Really upset, client complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannajadem

CND Education Ambassador
Reaction score
Hi there, sorry it's a long one!
I haven't been on for a while because I am 17 weeks pregnant and feeling really ill still.
I rent a space in a salon, and if you read some of my previous threads, it wasn't going very well as it was only myself and the owner and the phone was just left to ring which I think is unprofessional, and a few other problems to do with her not giving me receipts for ages (i've had them now) and basically her not being there an awful lot due to family commitments and it felt like I was running the whole salon on my own, when it's not my salon.
Anyway since then, she's employed her sister two days a week and things were improving. I had built up a regular client base, gave all my clients my mobile number to avoid the phone situation and we had a really busy Christmas. I told my clients about the pregnancy a couple of weeks before Christmas and apart from a few panicking, most were really thrilled for me.
When I told the owner about the pregnancy 9 wks ago, she panicked quite a lot and talked about it all day, as she doesn't do nails and she didn't think she'd find someone to replace me etc etc.
Today we sat down for a 'chat' and she told me that a couple of weeks ago she'd received a written complaint from a client of mine and hers saying I was rude to her and didn't talk during the whole treatment and she felt she couldn't come back to the salon so has her nails done elsewhere. The owner wouldn't tell me who it's from as it's 'confidential' so I've asked to see the letter if she obliterates the client's details. I'm hoping she will produce this beacuse I honestly can't think of an incident in the last few weeks where I've had a new client and this has happened. I told the owner this and she said that she witnessed the incident and had to step in and make jokes with the client because 'it was awful'.
I explained that it MUST have been an isolated incident because I have many happy regular clients and the owner replied that no, apparently people have been commenting for months that I seem really unhappy in work, my appearance is bad and have been asking what's wrong with me and the owner said she's 'sick of lying for me, and I'll have to change the way I am in work'.
I asked if this was the past 3 months or so people had been saying this as obviously maybe the reaon I feel down is because I've been feeling so ill. The owner said she wished it was but people were commenting beforehand also.
I'm really upset that if that's the case, why has nothing been said before now?

She sad that she wished it was only a handful of people who commented on my attitude, but apparently it's been 'loads'. She also said that she noticed that I dont greet people who come in the door (I work in reception, she's in her room), and I was gobsmacked because I always say hello to people and I really am so upset at the whole situation because it doesn't add up. For example, on average once a week the owner and her sister will go out for lunch, leaving me in the salon alone when there really is no need for them to go together, and if my service skills were that bad, why would she leave me alone with her clients? I'm also slightly peed off that she obviously thinks it's my job to be receptionist for her when she's in treatment, but I can't really leave my clients in the middle of a treatment to see to hers.

Does anyone know if I've a right to see the letter because obviously if this client has had a treatment with me and I rent, then it's a complaint I should deal with but apparently she's already phoned the woman and apologised, before even getting a response from me. I do feel awful if this is a genuine complaint though and I did apologise to the owner because the last thing I want to do is scare clients away, esp. my own!

The owner did mention expanding the salon to upstairs to include training rooms, and she said that if she did, I'd have to go upstairs which I don't mind but I wonder if this is because of the complaint. I asked her if she would find it easier for me to leave and she was silent for a while before saying 'no', so I'm thinking she wants me out and I don't know what to do with the baby on the way, obviously I'd have some time off but I was obviously thinking of returning and now I don't know if I want to, I feel like this isn't the salon for me maybe?

Sorry it's so long!

Oh hun, that sounds just awful :-(
Obviously I don't know your boss or you, but from what you have explained to me it seems like since you told her of your pregnancy (congratulations by the way xx) shes trying to find ways of getting you out, this might not be the case at all but it does seem that way by what you have said.
I dont know if by law you should have a right to see this letter as Im self employed but if the complaint is about you I would *think* you should be shown so you can like you said deal with it. If she wont show you this by saying it is a data protection thing I would ring up an advice center and check if this is indeed the case, if it isnt, and she simply wont produce said letter I would again seek advice as it could be what I first mentioned. Its a very tough situation for you to be in, more so as you are expecting and simply do not need the stress of this.
I hope this is resolved for you, with the outcome you want :)
Good luck honey x

Oh hun, that sounds just awful :-(
Obviously I don't know your boss or you, but from what you have explained to me it seems like since you told her of your pregnancy (congratulations by the way xx) shes trying to find ways of getting you out, this might not be the case at all but it does seem that way by what you have said.
I dont know if by law you should have a right to see this letter as Im self employed but if the complaint is about you I would *think* you should be shown so you can like you said deal with it. If she wont show you this by saying it is a data protection thing I would ring up an advice center and check if this is indeed the case, if it isnt, and she simply wont produce said letter I would again seek advice as it could be what I first mentioned. Its a very tough situation for you to be in, more so as you are expecting and simply do not need the stress of this.
I hope this is resolved for you, with the outcome you want :)
Good luck honey x

I totally agree with everything written here!!

I very much doubt clients would complain because you were quiet and women usually understand that sometimes we're not always 100%

I would insist in seeing this letter... I'm sure you're entitled to, but me being me, I would totally call her bluff and say I'd had legal advice and was told I have a right to see it!... probably bad advice, but hey what do you have to lose?.. I bet there's no letter, otherwise she'd have shown you!!

Congratulations on your lovely news by the way and you should really try to not worry about anything... it's just not worth it... you need to concentrate on you and your baby now, so don't let it get to you... :hug:

I've just had a quick peek at your album and your work is really lovely.. I very much doubt you've had all those complaints!!

Why is she only telling you about all these complaints now and not when they happened??

I'm smelling a rat here!!

Thank you for backing me up Karen. I am the first to admit im not very leagally minded LOL I've just seen something similar happen to a family member they claimed total BS which ended my very closed family member having a very bad metal breakdown :-(

Us women especially will always understand that we are not our best sometimes during pregnancy, if they dont, well go get a treatment somewhere else :p

I agree too! I was writing a massive essay and just lost it all!! lol

Ive been in the same similar situation, just remember your self employed, not her employee, Your clients are your clients.

Generally if clients think something is wrong they ask you if your ok etc, might be an idea to chat to a few close clients to see what they think of the atmosphere, your service etc. You might just find this person lieing to you.

Do you have a contract?
How do you pay her? As you earn or monthly?

Congrats on baby too :)

x

Does your insurance offer you any legel help? ring them on monday and find out.

It they dont, for the love of god go on monday and get some legal advice, Citizens advice, or even find a solicitor that is willing to give you a free initial appointment.

If you cant go and bite the bullet and get some paid advice.

You have a right to see the letter and you also have other rights. SHe is NOT your employer and she is totally overstepping the mark her.

Dont let anyone take everything you have worked so hard for. get it sorted out!!!

Thank you so much for your replies, I've been going out of my mind all night trying to work out who it is and what I specifically did and just can't think of anything.
Regarding the other comments made months ago, half of me thinks maybe clients were picking up on the bad atmosphere there but I don't know why she wouldn't have told me then.
I was planning on working till the end of my pregnancy but don't know if I want to stay there much longer.
I will seek advice from ACAS as I really want to see this letter. Surely she can show it to me if she photocopies it covering the clients name and address?
I have a contract and pay a set rent weekly btw. I am self employed.

First of all congratulations on your pregnancy hun, this is wonderful news :) Secondly this just doesn't add up for me. If your boss has received a number of complaints then I just can't understand why at the time nothing has been mentioned to you. Thirdly why are your returning clients coming back if they are not satisfied and unhappy with your manner. Also she noticed herself you were not greeting clients, how is that your job and why didn't she mentioned to you she wasn't happy about it.:irked: I agree I would ask to see the letter of complaint as it concerns you and also follow up with citizens advice. Some people don't like the chatter and just want a nice relaxing treatment and if your work is great, I don't see the problem with that. To be honest hun, some things happen for a reason and perhaps you can go mobile or find another salon to work in after you had your baby. Can you work from home is that allowed in your lease? It sounds like you have a very good client base, so stay strong hun, don't get deflated and without stressing yourself out, get to the bottom of this. Good luck and keep us posted :hug:

To be honest I think your clients are picking up on the bad atmosphere caused by that person!!

How much notice do you have to give if you were to leave?
first and formost you have to think of yourself,baby and your business, will your business work if you stay there? could you resolve issues with her? remembering stress is not god for you right now!!

Could you set up at home maybe and get your clients coming to you? personally Thats what I would do, and even when you have had the baby they can still come to you, I know it will probably be hectic but having any time off would cause them to go elsewhere.

When I left I went mobile and it was the best thing I ever did leaving and all my clients stayed with me and understood my situation.

x

Congratulations on your pregnancy !

Im not sure where you stand on the letter. Do you really think it exists ?

It doesn't sound like she hasn't been very supportive of your pregnancy, naturally she is probably concerned about the future of her business when you go on maternity leave but she should discuss this with you.

If you have a regular busy client base I can't see how there can be much truth in what she is saying. If you only had a handful of clients and not much repeat custom then maybe she has a point but I can't understand why she would wait until now to say anything.

I think you need to decide long term if you want to stay there. How long were you planning on having maternity leave for ? Will she want rent whilst you are off ?

I have to give 4 weeks notice which I was thinking of doing after my next scan as all my regulars know I'm pregnant and are happy for me to do them mobile or from home, but the way I feel right now I want to hand it on on Monday.
The more I think about it the more peed off I get, as if I didn't telephone clients back or get up from my desk mid treatment to book clients in for her then there'd be no one else to do it and I don't get any credit for this, just 'you're not doing it ''right'.
Thank you all for the advice, it makes me feel better that maybe this isn't all my fault after all.

you will feel so much better for handing your notice in!! if you can do it at home or mobile it will take alot of weight off your shoulders!

good luck in watever you decide to do, It can only get better!!

xx

Bombini- I would have to pay to keep the space open but wasn't planning on it as I can't afford to and also, she would still use the space when I'm off as she is actually qualified in Mani and pedi so shed gain some business that way.
I was only planning on having about 6 weeks off tbh and returning part time as this will be my second and the first will be in fill time school by then, freeing my childminder up to watch the baby.
As far as the letter goes, I honestly don't know if it exists but I'd love to see it so I know how to improve. I don't think she's the type to make up a lie but it sounds fishy that everyone knows I'm pregnant ( I've been throwing up in work and am quite big already) and this client obviously couldn't be forgiving. I just hope that when the owner did phone her back she explained that I've been feeling
awful.

I wouldn't want to stay there if it were me.

If she DID have those complaints "loads of them" as she says... she would have told you at the time.

It's her Salon and she should have brought the problem to your attention when she had the first complaint... I don't believe she had any complaints myself, as if it were MY Salon, I'd have told you about the complaints when they happened.

I can assure you if it was bothering her or her business you would have been in for a chat long before she received this supposed letter, no salon owner wants unhappy clients or bad business:irked: I hope whatever you decide to do, it all works out for you :hug:

Firstly congratulations on your wonderful news. Secondly I concur with the others on here, this smells so fishy its honking. Please please do take legal advice, many solicitors do offer the first visit/chat free of charge, or use the Citizens Advice Bureau. If this complaint was real this women would have shown you the letter of complaint so that you could respond, bearing in mind this was against you and not her. This so sounds like a reason to get you to leave of your own volition rather than forced which gets her out of any legal loophole. Good luck and hope all goes well. xx

no letter exists.

she is making it up as she goes along.

she panicked once you said you were pregnant and let her mouth run away with her before engaging brain.

she cannot produce letter as their is no letter. call her bluff, say you've seeked professional advice and as you are s/e you are entitled to see the letter.

if thier were the hoards of complaints that she suddenly produced , why is she leaving you to run her shop.

leave.

start making your clients aware of your plans.

if she asks why you are planning on leaving (because she will find out) you can tell her you would rather work somewhere where you were valued rather than somewhere where one letter of disputable proof as you have not seen the letter, and heresay from herself, is not a nice place to work.

enjoy your pregnancy.

make all of your clients feel special.

make sure you have up to date information on all of them and plan your escape.

R-U-N

Hi,

Sounds very suspect to me - If there were 'loads' of complaints she would have spoken to you by now - I speak to my staff about any complaints (however small) at end of that working day - I think you need to so it is fresh in your mind and their mind.

To be honest though, this it is not about complaints is it? Congratulations on your pregnancy, focus on that and when you are ready to start work again start somewhere new and forget that mean and sneaky person! I think that your working relationship with her is over and you would never feel comfortable there again.

Alex-Lydia

I agree! If she had had all the complaints she claims shes had, she would have told you immediately and not waited, as its not only your reputation but hers. I don't believe her for minute. Enjoy your pregnancy and your baby and don't worry about it any more. You're better off with out her xx

Latest posts

Back