Real sick, think I have overexposure!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amerie43

Reaction score
So today I did 2 full sets, one soak off, and two fills and aftermy 3rd client I starting getting really sick feeling. My head got real tight and started to pound, I gotreally sick to my stomach, almost car sick feeling, My vision got fuzzy, and I felt really weak.... I have been home now for 5 hours now and feel a little better but still feel cloudy and ill..... Could this be overexposure to the chemicals, should I got to the doctors????

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you feel so yucky. Do you think it might just be the flu stuff that's going around? I worked 12 hour days and I don't think I ever felt like that. Had you eaten since the begining of your day? Maybe your blood sugar was low.

It could be the fumes. What's your ventilation like?

I work in a pretty big place and I have an air purifier sitting right near me but it does kinda feel like the chemicals got to me but then again maybe I am just sick.... The smell was getting to me and then it just got worse. What are the sighns of overexposure? I really feel terrible.......

There are 3 ways product can enter the body..
inhalation (breathing)
absorbtion (skin contact)
ingestion (eating them)

If you are controling those routes of entry you should be fine..
you have your purifier (not sure how effective they are), and remember your breathing space..

you should have msds sheets that will list any possible short term- long term health effects of overexposure (if any) and permissible exposure limits.

anyway if used incorrectly early warning signs of over-exposure are

-rash -tingling toes -lightheadedness -fatigue -insomnia -irratability -runny nose -sluggishness -sore,dry throat -breathing problems -watery eyes

all can be easily avoided and will completely reverse themselves in a short time.. work correctly and safely.

If you was in the UK it would more than likely be a virus that is going round as there is quite a few sickness bugs doing the rounds with the symptoms you describe.

hope you feel better soon chick :hug:

I had the same thing last week when I was doing a pedicure - I thought it was the clients feet!!! Lost my apetite for 2 days and had a bit of an upset stomach so that much have been it!

Try not to worry about it and get some rest. Hope you feel better xx

To answer the original poster's question ... I completely doubt that the way you are feeling is in any way due to overexposure.

Firstly even the worst ventillated place of work is nowhere near the level at which you could overexpose yourself to product vapours.

VAPOURS ... we do not make fumes in our business unless you are smoking at your table! You can smell monomer in vapour form like perfume (though most of us wouldn't choose to wear monomer perfume!!). You don't say your perfume is giving off fumes do you!! It is vapours and we sgould all be using the right terminology in our business.

Lastly, an air purifier is completely ineffective against removing dust and vapour from the atmosphere. It is recommended that you be working with an extraction ventilation system that removes and recirculates clean air into your work space ... air purifiers do not do that job at all.

I hope you feel better soon from whatever it is that ails you but I can assure you it is not overexposure although feeling as you do the smell may not have helped. x

To answer the original poster's question ... I completely doubt that the way you are feeling is in any way due to overexposure.

Firstly even the worst ventillated place of work is nowhere near the level at which you could overexpose yourself to product vapours.

VAPOURS ... we do not make fumes in our business unless you are smoking at your table! You can smell monomer in vapour form like perfume (though most of us wouldn't choose to wear monomer perfume!!). You don't say your perfume is giving off fumes do you!! It is vapours and we sgould all be using the right terminology in our business.

Lastly, an air purifier is completely ineffective against removing dust and vapour from the atmosphere. It is recommended that you be working with an extraction ventilation system that removes and recirculates clean air into your work space ... air purifiers do not do that job at all.

I hope you feel better soon from whatever it is that ails you but I can assure you it is not overexposure although feeling as you do the smell may not have helped. x

Thanks for clearing that one up Geeg......and they say men go over the top when they have a cold. Lol.xx

Thanks everyone! I am feeling much better today. I just started doing nails so Im still kind of new to this. Thanks for the info. I must have just had a migrain or something else. Thanks again! :confused:

you may be coming down with the flu. thats how it starts, then you feel better for a couple of days before it hits full force.
its at epidemic levels right now. where i live literally 1 out of 4 ppl have it. one of my friends just got out of the hospital saturday - she had it for four weeks!!!
please rest and get some vitamin c!

Another possibility is posture and motion.

Especially in new technicians their body is not used to the motion of continual filing and sitting in hunched and strained positions all day. This can easily lead to a form of vertigo, which makes you feel very dizzy and motion sick.

If you are hunching and straining your eyes by trying to look hard at your work you will make it worse.

Sit in a natural unstrained position, you should as part of your breathing zone be two feeet away from your subject. Also stop and micro pause regularly, shake out your arms and move your neck and shoulders to allow blood flow, this will help.

Thanks everyone! I am feeling much better today. I just started doing nails so Im still kind of new to this. Thanks for the info. I must have just had a migrain or something else. Thanks again! :confused:

can i just say.. i actually did the same sort of thing when i was sorta new to nails.. i didnt concentrate so much on overexposure and such, i just wanted to do nails.. so i went out and did nails..
I woke up one day with this rash on my knees..and the first thing i did ..in a panic.. was post a thread asking if it could possibly be connected......

:eek:

now once i thought about it i realised that i wasnt going to panic everytime i goy something like a rash or a runny nose..so i bought a few good books.. and did more research, went backover my modules and educated myself..

knowledge is power as they say..and i realised that i could protect myself and do nails at the same time...

I also had symptoms like that, I was weak and felt hot and cold a bit like when you have flu but without the cold symptoms. Went to doctors as it was gone after a nights sleep and he said it was symptoms of dehydration and that you dont have to go a day without drinking anything to have it.
glad you feel better hun

Thanks everyone nfo your concern and thoughts! I didnt mean to panic I just thought it may have ben a conection to the chemicals and wasnt sure if anyone else had felt that before. But anyways Im better now and I will def check my posture and take little breaks. Thanks again!:)

Latest posts

Back