Really need advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma Little

Reaction score
Before everyone says let it go or I've already read this before et, please don't comment if that's what you are going to put.

ok, so back in January 2017 I started 'working' for this hairdresser doing beauty and other salon duties like reception duties, salon duties and PA for her and her daughter.

it was a mother and daughter salon, at first they was really supportive and was very encouraging towards as I was only there to build my confidence because my confidence is terrible ( I know, why did I choose beauty).

everything was fine until Easter 2017 came along and it was my sisters boyfriends birthday so my family decided too take him to Scotland and Yorkshire for a few days so I asked to have a week off the mother said yes that's fine because they wanted a work experience girl who was interesting in hairdressing because her and her daughter was hairdressers so she gave me the week off, then I thought my mum has another week off ill ask for the extra week off to spend time with my mum on her own she the mother was fine with it when I asked.

I got back and the mother just was off with me and was acting weird with me and I could sense there was something going on for a couple I kept going to my mum that they was being funny with me.

I was standing in reception one day and the daughter decided to say that the work experience girl that came in she wanted her to do an apprentice with her in the salon and I was like what the place isn't that big I'm going to have to have leave if this does happen, they started having secret meetings with this girl and I could her them in the front room while I was upstairs whispering and I am one hundred percent sure that they was slagging me off to clients, a few days later I walk in to the reception when the mother has her client and the client says in front of me so when does the apprentice start and I'm like what apprentice, nobody has sat me down at this point telling about the apprentice.

I was finally told about this apprentice a couple after she told clients and other staff members about the apprentice so I decided to leave in July 2017 two months before the apprentice was supposed to start.

after I left a picture that was taking for a 'team photo' for the Facebook page was still on there and I've finally asked nicely if it could be removed and they have said they will ASAP but they haven't and it has been 4 days since I've asked.

since I've left they've employed someone qualified in aromatherapy as beautician so she was doing waxing and I don't think she was qualified. I pass the daughter in the streets a few times and she does even speak to me and clients that i've washed their don't even say hi to me so now I am feeling like they are slagging me off to the clients or telling them that I'm not good beautician etc because I still haven't managed to get into the industry and i've tried applying for jobs in that section.

I never got on with the daughter, if she asked me to do a job and I wasn't quick because hairdressing not my profession she would get so annoyed and would 100% making it aware, I would walk into the salon and the sink would be full of dirty cups, ive had to wash her hair a couple of times, If her mum didn't order something that she needed for the client that day she would get annoyed, she would be quick judge other people but not herself.

You’ve had lots of advice from your previous thread. What are you hoping to hear this time around?

Before everyone says let it go or I've already read this before et, please don't comment if that's what you are going to put.

ok, so back in January 2017 I started 'working' for this hairdresser doing beauty and other salon duties like reception duties, salon duties and PA for her and her daughter.

it was a mother and daughter salon, at first they was really supportive and was very encouraging towards as I was only there to build my confidence because my confidence is terrible ( I know, why did I choose beauty).

everything was fine until Easter 2017 came along and it was my sisters boyfriends birthday so my family decided too take him to Scotland and Yorkshire for a few days so I asked to have a week off the mother said yes that's fine because they wanted a work experience girl who was interesting in hairdressing because her and her daughter was hairdressers so she gave me the week off, then I thought my mum has another week off ill ask for the extra week off to spend time with my mum on her own she the mother was fine with it when I asked.

I got back and the mother just was off with me and was acting weird with me and I could sense there was something going on for a couple I kept going to my mum that they was being funny with me.

I was standing in reception one day and the daughter decided to say that the work experience girl that came in she wanted her to do an apprentice with her in the salon and I was like what the place isn't that big I'm going to have to have leave if this does happen, they started having secret meetings with this girl and I could her them in the front room while I was upstairs whispering and I am one hundred percent sure that they was slagging me off to clients, a few days later I walk in to the reception when the mother has her client and the client says in front of me so when does the apprentice start and I'm like what apprentice, nobody has sat me down at this point telling about the apprentice.

I was finally told about this apprentice a couple after she told clients and other staff members about the apprentice so I decided to leave in July 2017 two months before the apprentice was supposed to start.

after I left a picture that was taking for a 'team photo' for the Facebook page was still on there and I've finally asked nicely if it could be removed and they have said they will ASAP but they haven't and it has been 4 days since I've asked.

since I've left they've employed someone qualified in aromatherapy as beautician so she was doing waxing and I don't think she was qualified. I pass the daughter in the streets a few times and she does even speak to me and clients that i've washed their don't even say hi to me so now I am feeling like they are slagging me off to the clients or telling them that I'm not good beautician etc because I still haven't managed to get into the industry and i've tried applying for jobs in that section.

I never got on with the daughter, if she asked me to do a job and I wasn't quick because hairdressing not my profession she would get so annoyed and would 100% making it aware, I would walk into the salon and the sink would be full of dirty cups, ive had to wash her hair a couple of times, If her mum didn't order something that she needed for the client that day she would get annoyed, she would be quick judge other people but not herself.

Hasn't this been going on for months now?!
If you work at a company they do not need to remove every trace of you when you leave - you just need to leave and move on.
Have you not managed to find another job yet? If you haven't you need to think about going mobile, you've said previously you have your own kit so go for it! You'll make more than what you were earning then anyway.
Perhaps talking to someone about why you're holding on to this so much would help...
I know you've put 'don't comment' at the top but this is obviously negatively affecting your life and if you can't forget about it and move on you definitely need to think about talking to someone who can help you understand why!

Having read your latest post and also your previous posts, it sounds as if this mother and daughter offered you work experience rather than employment to help boost your confidence and give you some experience of working in a salon. £10 a day is not even close to minimum wage so I can't possibly see how it could have been seen as employment unless they really were taking advantage of you.

Unfortunately it didn't work out as you admit you didn't get on with the daughter. I think we need to be honest here. Regardless of who was to blame, in a small salon there needs to be harmony amongst the staff so that could well have been the reason they chose to replace you with an apprentice.

You need to be tough to work in this industry! If you really want to be a beauty therapist you'll need to dust yourself down and put it down to experience and learn from it so you hopefully don't find yourself in the same situation again. So far you have been unable to do this and you're letting it eat away at you which is very unhealthy.

As AcidPerm said, you've received so much helpful advice in previous posts But this doesn't seem to have helped you deal with your situation for some reason. Of course we are complete strangers to you, maybe you would be better off talking to a family member or friend - someone who really knows you. I sense there could be other underlying issues here that we don't understand as we don't know you.

You're saying don't post if you're going to tell me to let it go... So you're just looking for people to agree with you?

If you want someone to sympathise call the Samaritans. They will listen. I'm not being rude but you are not looking for advice you are looking for sympathy and I don't think anyone will give you it here.

www.samaritans.org

I hope you feel better about this soon x

This happened so long ago, why are you still hung up about it. You chose to leave because they were getting an apprentice in, why? I don't understand why you are so bothered now about what the salon are doing and who they are hiring. And why would they be slagging you off to clients a year later? Maybe they pass you in the street and don't speak because 1. They aren't your friends and 2. They aren't even your clients. :rolleyes:

Gemma, I've read your posts and I really think if you cannot let go of this situation then you need to seek some help, it's obviously effected you a great deal more than it should. You need to let go and move on with your life. At the moment from what I can see you are completely fixated about the situation, it's not healthy!!

If I were your Mum, I would be giving you a good talking to and taking you down to your GP, it sounds like you are very stressed and need some professional help with some coping strategies.

Unfortunately hun you will get knocks in life and plenty of them, you need to learn how to cope, stop living in the past, learn from this and look to the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back