Really need some advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonJo

Reaction score
Ok so I'm 19, trained extensionist not hairdressing, desperate to get into hairdressing. Been interviewed for apprenticeships but no one round here is willing to take me on cus of my age :( obviously paying more the second year...

So I've been out of work since Christmas! I have loads of energy and enthusiasm but no where to focus it.

I do not have loads of money with rent Ect. So can't afford a full time college course as even though an apprenticeship is only £100, it still an income to help my partner towards rent..

So what do I do? Do I stick to trying hairdressing or do I do a crash course in something like make-up?!

I'm really at a dead end, hair extensions are only bringing in small income around my area.

I'm so stuck! I'm feeling so down cus I can't secure an apprenticeship or a job at the moment, any advice will be lovely! :(

Usually the full time courses are only 3 days a week (or they are around here). Maybe you could go & then get a part time job somewhere else for a bit of income. Or a night course? I couldnt afford to give up my job so I trained 2 evenings a week & worked full time.

If they take the youngsters between 16 -18 the apprenticeship is fully funded, for someone between 18 - 24 they only get 50% funding.

I'm 25 and I contacted a hairdressing school a couple of weeks ago and they offered me an apprenticeship so it looks like it is a do-able you just have to keep banging away till you find one that will take you.

I read a lovely comment on an earlier thread by an experienced geek who said that she took a a mature person in her salon and got a much better worker than a youngster she had previously - so there are people out there that appreciate what having an older trainee will bring.

This is a really useful website for searching apprenticeships https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/Apprenticeships.aspx

Good luck and I hope you get where you want to be xoxo

Keep looking for salons! I'd rather
An older apprentice anyday and I know other salon owners who feel the same! Maybe offer to do a trial day for free! ;)

Hiya hun im 32 with 2 small kids so full time wasnt an option for me, ive been doing a mature student part time evening course in hairdressing just about to finish my 1st year. I do a mon and wed evening 6-9pm
Ive found it brill have really loved it i was working 3 days a week along side it during the day but now im just doing my extensions for some cash tho that is what i love doing :)

Thanks guys for the advice I'll just keep trying and see how it goes :) x

Latest posts

Back