Really don't know what to do!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttaylor

Reaction score
hey would really appreciate some advice here....

i have been working in a salon for 2 months self employed after having to leave a salon i had worked happily at for 4 years ( thats another story) it has been very stressfull and upsetting and have found it quite hard to settle, the people are nice and the area is very well off but there isnt alot of passing trade, the owner is very busy but the salon is very much a come to work do your clients take your money and go home, dont get me wrong we do have a laugh but as far as exciting new hairdressing goes there isnt much movement. also he doesnt do any offers or advertising as he says he doesnt need to. i do sometimes feel im out of my depth as the clients are very well to do and very rich. i have in the last week started to settle a bit but some minor things are still bothering me for example having to employ my own assistant.
so the dilema i have spoken to a salon near by that also rent a chair and are very friendly,cheaper rent, and up for advertising, getting involved with other buisnessess, and genrally growing the buisness, and i would have opportunity to do beauty treatments as well.
however at the moment the salon doesnt seem very busy, the outside and signage needs updating, the salon is quite small and not really any where to have a quiet discussion, the basins are quite dated with the side wash. there isnt really anything around the salon but an empty shop next door, however there is alot of passing traffic that we could attract

im so nervous of making a decision i need help am i just being silly?

sorry its quite alot to take in!!

Firstly if u are self employed u are responsible for ur own advertising, so either way (if u will be self emplyed at another salon) get some leaflets made and dropped off. People don't know ur there or what u offer unless u tell them.

Do u advertise in the hairdressers at the mo? If u have potential clients with a disposable income then don't let that pass u by, introduce urself/your services, that said
I have worked with people who just expect customers of a hairdressers/sunbeds to become their income, u could expect a small % of them, but u should really be trying to get ur own through advertising.

With regards to ur dilemma about which salon, only u can make that choice, do what suits u best. Xx

Firstly if u are self employed u are responsible for ur own advertising, so either way (if u will be self emplyed at another salon) get some leaflets made and dropped off. People don't know ur there or what u offer unless u tell them.

Do u advertise in the hairdressers at the mo? If u have potential clients with a disposable income then don't let that pass u by, introduce urself/your services, that said
I have worked with people who just expect customers of a hairdressers/sunbeds to become their income, u could expect a small % of them, but u should really be trying to get ur own through advertising.

With regards to ur dilemma about which salon, only u can make that choice, do what suits u best. Xx

ok so should have explained the advertising a bit better maybe,
i know i am responsible for my own advertising and have no problems with this, the salon i am working in now the bloke doesnt mind me advertising and doing a small offer to let people know where i am but thats it he doesnt want to do offers or doesnt see any need to advertise the buisness in any way after that. the othr salon is willing to do monthly offers, advertise the buisness in several places, have a website and have offer boards outside, everything would be at a shared cost to myself the way i see it at the moment everyone is looking for a deal no matter what, i dont want to cheapen my self but in the same its the way to attract.

my dilemma is that i am finding it hard to make that choice as i no longer know what is best my mind is all over the place with it all and quite honestly sick to the stomach with worry hence why im asking for advice x

Most of the time it takes a while to settle in - you said you're feeling a bit more settled this week which is a good sign. Instead of focusing on the negatives of the salon keep reminding yourself of all the positives, write a list and keep it in your bag and whenever you feel disheartened get it out and read it to give yourself a boost. Set yourself a timeframe to make things change, for example if in two months time not much has changed then find somewhere else to work or even go mobile (if you have a car?) At the end of the day you've got to be happy and get satisfaction from your job otherwise life is miserable - there's two things in life that are essential ... a good job and a comfy bed because those places are where you spend the majority of your time. Think of all the things you can do to improve the situation, do the most important things first and work your way through the list. Even though you work in a salon, effectively you are starting your own business from scratch being self employed, it's your name, your talent and your reputation that will keep clients coming back time after time, but to get them in in the first place you have to advertise like crazy!! Anywhere and everywhere you can possibly think of - go to wedding fayres, leisure centres, slimming world/weight watchers meetings, mother and toddler groups, sixth form students, college and uni students, council offices, churches, car boot sales - anywhere where there is already loads of people get out there with leaflets walk up and down town if you have to handing them out. You can do offers, discounts, introductory prices like 50% off just to get people in or book in for one treatment and get the sencond treatment for free!! It's a great time of year for the hair and beauty industry with holidays, proms, weddings etc use it all to your advantage and go for it. Good luck hope it works out for you hun x

thankyou for the replies so far i think i need to make my mind up where i want to be before i advertise my self, the only thing really keeping me where i am is the potential of the clients money and the hassel of moving again. but i dont think that is enough and like you say i would have to advertise like crazy which i dont think he would be happy with (cheapening his brand). the other salon just worries me as to weather it is right for me in the sence of is it going to attract new custom and am i going to be busy. i worry that people dont think the salon is very up and comming but a shampoo and set salon. i need to make sure i am moving my buissness to the right place

Why not try a bit of on the ground research. Perhaps set asside an hour to stand at a spot outside/close to each location and ask passers by what they think of the salon. Do they see it as somewhere they would want to go or do they see it as down market, too up market etc. It might be a bit daunting to do BUT it will give you a great insight to how the people are thinking :hug: good luck with whatever you choose

well only you can decide hun but you sound mighty cheesed off and going to work when you dread it is no fun at all.

From what you've said I'd be inclined to have a change. Good luck whatever you decide. :hug:

I am in a similar situation to you and the best advice i can give is to write a business plan it will help you point out where you are going wrong and the opportunities available to you.

The grass always looks greener on the other side but the chances are that you will face similar problems wherever you go

My problem was not being prepared and this made me think there is something wrong with the salon the truth was that i just hadn't anticipated the reality of what i would have to do to make my business work

So do 2 business plans one for where you are now and one for the other salon research them fully before you make your move

(i rent a room in a locally well known barber offering ladies hair and have found my biggest obstacle the fact that the barber is so well known i struggle to get noticed because i have no window and people just know it as the barbers if i had done my business plan before i started i would have been better prepared to understand how to make my business work)

Hope this helps a bit x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

God I feel sick with it all, I think my problem is , is if I think this other salon is going to help me generate buisness? Is it in a good place? and is it going to attract new clients. if I'm really honest I think deep down I really want to be employed again im a big worrier and constantly watching the money, there isn't any jobs out there at the moment :( I really don't know what to do! :(

Have you thought about asking for your old job back !

Have you thought about asking for your old job back !

Honestly I wish this were an option but unfortunately things didn't end on good terms in the end :(

God this sounds exactly like the salon that I was in,since I've left I'm doing great & they have closed the salon I was in!! X

Latest posts

Back