards the cuticle! I was shown the other way round on a CREATIVE 121......... which is why i am querying it....

I will be interested to read the outcome on this.

MayI also say Geeg great article, really good read thanks.:cool:

Asparations,

I did my 5 day induction course at Loughton. I had two different tutors during the course.

One showed us zone 1 to zone 3 which I seemed to prefer. She also told us to leave some white in zone 1.

When I had the next tutot, which I believe was the same person who you saw, she went from zone 3 to zone 1 and removed all the white.

There you can put your mind at rest - I was told the same thing buy the same person. You're not cracking up.;)

I stuck to the first method I was shown 1 to 3 as I felt more comfortable with this and this is what I had been practising. But it is a bit strange that two tutors on one course would show you different ways, but I suppose everybody works in a different way which is neither right or wrong and its probably good to have seen different methods incase one doesn't work for you.

Think they need to address this at Loughton.

How confusing for students especially if they get two different tutors and are taught two different methods.

That is the whole point to boot camp so they all use the same methods and are all singing from the same hymn book.

Maybe you ought to call them sherrie and ask questions.

Personally I wouldnt be happy and would ask them to rectify the situation. How many other people going through there ar getting different information?

Maybe I should have been brave and mentioned it at the time but I didnt feel that it was my place. I didnt know what to say either..... 'oh by the way i'm a geek and Geeg showed us a different way that's much better....' LOL

I just think that if there is a less time consuming, less boring way to tackle rebalances and still get great results then that's what they should be showing students. I don't want to be seen to be putting my tutor down as I thought she was great and showed me loads of things that have helped me a great deal, I just think it would be EVEN BETTER if they had shown me the way I have learned from Geeg which seems the best way to me.

I understand that everyone has their own way of doing things and that's fine, but as a company they surely should all be 'singing from the same hymn book' as Lucia said.

Oh well, just my 2p worth! lol

I like to have different trainers for this very reason. Every one has their own way of doing things (even down to how to hold a file) and so you pick up little hints and tips and different ways to try the same thing and stick with what works best for you. Just so long as the trainers accept that YOU may have a better way too - we all learn from each other.

Aspirations said:
think you may have the wrong end of the stick here?? I prefer Geegs method, starting at the free edge and working back towards the cuticle! I was shown the other way round on a CREATIVE 121......... which is why i am querying it....

?Got the stick?:idea: I think...it's not easier, to start in zone 3, just different, that's how I used to do it, but after learning to start in zone one and seeing the difference, I won't go back (I didn't learn the zone 1 first method until 1996- I started doing nails in 1990) It just may be easier for the person who did your training (even though its really not) to start in zone 3 because that's where she's comfortable, and she's not ready to step out of her comfort zone and try something different.

Ask her, maybe she has an explaination. If she is CND trained and certified, I cant imagine why she wouldn't start in zone 1, that's where I learned it from.

Latest posts

Back