Really need your advice - unprofessional training course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbie58

Reaction score
Hi.
So I'm going to make this as brief and to the point as I can as it's a long drawn out story.

Basically I booked a package deal of day courses with a certain company when I was pregnant, and paid upfront. I made it clear that I needed to complete all of the courses before my baby's due date, which was agreed and all courses booked in.

I attended all courses other that one which were quite awful to be honest. Starting late and finishing early, very unprofessional.
On the morning of the remaining course (baring in mind I had to travel around 1hr20mins drive each way) I got a phone all just as I was leaving my house saying she had to cancel due to her being poorly. She said she would get back to me as to when she could next do the course for me.
When she got back to me she said she could do it a couple of weeks later, which was after my baby's due date, so I told her I couldn't accept that date due to obvious reasons as she was aware.
As I wouldn't be able to fit in the course before my baby was born, I asked for a refund for the remaining course.

This is when the problems started. I paid for my courses in May, had my baby in July, and barely heard from her untill now, April the next year!! She has been a nightmare with getting back to me, constantly ignoring all of my. Emails, phone all's, texts and voicemails. It has been so stressful for over 9 months.
When she did get back to me occasionally it was always full of excuses and she refused my refund saying she will just honour my course for me still.
I told her this would be no good as I can't get childcare now to look After my baby to travel to her.
This is when she said she would travel to me to do the remaining course.
Again I couldn't get in touch with her. I couldn't get her to actually do the course for me, or to give me my money back!

She held my money for 10 months as well as not giving me my service I paid for! It's been such a stressful experience for me and I just don't know what else to do.

Eventually last week she agreed to the refund as she couldn't accommodate the course for me, which I received, but no compensation or apology to me!
I've been financially disadvantaged by not being able to offer the course to my clients for all this time, so lost money, and also she has held my money for all this time with it sat in her bank account!
How can she just decide this on her terms?

The cherry on the cake was when I managed to get a reply from her about compensation, she said because "I cancelled the course" I wouldn't be entitled to compensation....What?!? She was the one who cancelled on me at such late notice!

I'm so angry and can't let her get away with such bad practices. I don't want anyone else to be in my position. This is only a very small part of all if the problems I've had with her, and I can't get across on here all of the details without bombarding you.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?? I feel like I should be due compensation for her holding my money and not giving me what I paid for for so long and interest gained on my money but she is completely ignoring all of my contact now. Most of all I want to warn everyone to stay clear as I would hate others to go through all of the constant chasing and dress I have been through.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post
Xx

Hi.
So I'm going to make this as brief and to the point as I can as it's a long drawn out story.

Basically I booked a package deal of day courses with a certain company when I was pregnant, and paid upfront. I made it clear that I needed to complete all of the courses before my baby's due date, which was agreed and all courses booked in.

I attended all courses other that one which were quite awful to be honest. Starting late and finishing early, very unprofessional.
On the morning of the remaining course (baring in mind I had to travel around 1hr20mins drive each way) I got a phone all just as I was leaving my house saying she had to cancel due to her being poorly. She said she would get back to me as to when she could next do the course for me.
When she got back to me she said she could do it a couple of weeks later, which was after my baby's due date, so I told her I couldn't accept that date due to obvious reasons as she was aware.
As I wouldn't be able to fit in the course before my baby was born, I asked for a refund for the remaining course.

This is when the problems started. I paid for my courses in May, had my baby in July, and barely heard from her untill now, April the next year!! She has been a nightmare with getting back to me, constantly ignoring all of my. Emails, phone all's, texts and voicemails. It has been so stressful for over 9 months.
When she did get back to me occasionally it was always full of excuses and she refused my refund saying she will just honour my course for me still.
I told her this would be no good as I can't get childcare now to look After my baby to travel to her.
This is when she said she would travel to me to do the remaining course.
Again I couldn't get in touch with her. I couldn't get her to actually do the course for me, or to give me my money back!

She held my money for 10 months as well as not giving me my service I paid for! It's been such a stressful experience for me and I just don't know what else to do.

Eventually last week she agreed to the refund as she couldn't accommodate the course for me, which I received, but no compensation or apology to me!
I've been financially disadvantaged by not being able to offer the course to my clients for all this time, so lost money, and also she has held my money for all this time with it sat in her bank account!
How can she just decide this on her terms?

The cherry on the cake was when I managed to get a reply from her about compensation, she said because "I cancelled the course" I wouldn't be entitled to compensation....What?!? She was the one who cancelled on me at such late notice!

I'm so angry and can't let her get away with such bad practices. I don't want anyone else to be in my position. This is only a very small part of all if the problems I've had with her, and I can't get across on here all of the details without bombarding you.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?? I feel like I should be due compensation for her holding my money and not giving me what I paid for for so long and interest gained on my money but she is completely ignoring all of my contact now. Most of all I want to warn everyone to stay clear as I would hate others to go through all of the constant chasing and dress I have been through.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post
Xx

I can appreciate you are stressed about this situation but I would be rational about it. How much money did she take?, how much interest did you lose?What did you train in? Are all key questions.

One thing I would not do is I would NOT be rubbishing her online through reviews e.t.c as you trained there it could reflect badly on your ability.

Imo I think you should just let it go. You got a refund. Best way to deal with that is not to recommend her again or book her again. You are just creating more stress for yourself you don't need.

I'd just let it go and chalk it down as experience. Seeking compensation would be a lengthy and stressful process with no guarantee of a positive outcome.

Agree with the above. Let it go. It can be liberating. You have your money and you have your baby.

Take a deep breath, call her all the names under the sun - the c word can be useful here - and let it go. I've had a similar costly experience. I was told to pursue through Facebook posts and twitter as the company weren't acting illegally, just not very ethically. I decided that negative posts really are a negative vibe so I got the guys pic on the computer, ensured I was alone, called him two sides of a c word and told him I would spend no more time thinking about him or letting him affect my life. When I have my refund I will write about his company but for now I'm at peace and he's still a c!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I totally agree with all of the above. I doubt she's just going to just agree to give you compensation out of goodwill and going down the legal route will be costly for you with no guarantees. Let it go for the sake of your own peace of mind.

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am very good at what I do thankyou, however this doesn't change the fact that it was unprofessional, starting late and finishing early, as well as not being contactable and keeping my money for 10months. That doesn't reflect badly on my ability at all, it's completely unrelated. I have not mentioned the name of the course provider and company name so not directly rubbishing anyone, just wanted some advice.
It's the point more than anything, I can't let anyone believe it is ok to treat anyone in that way especially when they are paying for services, and want to see if there are further ,measures to take to make sure it doesn't happen to others, as it was the last thing I needed along with everything else of having a newborn baby.

Abbie, what Bettybaa is trying to say is publicly slating a training provider on a public forum where 1000's of people are active. If not posting, they're reading.

I appreciate your frustration, but as Bettybaa asked...how much money.did you lose, what would be the amount of interest you would of lost snd what was the course you didn't get a chance to finish?

Do you also have proof with a receipt or z bank statement with this sum of money on it? If no, you won't have a leg to stand on.

If it's a minimal amount, it would probably cost you more taking it to the small claims court

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I believe what Bettybaa said has been taken out of context. No one is saying you a not good at what you do.

BUT if a training company has a bad reputation so will the qualifications gained by them. Unfortunately rightly or wrongly this is the case I am afraid.

As for compensation this will depend on what the training was for, how much was paid and if you have any proof. Unfortunately without all this it may not get you anywhere and cost you money in the long run.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Xx

I'm not sure what you mean by compensation?

I can see you are talking about a refund for the segment of the course you missed..is that what you mean?

That in itself could be tricky to work out if the block booking entitled you to some sort of discount on training.

As for 'compensation as it didn't all go as planned' ..no chance. I think these are called consequential losses ( hotel bookings, travel tickets ) and they are never covered.

Neither would ' I didn't think the course was good so I want some money back'. I think there is always a risk associated about taking a course. Not just the quality of teaching. I've taken some duff ones in my time! :lol:

It's awful if people are willing to accept this behaviour from a course provider.
She cancelled on me, then refused to give my money back for 9months with promise that she would come to provide me the course, then eventually after making me wait all that time decided she wasn't going to do that.
In this time I could of booked another course with that money if she was unable to provide it for me.
I am asking for advice on my situation, not publicly slating a company that I have named. I'm not actually doing any damage at all to the company as no one knows who I'm talking about.
It's not the amount of money now that I'm worried about, it's making sure this doesn't happen to other people, I know it would cost me more time, effort and money taking it further, but it is tempting considering the situation. That's no way to run a business.

Speak to trading standards and see what they can do for you.

Take them to small claims but make sure you have all the evidence to back up your claims that you have tried constantly in the 9 months period to re-arrange or ask for a refund.

No one is saying that they accept the actions of bad companies but we can't do anything other than advise. We are a hair and beauty forum not the law.

You said that she offered to extend the course for you but you couldn't due to childcare. I take it your maternity has now ended this month if you had your child in July. Do you think you may have let the training and course dates/refund slide over the 9 months as you couldn't attend for the 9 month period due to no childcare?

If you had completed all the other courses apart from the last one, the argument that the training was awful won't stand up either as you continued to train with them even after the first bad course.

Personally I would just take my refund and move on and book better training elsewhere.
Im not sure why you are looking for compensation because you state you couldn't of trained after you had your child in July. You haven't lost any business as you didn't have childcare to be able to offer services.

Courses don't always run smoothly and date can change.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I have lost business, I have been working since 2 weeks after giving birth, however I have been unable to travel the distance down to her which was alway discussed with her. This is why she agreed to complete all my courses before my baby was due to be born as she was aware I couldn't do the courses afterwards. She agreed to come to me instead to do the remaining course as she cancelled at such late notice. So it wasn't a case of me not being able to do it for a whole 9 months.
And yes I have all evidence. I know your not the law, only a forum, I just wanted advice and to see if anyone had been in a similar situation

Trading Standards are unlikely to be interested unless there's a string of dissatisfied clients, hundreds of pounds outstanding and/or serious harm suffered. (Think cowboy builders)

If she's now refunded the fees, then what will you be claiming for? You've actually had the 'benefit' of some training and the courts won't be interested in judging the quality of the training provided.

I appreciate you feel concerned about other therapists potentially wasting their money but perhaps she's better organised now, who knows? Fact is, you can't stop other people making mistakes.

As we always remind Geeks on here, do your homework before booking any course. Make sure the course and the trainers are properly accredited and fit for the purpose you need. Ask for recommendations from fellow geeks before booking. Caveat emptor - Let the buyer beware.

In comparison, there are lots of cheap one day hair extension courses around. Most of them are pretty basic but accredited so you can get insured with a few providers. If you have no hairdressing experience, these courses can seem like a huge rip off as you'll find it a struggle to put the training into practice. However, for qualified hairdressers, there ideal to teach a few basic techniques and provide the necessary accreditation to add to your existing services.

Horses for courses, as they say.

Yes it was fully accredited, which was why I was more shocked.
I would be claiming for the money lost in 9 months that I could of been earning money from offering the treatment to my clients, so loss of earnings, and not having the money in my account to be able to re book another course. Also the interest it would of accumulated in her account rather than mine, and the stress,and time it has taken and caused me.
I understand it probably wouldn't get looked into if I took it further but wanted to reinforce to people that this does happen and to be careful

I would have to take it further.
What a disaster!
Do you have a 'Fair Trading' tribunal or something you can approach for advice?
There is no way i could let it go, i would find out if there was any way she could be held accountable for shoddy practices.
Imagine if everyone was too scared, or couldn't be arsed to do something about people that were ripping them off.
And it WAS being ripped off!!!!!
Think of the state of affairs of retailers, business people, bankers, mechanics, HAIRDRESSERS, BEAUTY THERAPISTS, restauranters etc etc etc weren't accountable for shocking service, did what ever they wanted, and treated customers and clients with complete disrespect.
Bad news does not necessarily travel that fast, it may take years to see a business get what they deserve.
You go for it hun.
You never know, maybe there's a dozen other girls devastated like yourself that need that extra voice.
If nothing comes of it, at least you'll know you gave it your best shot, and you can look forward rather than back with regret, wishing you had've done something at the time.
Good luck honey, and wishing you the best of luck with your career and your new little family xxxx

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

THANKYOU!!! Sparkle treats.

You have completely summed up in a nut shell everything I'm feeling and trying to explain!

You wouldn't go anywhere else and expect to get that service from anyone! And you definitely wouldn't give that youself, so why should you expect it from another 'industry professional' ? Like I said before you can't run a business like that, yet I'm the one getting shot down by calling her unprofessional?

I'm glad that someone can see EXACTLY where I'm coming from. I really feel like I need to do everything I can to make a point, and do as much as I can.
Why should we just accept this? That attitude isn't right at all

Xx

Just to clarify...Accredited just means that the course provider has PAID an insurer to agree to consider providing cover to anyone that has completed the course.

That's all that being 'accredited' means.

Insurers have no real interest in guaranteeing the standard of the training other than expecting the course to have met certain qualifying conditions. It's actually fairly easy to get a course accredited.

Yes it was fully accredited, which was why I was more shocked.
I would be claiming for the money lost in 9 months that I could of been earning money from offering the treatment to my clients, so loss of earnings, and not having the money in my account to be able to re book another course. Also the interest it would of accumulated in her account rather than mine, and the stress,and time it has taken and caused me.
I understand it probably wouldn't get looked into if I took it further but wanted to reinforce to people that this does happen and to be careful

You will have to prove actual loss of earnings. In a previous role, customers had to show the actual loss from their business. So cancelling business/clients. Not being able to go to work due etc. They had to show statements from accountants to show losses etc.

How will you show what you have lost if you didn't do the actual course? How can you prove that you would of been busy with that treatment and clients would of wanted to book in with you if you hadn't done the course.

Its not just saying oh I couldn't offer this to xyz so I have lost 1k for the 9 months. You have to show actual loss.

I understand you are frustrated with the whole thing and I think most people would be but I don't know how far you can take it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes I know that, thankyou though. It gives me the impression that they should be a lot more professional though as they have taken the time to do this so are more likely to be in it for the long run. I had also ofcorse done my research and she has been doing this for many years. Regardless of that though accredited or not, you expect to get what you pay for and a decent level of service.

Latest posts

Back