Really dry nails after Gelish removal - please advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been practising (on friends and family) with the Gelish system for quite a few months now and will also be doing my conversion course in 2 weeks time. Generally the nails are in decent condition after I have removed them and I am very careful not to force the gel off and damage the nail plate. However, I do get a bit annoyed when the person decides to take their gel off themselves and then complains that their nails are really dry. This has happened to my friend today. I've done Gelish on her nails twice now - the first time she absolutely loved them and they lasted for about a week and a half and then she took them off herself as when I knew she was desperate to take them off but I wasn't going to be able to get to her on time I told her how to remove them properly and she did just that. She said they were a little weak but they weren't too bad.

I then did another Gelish on her again and for some reason it didn't last more than a few days before it started chipping and gradually over 2 weeks they got really bad and I was going to take them off for her tomorrow and re-do them again. She decided to take them off herself instead and has told me that they are more dry than ever now and really breaking and catching on everything. She says she didn't force the gel off and did just as I'd told her too but did say she only had the acetone wraps (the foil method) on for a few minutes.

I know people may say I should be using the correct remover but I haven't really had problems so far and I've been doing them for about six months on my own nails now too and they are really strong still when the Gelish is removed.

Has anyone any ideas as to what is going wrong? I'm off to the exhibition tomorrow and buying a load of new goodies including an LED lamp and I will also invest in the Nail Harmony remover but I'm sure it can't be down to the acetone alone. These sort of situations really quite upset me to be honest as I carry out the service with such thoroughness and really look forward to doing it as a mobile technician again (after a few years out of the industry) but this sets me back and makes me lose all confidence :cry:

There was a long post recently on acetone and the fact that it could be drying out the nails too much. They were saying that the harmony remover is better and kinder to the nails but worked out far more expensive. Im not sure myself and ive been using acetone too. Like you though am off to excel monday and willl be purchasing harmony remover to see if there a difference. Sorry its not a massive help but hope some other geeks can add to this.

The only time I have had nails like this is when the person hasn't been religious with their oil, and I have to admit that when I was really busy and didn't oil my own nails twice daily my nails sufferered from being dry and splitting, and that was only for a week and when I saw my nails I have been super good now. My hubby laughed at me the other night and said it doesn't matter how tired you are you always manage to put your nail oil on!! I was doing them with my eyes closed as I was half asleep!!!

Trouble is she says she has been using her oil regularly and even wearing gloves when washing up :o(

I'm really bad and hardly ever remember to oil my nails myself (slap on the wrist to me!) but my nails are still good so this sort of thing really really disheartens me :cry:

Hi Claire C - can I ask you if you use the Nail Harmony remover for your Gelish treatments or acetone as another thread seems to be pointing at acetone being the culprit for the dry nails.

In a previous post regarding this problem a few fellow Geeks have suggested adding some oil to the acetone.
I'm interested in this as i also use acetone to remove and i must admit i have a small portion of my clients who have come back with dry nails which have caused some transverse splits. I thought it was probably down to not using their solar oil at least twice daily which i stipulate but you just never know.
mmmmmm
xxx

When I started doing Gelish on myself, I used acetone to remove, just because I didnt want to "waste" my expensive remover that was for clients. My nails became REALLY dry and had white patches, then I discovered Acetone can do this.
I stopped it and used the Harmony remover and no problems! No dry nails and no white patches.
xx

mmmm it does seem like the answer is 'use the NH remover'
xxx

The fact that she is ripping them off isn't going to help!

Remember that when you prep the nails your dehydrating them, so when the gelish is off the nails are dry! In order to get them back in order you need to hydrate them using cuticle oil x

Hi Everyone
I do agree with the above posts on using the removers instructed by the company who's product is being used. However my experience has taught me that once clients pick off or fiddle with with their product it can compromise the next application that you will do. As you know the better quality of the client's nail the better the product will attach itself. Also if your friends gelish was peeled off or buffed off the nail will look dry when in fact some of the top layers have been removed, creating a dry look. I have listened to people for years tell me that they have had a product used which has damaged their nails, however after questioning or observing I discovered that they were the ones who actually damaged their nails by ignoring the advice of their Nail Tech. I hope that you are not disheartened as once that you build up a good clientele you will see that it is the minority who is problematic. I always dissolve off my clients previous application and include that in the price. If they decide to pick, buff or dissolve themselves I stress that they can not expect their subsequent treatments to last as long. Avril

Hi Claire C - can I ask you if you use the Nail Harmony remover for your Gelish treatments or acetone as another thread seems to be pointing at acetone being the culprit for the dry nails.

Hi yes always use NH remover. But I use magis wraps for removal not pads and foil and my bottle lasts ages. The magis wraps really do make your remover go further. Like I said I've worn gelish constantly for at least a year now and the only time my nails were in poor condition was when I was too busy before Christmas and didn't have time to oil! Now I make time!

Hello, Im a freelance manicurist located in Singapore, Regards to your post. Its alright to actually use acetone to remove the gelish, YES i do agree its stronger and harms your nails. but if you are using acetone get a nail masque whereby it would hydrate its nails after using the acetone. after the masque use cuticle oil to let de moisture be kept within the cuticle area just so to have healthy nails. I do hope this helps :)

Hi yes always use NH remover. But I use magis wraps for removal not pads and foil and my bottle lasts ages. The magis wraps really do make your remover go further. Like I said I've worn gelish constantly for at least a year now and the only time my nails were in poor condition was when I was too busy before Christmas and didn't have time to oil! Now I make time!

True you use far less remover with magi wraps & the gelish just flakes off when you remove the wraps x

Hi Everyone
I do agree with the above posts on using the removers instructed by the company who's product is being used. However my experience has taught me that once clients pick off or fiddle with with their product it can compromise the next application that you will do. As you know the better quality of the client's nail the better the product will attach itself. Also if your friends gelish was peeled off or buffed off the nail will look dry when in fact some of the top layers have been removed, creating a dry look. I have listened to people for years tell me that they have had a product used which has damaged their nails, however after questioning or observing I discovered that they were the ones who actually damaged their nails by ignoring the advice of their Nail Tech. I hope that you are not disheartened as once that you build up a good clientele you will see that it is the minority who is problematic. I always dissolve off my clients previous application and include that in the price. If they decide to pick, buff or dissolve themselves I stress that they can not expect their subsequent treatments to last as long. Avril

can you just advise the client ,that after removal to use nail streghner with calcium to hydrate the nails again?

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I have just come back from my friend's house after having done her nails again. She actually left one nail with the gel on for me to have a look at and when I removed it (had just come back from Pro Beauty and bought the Nail Harmony Remover!) it came off without any flaking to her natural nail at all and it was still quite strong. I'm hoping that this means it was down to the acetone removal and also maybe the way she took it off.

I have now re-done her nails with the Magneto (which I absolutely adore, as does she, and is so simple to use) but I also put on a layer of structure gel after the foundation to hope to make her nails a little stronger. Do you think this may help?

Oh and I also bought the new LED lamp and am also in love with that too - it's brilliant!!!! :Love:

So, it's just a waiting game now to see how the nails go and fingers crossed she doesn't have too many problems although I am half expecting some problems as most of her nails were flaky and I supposed it may take time for her nails to grow stronger again now. I really want to get some confidence back!

Just a thought as i'm putting in an order to Sweet Squared, has anyone tried the D solve designed to remove CND enhancements on gelish?

Just a thought as i'm putting in an order to Sweet Squared, has anyone tried the D solve designed to remove CND enhancements on gelish?

Yes, this is what I use for Gelish removal - no problems! Xx

I believe JuicyLucy got some D-solve and said in another thread it worked a treat much quicker and more effective. Also worked out alot cheaper :D

Latest posts

Back