Really disappointed with level 3 nails course at college

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misse82

Reaction score
Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
As the title explains I am so upset about my course. I have my level 2 nails and have recently done courses at the creative academy in Manchester including shellac, brisa lite etc which were absolutely fantastic. However I felt I needed to be able to offer all nail enhancements and unfortunately could not afford the complete course with CND so I enrolled with a college and have took out a 2 grand college loan to fund it. I will eventually do a conversion course with CND, a bit if a more expensive and time consuming route, but the only one I could take due to funding. I was really looking forward to it however on day one we were told that we had to buy an NSI kit on top of the course fees as the college no longer provides these even though this was said to be provided in the initial interview. They said we could use the colleges products in lessons however they are not NSI products they are millennium and we are not to tell the other students as they think its NSI!! We were also told that tanning was included however this has now turned out to be an extra cost also!
Our tutor is a lovely lady but I feel she is not as up to speed as she should be educating others. I feel so disheartened and I am so upset and afraid I am being taught inefficiently.
Can the college get away with this? Does anyone know if I can do anything about this situation, I am getting into debt for insufficient training, as are the other girls on my course, and feel it shouldn't be allowed.
I would really appreciate any advise xx

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.
As the title explains I am so upset about my course. I have my level 2 nails and have recently done courses at the creative academy in Manchester including shellac, brisa lite etc which were absolutely fantastic. However I felt I needed to be able to offer all nail enhancements and unfortunately could not afford the complete course with CND so I enrolled with a college and have took out a 2 grand college loan to fund it. I will eventually do a conversion course with CND, a bit if a more expensive and time consuming route, but the only one I could take due to funding. I was really looking forward to it however on day one we were told that we had to buy an NSI kit on top of the course fees as the college no longer provides these even though this was said to be provided in the initial interview. They said we could use the colleges products in lessons however they are not NSI products they are millennium and we are not to tell the other students as they think its NSI!! We were also told that tanning was included however this has now turned out to be an extra cost also!
Our tutor is a lovely lady but I feel she is not as up to speed as she should be educating others. I feel so disheartened and I am so upset and afraid I am being taught inefficiently.
Can the college get away with this? Does anyone know if I can do anything about this situation, I am getting into debt for insufficient training, as are the other girls on my course, and feel it shouldn't be allowed.
I would really appreciate any advise xx

How much is the complete course with CND I'm sure it's not much more than what you say you've spent from what I remember when I looked.

It's probably going to work out much the same in price after all your additional costs?! If your getting into debt anyway then why not better spend your money doing a decent course which is aimed at peor who don't want to spend a year in a cr**py community college (I feel your pain as I did just this).

I would rather wait a little longer and do a decent course as you may end up paying for further training afterwards to home your skills anyway if the teaching quality is bad?

Plus if your doing the conversion course next year anyway then that's even more cost!

Hi hun, I noticed on your profile that you are from Cheshire, which college are you attending? I'm from Cheshire too and your story sounds very similar to mine! My nail tutor just simply wasn't a confident teacher, and I would say that if you are already spending £2000 (a hell of a lot of money just on a college course) you would be better spending your money to train directly with the company of your choice! Then you are guaranteed training from professionals who are experts in the products :) xxx

Thanks for your replies girls. The reason I can't do the training at CND is because the loan I have taken is only payable on completion if my course which is mainly for colleges. I have spoke to CND and they take payment upfront, this is why I have to take this route. I just think that there must be something I can do about it. Surely people cannot be expected to pay so much and not receive the proper training and products in return. Not only that but it is allowing any Jo blogs to get an NVQ and treat clients incorrectly with insufficient information, one girl in the course wasn't even aware if contra-indications!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would write a letter pointing out all the discrepancies and inconsistencies between what you were lead to believe would be covered and included in your course, and the reality now you are there, with all the financial implications for you, and send it to the Head of the Dept if not the Principal of the College.

Have you got all the paperwork telling you what would be included in the course, as that would be required to back up your complaint.

Thanks for your replies girls. The reason I can't do the training at CND is because the loan I have taken is only payable on completion if my course which is mainly for colleges. I have spoke to CND and they take payment upfront, this is why I have to take this route. I just think that there must be something I can do about it. Surely people cannot be expected to pay so much and not receive the proper training and products in return. Not only that but it is allowing any Jo blogs to get an NVQ and treat clients incorrectly with insufficient information, one girl in the course wasn't even aware if contra-indications!!!

My college course is the same (although mine was £3345 for the year :O) Although they have been totally up front with the costs we were expected to pay. I had to pay £215 for a basic kit, uniform and exam fee and we also have to buy an advanced kit for an additional £90 on top!

My tutor is very good though and I am learning a lot. I suppose it depends what college you end up at.

Thanks izzidoll I do think that's the best way to go forward, I have all of my paperwork so I am in the middle of writing to the college.
Jojomac i do realise that the courses aren't cheap and probably wouldn't be that disheartened if I had a tutor I felt confident in and call the costs were up front like yours. Guess I'll have to grin and bear it for now :) hope your course goes well x
Thanks again for your replies though girls xx

I really do feel for you! I went to a college and did a level 2 nail tech course and was not impressed with the tutor. She was so bad and gave us all the exam questions 20 minutes before every exam which resulted in many students getting 100% on the test, except on one occasion when an examiner sat in during an exam, you can question the results; many re-takes! On the practical exams it was a different story, all but one student too re-takes, a guess she wanted it to look good! Needless to say we all got our certificates at the end of it. It's for that reason I will do private courses and private organizations like CND!

Hope you get things sorted.

Thanks izzidoll I do think that's the best way to go forward, I have all of my paperwork so I am in the middle of writing to the college.
Jojomac i do realise that the courses aren't cheap and probably wouldn't be that disheartened if I had a tutor I felt confident in and call the costs were up front like yours. Guess I'll have to grin and bear it for now :) hope your course goes well x
Thanks again for your replies though girls xx

My tutor is fab, but my cousin is doing the same course but full time at the same college and she said her tutor is rubbish! So I think it's good to have a tutor who suits your style of learning, mine is fairly young compared to the rest of the faculty.

Latest posts

Back