Really need your advice - unprofessional training course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I understand that too nails. Thanks. Obviously that isn't the only thing though

All i could think of when i read your post is what would i do! !
If she didn't release your payment, how were you supposed to be able to pay for another course even if there WAS one available?
I certainly don't have money sitting around with nothing to spend it on! When i was having my first, i was so worried about going back to one wage that i felt guilty even buying a coffee let alone paying for a course that was supposed to help bring in an income.
Especially since she stole the money, which is what she did.
You paid, you got nothing .
Eventually you got your payment back. Imagine what you could have done with the money had she returned it to you.
She took advantage of a new mum to be, knowing that you would be upset, stressed, and preparing for a new baby! !!
What sort of person does that! !!!

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes yes yes you've got it exactly!!! It is stealing!
Thankyou for understanding makes me feel like I'm not going mad sparkle treats

You aren't going mad lovely, you just don't want to be ignored and want your frustration acknowledged.
Even if the whole thing ends up with just an apology, at least you know that you've been listened too xxx

Hi.
So I'm going to make this as brief and to the point as I can as it's a long drawn out story.

Basically I booked a package deal of day courses with a certain company when I was pregnant, and paid upfront. I made it clear that I needed to complete all of the courses before my baby's due date, which was agreed and all courses booked in.

I attended all courses other that one which were quite awful to be honest. Starting late and finishing early, very unprofessional.
On the morning of the remaining course (baring in mind I had to travel around 1hr20mins drive each way) I got a phone all just as I was leaving my house saying she had to cancel due to her being poorly. She said she would get back to me as to when she could next do the course for me.
When she got back to me she said she could do it a couple of weeks later, which was after my baby's due date, so I told her I couldn't accept that date due to obvious reasons as she was aware.
As I wouldn't be able to fit in the course before my baby was born, I asked for a refund for the remaining course.

This is when the problems started. I paid for my courses in May, had my baby in July, and barely heard from her untill now, April the next year!! She has been a nightmare with getting back to me, constantly ignoring all of my. Emails, phone all's, texts and voicemails. It has been so stressful for over 9 months.
When she did get back to me occasionally it was always full of excuses and she refused my refund saying she will just honour my course for me still.
I told her this would be no good as I can't get childcare now to look After my baby to travel to her.
This is when she said she would travel to me to do the remaining course.
Again I couldn't get in touch with her. I couldn't get her to actually do the course for me, or to give me my money back!

She held my money for 10 months as well as not giving me my service I paid for! It's been such a stressful experience for me and I just don't know what else to do.

Eventually last week she agreed to the refund as she couldn't accommodate the course for me, which I received, but no compensation or apology to me!
I've been financially disadvantaged by not being able to offer the course to my clients for all this time, so lost money, and also she has held my money for all this time with it sat in her bank account!
How can she just decide this on her terms?

The cherry on the cake was when I managed to get a reply from her about compensation, she said because "I cancelled the course" I wouldn't be entitled to compensation....What?!? She was the one who cancelled on me at such late notice!

I'm so angry and can't let her get away with such bad practices. I don't want anyone else to be in my position. This is only a very small part of all if the problems I've had with her, and I can't get across on here all of the details without bombarding you.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?? I feel like I should be due compensation for her holding my money and not giving me what I paid for for so long and interest gained on my money but she is completely ignoring all of my contact now. Most of all I want to warn everyone to stay clear as I would hate others to go through all of the constant chasing and dress I have been through.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post
Xx

I'm sorry but you really need to let this go.

You had a sprog and couldn't get childcare - that's your issue.

Plus you have the money back - what do you need compensation for? Emotional stress?!

Sorry for being harsh but had to be said.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

No that's not the case. If you read the thread properly you will see that it's not that I couldn't get childcare, I've been working since 2 weeks after birth. So actually no.....not my issue!

No that's not the case. If you read the thread properly you will see that it's not that I couldn't get childcare, I've been working since 2 weeks after birth. So actually no.....not my issue!

Fair enough but why do you need compensation when you already have your money back?

I've discussed this already. And I've also already said that it's the point of the way everything was handled rather than actually getting money back now. I struggle to see how so many people would just accept this? I really wonder what the world is coming to haha

I've discussed this already. And I've also already said that it's the point of the way everything was handled rather than actually getting money back now. I struggle to see how so many people would just accept this? I really wonder what the world is coming to haha

Well people usually get on with their lives.
There is more to life than compensation.

It says a lot about your idea of customer service. I expect decent standards, that's all.you obviously havnt read this thread properly if you just keep focusing on the compensation part.

What was the course for, and how much money did you pay/get refunded?

It says a lot about your idea of customer service. I expect decent standards, that's all.you obviously havnt read this thread properly if you just keep focusing on the compensation part.

Lets not go down this route.

I just get fed up with people constantly asking for money because they were "affected"

Once upon a time a refund was good enough but in this day and age it's must have money and get compensation.

Also if I was her I would be ignoring your "demands" for extras

At the end of the day you knew you were pregnant and should of made allowances for that.

To me you both cancelled the course as you had a kid and she could not accommodate you.

It may have been stressful but to be fair there are people who are in the middle of war zones who suffer far worse.

Would you mind giving us some idea of the cost of the missed course.... just to get some perspective of where you are coming from...., even though I know that is not your complaint. :|

Actually in your first post you did say you refused her offer to do the course because you couldnt get childcare.

I can understand that you entered into a contract with this lady and she didn't keep to her side of the contract so obviously you were disappointed and annoyed.

But you probably won't get anymore off this lady than your refund

If I were you I'd just try to forget about it ( even though you may feel like you shouldn't have too)

It will cause you more stress by trying to get an apology out of this lady, sometimes we have to accept that there's nothing we can do about other peoples behaviour and just leave it in the past.

I would take the refund and use it to go onto another training course and focus on that and put a positive spin on it rather than spending time feeling annoyed with this lady because to be honest she probably doesn't give it another thought and is carrying on with her day to day life.

I'd accept the refund as her apology and leave it there.

If all you are going to get out of it is an apology, then you need to know how much emotional upset you are prepared to accept to pay for it.

I think that is why everyone is saying let it go.

It's definitely not the standard of service that we should accept but I think living in this, day in, day out, it's hard to find the energy to fight it. When I first moved to the UK, I would quite happily complain or voice my upset if I thought the service in a place wasn't right. The responses I have had from some people are shocking! I felt I was fighting a losing battle.

I now surround myself with the positive and let go of the negativity. I am in control of this.

Which ever way to decide to proceed, I wish you lots of strength.

All i could think of when i read your post is what would i do! !
If she didn't release your payment, how were you supposed to be able to pay for another course even if there WAS one available?
I certainly don't have money sitting around with nothing to spend it on! When i was having my first, i was so worried about going back to one wage that i felt guilty even buying a coffee let alone paying for a course that was supposed to help bring in an income.
Especially since she stole the money, which is what she did.
You paid, you got nothing .
Eventually you got your payment back. Imagine what you could have done with the money had she returned it to you.
She took advantage of a new mum to be, knowing that you would be upset, stressed, and preparing for a new baby! !!
What sort of person does that! !!!

I seriously doubt the woman thought "oh there's a new mum to be, I'll take advantage of her". Clearly she behaved badly but let's face it, we all have stresses of some sort and can't blame other people's ill treatment of us on them taking advantage of our stress. The woman is clearly unprofessional and the situation would have right annoyed me too but she cancelled due to being ill...she didn't know she'd be ill when the booking was made. She should however have refunded as soon a refund was requested instead of stalling with promises of fulfilling the course when it seems she had no intention of doing so.

Sent from my C6903 using SalonGeek mobile app

HOW can you even take this to court....You should write a list of the possible outcomes via excel. NOT one outcome I can think of runs in your favour as;

1) She refunded you the money so she has not stolen anything.
2) CAN you prove loss of earnings via interest i.e through business accounts, ledgers e.t.c. not 'oh I was gonna book in a client'

3)Compensation for what???
4) Interest rates are extremely low at the moment and last year so even if she took a grand interest would be like £10.

5) She did not really mis-sell anything. i.e a teeth whitening course to a beautician

6) small claims court. You will be charged for the service AND will probably lose due to lack of evidence, be forced to pay for legal fees . This is due to the fact she advertised a course and 'level of teaching' is subjective, she had to rearrange but mistakes can happen and within your contract/leaflet/online advertisement their will probably be a disclaimer. For compensation you must show breach of duty NOT contract( what would that even be????)

7) You seem very emotional about this and emotions DO NOT win court cases facts do.

I have done courses in the past that have been so so and guess what I learnt to research more. For my level 2 I had appalling tuition from a very reputable college. 3 teachers quitting, lies being spread by lecturers about students , no guidance in practicals e.t.c.I learnt If you do not pursue action whilst studying/ accept any form of refund, free additional course e.t.c You WILL not have a leg to stand on as issue is sorted.
Going to a small claims court or doing anything that could damage YOUR trainers reputation is the absolute worse thing to do also as it will just make it seem as the training you received was rubbish and in turn you as a beautician are bad.

The only thing I could suggest is to write a strongly worded letter in regards to how you feel and hope for the best.This industry relies heavily on word of mouth so she will probably be out of business if the training is that bad.

p.s. I am sorry if it seems like we as a community/myself are 'ganging' up on you in regards to this / not being supportive. The responses you receive are merely suggestions and ultimately you need to weigh up YOUR choices. Good luck xx

Last edited:
How much was the course for? Although I understand your frustration, you have a refund, was the course GENUINELY that much that you couldn't afford to have booked onto another..

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back