Really need your opinions and business advise, want to get it right this time

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya jenny,
The salon your talking about its not the one in mansfield is it? :eek:

no hun its not in mansfield.

But i have spoken to huang today and am seriously re considering if i am honest. I actually did not realise as have not known her long that she is not only a beauty therapist trained in this country but she halso has a business degree.

She has said that in vietnam some years ago they brought in the 50 50 deal with business. That the goverment had some land their that was no good, but decided to tell everyone it was amazing. Then big companies from the uk went over to look at this land and they to after speaking with others also thought it was amazing.

The vietmanese goverment said you have the knowledge we have the land lets go 50 - 50. So the business were built and then came the clanger. The goverment said you also have to pay taxes on the land and so on to the point were the businesses went boost. She said english people that had gone over to work suddenly found out that there visas were suddenly expireing even though they should have had months left.

She explained that vietmanese are good money minded people and there is always an alternative to what they are doing. Ie she said her concern is that i go in on these terms i have mentioned above, get things rollin and a clientel base and then he will litterally kick me out and they are good at apposing contracts, and that i would be kicked out loosin all my stuff .

So guys i kinda been put off. They are gonna talk to me more tomo but i kinda think now it is a now go area:cry:

Hey Jenny,

I am like you. I get all excited (but who doesn't) want to jump in there and get my hands dirty so to speak, then get brought back to earth with reality, sometimes not what we want to hear....

I hope that you make the right decision for you and your family it is a good job that you have a family member that can help you out big time.

This guy has not had it easy and since he got the help to get him where he is might be a good thing for you. think positive until you have your meeting on tuesday it might be ok.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Our thoughts will be with you on tuesday.
x

:hug:Jenny try to remain postive hun, go on tuesday and get all the creases ironed out get your dads girl to talk to him and explain you have a family to think about and you need some sort of contract drawn up as you have had bad experiences with people in the past and do not want this to happen again. If he is reasonable which i think he is he will not have a no prob jen if he does and you cant reach a agreement that he is happy with then its not right babe. But go there with a fresh neutral mind hun! I know all these things happened in vietnamence (spelt wrong i know) but your in u.k and the u.k law is there to protect you and him both. hth:hug::hug:

:hug:Jenny try to remain postive hun, go on tuesday and get all the creases ironed out get your dads girl to talk to him and explain you have a family to think about and you need some sort of contract drawn up as you have had bad experiences with people in the past and do not want this to happen again. If he is reasonable which i think he is he will not have a no prob jen if he does and you cant reach a agreement that he is happy with then its not right babe. But go there with a fresh neutral mind hun! I know all these things happened in vietnamence (spelt wrong i know) but your in u.k and the u.k law is there to protect you and him both. hth:hug::hug:

Hi rock chic, you are so right, i am just so scared as well as do not want to be the one who end up in tears again.

I have been thinking and what huang has said maybe true and gives me an idea of what i could be up against. But thinking firther a head, all these issues could be dealt with in a legal contract.

Also, not sure if i have mentioned but i am seriously considering using this second room for anouther member and possibly geting a second person in, whome i will train to wax to the standard i have been tought and get them to cover the hours i am unable to work due to the children, meaning that even if i am not working i will still be earning. Only ideas but worth considering.

Also if goes a head i was thinking along the lines of a twelve month contract with a clause that if he requires me to leave the room he has to cover my expenses. Also that if i was to leave four weeks notice will be provided. Obviously this will need to be more in depth

Also he did say we were to go halves with equipment product etc. obviously i will be taking quite allot with me which will also need to be put into the contract. I think that he needs to provide the rest of the equipment needed to set these rooms up, so if anything does go wrong he keeps his machines couches etc and i take mine, but in regards to products to buy them and if again anouther problem, he has the oportunity to buy my share at market value or the stuff is divided up so we get equal amounts

love jenny

Sorry just replying now been out all day. Jen you have it sussed chick you will be grand talk to him get everything sorted, then you'll feel much better think the idea of second person is good but again this will have to be all trashed out iwth him to make it clear for you both,yes you will be gaining his clientele but remember he will be gaining yours dont sell yourself short. I know you can do it have faith in yourself dear. Talk soon cant wait to hear how you get on. Piece of advice write everything down you wanna ask him that wway you wont forget good luck and be postive. and most of all give hima chance he could be your guardian angel some things have a funny way of workin and if not hun nothing failed nothing gained scenario!!!:hug::hug:

Omg i am in shock i think, normally the exitement runs through my veins, but at the min i feel nothing. I think i need a right royal kicking as the info i got back last night is just amazing and yet i am like, (empty)

My reall dad shocked me yesterday as he and huang went to see the gentleman last night at the shop and then called in here.

Huang said he is very genuine indeed, he is also very green and young and that if i needed something i would be able to twist him round my littel finger. He is fully qualified and did his qualifications and 6 months working in a salon 6 days a week befor setting up for him self. He has owned this shop 12 months and is thriving and now has his own house with a garden:)

Huang said the room itself needs a brand new floor and decoration, he has been given a quate for 4000 pounds for the floor and will do it no problem, plus the deco and the window deco.

She said if i want i can just rent it or do the 50 -40 or work for him. But if i work for him i would have to work full time the hours he sayd.

He wants some one that is gonna be in for the long hall and not some one that is gonna come and leave after 3 month. Some one who wants to make some money. He will arrange for me to have clients on the days i am able to work.

The second room athough needs work is amazing apparently the light is fantastic and looks almost like a chapel. When the first room is done and business is going well i can rent the second room and basically the whole upstairs will be mine, to have whatever staff i want. All he wants from me is committment to make it work, make him a bit of money as well as myself.

Huang said it will cost me nothing as she has everything i need to make it a fully functioning salon. She said all her stuff is in storage at the moment and was considering shipping it over to vietname as they are planning on moving back next year when my dad retires, but she says by the time she has done that financially it will not be worth it so i can have the lot, down to the white towles from m&s that she had embroidered in vietnam.

So basically guys i have litterally been given my own rooms above a fully baced clentel downstairs with no rent rates etc all my equipment and all i have to do is well, put my uniform and work every hour i can.

Omg well i just can not beleive it. My dad will have the contract done. These things do not happen to me, i just well yep mmm:eek:

It sounds like someone has been looking out for you after all. whats for you wont go by you as they say.

I think that you should stand tall and take this great opportunity that has been given to you. Just think if you had not just asked that little question can you train me.

I am so happy for you that this is working out right. Good luck and you go girl.

Cath
x

Oh Huni, I'm so pleased for you! I've only just read this thread and was thinking that you should just go for it, opportunities don't come along often and when they do the phrase: "Its better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done" comes to mind.

You are incredibly lucky that you have Haung to help you with the language barrier and especially that she will give you all of that stuff!

I wish you a 110% success in your new venture, I'm sure you will succeed and become the successful business women you've always dreamed of! xx

I knew it hun i just knew it was right for you oh i just wanna give you and your dad and huang a big hug. You deserve this hun. I'm so happy for you and excited. You have been given an opportunity grab it with both hands and run!!!:hug::):hug::):hug: Keep me posted babe your going to have to do an opening and all!!

guys am really sorry but just forget my last posting, something has come up and i really do not no what to make of it i really don't. I am a very legally minded person and after speaking with my dad today, i honestly do not beleive it is so cut and dry, infact i think my dad is doing some wealing behind the scenes and my head is screaming alarm bells it really is.

The stuff huang was giving me , well david said today she is not giving them me, but to him and a deal will be made and not to worry that is just a minor detail and will benefit me ( whats that about)

Plus for me not to worry about a contract, vietmanese like to do it on a friendly basis ( Hello so i get in their work my but off and the bloke goes well she is dragging x, i will kick her out and pay some one 6 pound an hour.)

Just spoke to my mum, as have been out of my dads life for over twenty years, and she said he is out of order, should not have gone with out me and looks as though he is trying to get something out of it. Guys am i goin mad here or what, what shall i do. Walk away unscathed, or go and see this bloke myself today and try and make sence of it all ahhhhhhhh i just new it i did :irked:

I think that you need to sit down with the 3 of them and figure out what they are trying to sort out behind your back.

I hope it all goes well for you with or without the salon.

xx

Guys, i want to say a great big thank u for all your support and advise. I have made a decission. One thing i have learnt over the years is nothing in life is free. I have also learnt because i am of a soft nature always wearing my heart on my sleeve always fighting for one reason or anouther to get were we need to be. That people often take advantage of this and take the mick, well ill tell u no more!
One thing is for certain i aint thick and i certainly aint no one mug. From now on i will do everything on my terms.

i am not going for the shop, i have one here under my own roof that once i am sorted with a few things am gonna roll my sleeves up and get stuck in. You no something that way i have no one to thank, only my self and my hubby.
Again guys thank u:hug:

Jenny you asked me to be honest so I will be................

I want you to first take out th emotion from the situation. Dont worry about what you feel lets first look at whats on the table and for that you need a clear head.
1) You wax (primarilly) and this is what you are strongest at doing
2) You have been offered a room in an unorthodox place/ something out of the norm with a earnings split of 60/40

That's it for me I'm not thinking about language barriers, free training or products.

I want you to focus on what YOU can do and what is POSSIBLE for your situation.
1)You are a mother so what hours can you do?
2)What treatments will you provide - is it mainly waxing or all beauty?
3)Should you start with waxing first as mani/pedis & waxing go well together and really it's quite a non-standard salon so do they get many requests for facials or massage?
4) How much is enough wages-wise what can you survive on?

After answering these questions then you'll be closer to knowing what you want, you've already said you cannot do full time so that's a start.

As for the split its upto you I once rented for 30% of my takings above €50 and it worked out quite well and I provided all my equip and products. TBH I dont like other people buying my products as I'm quite clear who I use and when it comes to intimate waxng you dont want them changing to inferior products.

I also want to say it has nothing to do with your dad as this will be YOUR business and he is just there to put his 2 pennith in, he's done that so thank you very much and YOU make the final decision.

The easiest thing is a trial period where YOU go in with just YOUR wax pot and start there - it will be done on a 50-50 basis for a month then after you will have a feel for the place and can take it from there.

WOW long post after a loong read - I hope this helps hun, I just want you to see this from a better business point of view without the family ties.
PM and let me know what you think - fingers crossed

Vannessa

good idea vanessa i think a trial period would be a good thing.:hug::hug: jen are you o.k

Hi Jen. I think you kinda knew this was going to happen didn't you?
Reading your post when you found out, you said you felt numb??I think deep down you were expecting it, I'm so sorry for you, but these things happen for a reason babes you'll see, take care, you've got my number if you need a chat hun xx

GO FOR IT GIRL!!!. They are wiiling to show u their nail secrets, give you 60% AND pay for half your stuff, Come ON??. I wish I had the opportunity to learn vietnamese tricks of the trade. I have asked before and I was told no by two salons and laughed out of another. I have searched on the web for there nail secrets to no avail. There is a wealth of info on this site and Gigi tutorials r da bomb but if our main competitors are going to share their secrets, boi??. I would take that offer.

AND ....you have a Vietnamese person in the fam to help you out with the cultural and language barrier(and so u dont gt done over lol). Amen and Amen. Let me know the secrets, LOL or betta yet come on here and share them with us all like Gigi does.

One tip I have learnt: French Manicure. Paint from *smile line to free edge in a downward stroke, from left to right and then use a brush dipped in acetone to tidy smile line. If the polish consistency is just thick enough-one coat only needed. Polish lies flatter when painted in a downward stroke, is more flattering to the eye, and lasts longer.

*Paint slightly over the smile line so that when u use your brush to tidy the polish does'nt fall beneath the smile line.

xxxxxxxxxx

Hi guys, what would i do with out u lot eh. Redadmiral thank u for your words they really did make me sit up in my chair.

I rang him last night to find out what was what and what he wanted. He asked me what days i would work, in which i responded thur 10 -6 fri 10-7 and st 10-6, and the as business picks up i would consider more hours.
He replied by sayin, well who will work for me mon,tue,wed. mmm
He asked me how much it would cost him to buy everything, i replied anything from 5 thousand to 20 depending on what he wanted ( how long is a piece of string)

I said if he wanted some one six days i was the wrong person for him and you have to crawl befor u can run. That i was happy to bring my stuff and work from their and see how it goes and build up slowly. The language barrier made it so hard. He has asked me to go tonight and speak with him, whilst he thinks about the hours and so fourth.

How i am feelin well in a complete spin if i am honest, i do not think he wants to share a business more some one set it up for him and that later down the line well i guess i kinda no that answer.

Latest posts

Back